The Linux File Hierarchy is Utopian Communism

This is what happens when you let the bottom of the barrel of genetic trash design an OS. The ideal system should contain one folder for programs, with one folder per program, and another for user data. No more, no less.

Attached: 1629102640116.png (1600x567, 81.53K)

>one folder for programs
true
>and another for user data
also true.

>one folder per program
ah, yes /bin/cat/cat and is a huge improvement over /bin/cat

Wtf I love the linux file hierarchy now.

elaborate.

you are wrong

>utopian communism
>hierarchy
user, I... recommend you to learn what tag fs concept is. THAT is utopian communism.

Where do device files go?
Should root's user data be held with the data of other users, so if user data is on a partition that fails to mount, none of root's data is accessible either?
Where do system-wide config files go since they might be used by several programs?
Where are you going to put what used to be in /boot?
Where do swap files go?

And the English alphabet has too many letters that make a "K" sound. Fucking Neanderthals

>hurr linux sux

Attached: tldr.gif (380x298, 402.68K)

macOS actually has a decent structure initially.
It becomes a complete clusterfuck rather quickly, especially with sandbox containers, but the basic premise has merit

>root's data
>partition
>swap files
Does not belong in a consumer product.
>system-wide
Communist drivel.
>/boot
In the programs folder.

Device files are just programs. To the programs folder they go.

based

Attached: nixos.png (1183x1024, 88.42K)

how the fuck does the package manager work?

>Communism
It's a kludge for legacy compatibility with a hierarchy created by a private business.

Attached: mmm yea.jpg (235x214, 6.9K)

This. The UNIX philosophy of filesystems is literally Fascism.

the history of this 'structure' is largely organic and based on need
more specifically they just kept adding disks and adding 'mount points' with names that were short because memory is lazy and fingers are expensive

I also think tranny fags are bad just adding this bit of context

Loonix inherited file hierarchy from eunichs, but yeah, Thompson and Ritchie are genetic trash and criminals.
Also:

> You know how Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie created Unix on a PDP-7 in 1969? Well around 1971 they upgraded to a PDP-11 with a pair of RK05 disk packs (1.5 megabytes each) for storage.

>When the operating system grew too big to fit on the first RK05 disk pack (their root filesystem) they let it leak into the second one, which is where all the user home directories lived (which is why the mount was called /usr). They replicated all the OS directories under there (/bin, /sbin, /lib, /tmp...) and wrote files to those new directories because their original disk was out of space. When they got a third disk, they mounted it on /home and relocated all the user directories to there so the OS could consume all the space on both disks and grow to THREE WHOLE MEGABYTES. And thereafter /usr is used to store user programs while /home is used to store user data.

OP has brainrot

I also have /opt for packages from added repos

Attached: file.png (499x38, 6.26K)

I laughed

Attached: 1644441076346.jpg (800x800, 137.32K)

GNU Guix doesn't have this problem.
Checked.
Also, based and nixpilled.

Attached: gnu-guix.png (1200x1360, 298.27K)

>bin
>sbin
ebin