The Ryzen unlocked multiplier meme

>Bought a R7 5800x
>AMD says the multiplier is unlock
>Tries to overclock, but the CPU gets unstable
>Increases Vcore, but cooler is always on full rotation
>Basically the CPU has no overclock headroom

Is there any reason to get a CPU with unlocked multiplier, if there is almost no headroom for overclock?

Overclock was only worth when you could buy a E2140, then oc from 1.6 ghz to past 3.0 ghz.

Attached: AMD-RYZEN-ZEN.jpg (1200x675, 56.05K)

>Is there any reason to get a CPU with unlocked multiplier, if there is almost no headroom for overclock?
liquid nitrogen

the multiplier is unlocked on all AMD chips. CPUs from intel and AMD alike are shipped almost at their maximum stable overclock out of the box. Ryzen is also notorious for performing better when you let it autoboost. As for unlocked multipliers on Intel, it's worth it if you want the better clock speed out of the box. I run a stock 9900k because it already boosts to 5.0GHz all core stock. I actually undervolted it to get the same clocks at less power.

Does AMD even sell user grade CPUs that are not locked?

Boost algorithms are so good on modern CPUs that you're better off enabling PBO and leaving it alone.

I think the only CPU's AMD sells with locked multipliers are EPYC and technically, that's server/pro grade shit.

You're not supposed to manual OC the all core multiplier on Ryzen you retard. You enable PBO2, adjust the TDC/EDC/PPT to your specific CPU lottery/Mobo, and use curve optimizer to give your best cores more mhz and your worst cores less voltage think of p core e core bs on Intel but all your cores are p cores after you're done tweaking with PBO2+CO.

Attached: RDT_20220204_1226157419440994305838707.jpg (2188x1374, 564.9K)

Athlon 200GE used to be locked

You're an idiot if you think a phased out generation will give you overclock room

user, just 1usmus's ClockTuner for Ryzen (try both 1.0 and 1.1 as one is more stable than the other one certain CPUs) and let it test for you. Else just use Ryzen Master and start with undervolting some and testing.

Today's CPUs are all overclocked out of the box.

>get mutilated at birth
>blame it on amd
many such cases

i buy overclockable cpus and never overclock. i just want higher binned silicon and more vrms.

Overclocking has not been worth the money for 20yrs now, because intel locked down their cpus after the celeron a300/pentium III fiasco. Amd followed soon after that.
Even if you buy a unlocked cpu now, it won't do you any good, because they have already been binned close to their maximum performance.

Attached: smug_su.jpg (1280x720, 92.13K)

>i buy overclockable cpus and never overclock.
Why paying 10% more for a feature that you'd never use ?!

Attached: mastermind mastercucked.png (830x607, 580.98K)

There is no reason to overclock ryzen, period. I remember if you can get the 1600 to 4GHz at all it'll be a tiny increase. I don't think much has changed from what I've seen.

Overclocking cpus hasn't been worth the money,

I oc my ram and gpu regularly. Even if, say, a ryzen 7 5800x is close to peak performance from the box... does it matter? Modern cpus do such insane processing that I almost don't give a shit if I can't overclock them.

Now I see why he's so retarded.

>be me
>buy cheap ryzen chip and cheap motherboard
>chip is basically maxed out from the factory
> still lets me tune and squeeze the rest out of it myself
where as
>buy cheap intel chip and mobo
>everything is locked down
>chip is clocked limited at least 500mhz from its full potential
>can cheat in an OC using higher end boards and the clock gains are real
OP its about being friendly to the consumer and having good value. I don't have to buy top end AMD parts to tweak around, the same isn't true for intel and it really kills a lot of value proposition for their low end.

Intel needs to bring back the days of sandy bridge, cheap unlocked motherboard, $199 unlocked chip, and leave the silicon lottery to us.

>anti amd threads ryzing up few weeks before 5800x3d launches

who knew like a clockwork

PBO will likely get the best performance of of it without you having to do anything, however I found on my 3900X the core voltage it was using for PBO was insane and temps were crazy high so I turned it off. My manual overclock doesn't boost as high but voltage and temps are much lower which I prefer and it benches above stock so do whatever best fits your build

Userbenchmark says Intel is better anyway.

PBO and undervolt slightly