Decentralized service like discord?

So I’d recently gotten an account I use very frequently and have been subscribed to nitro for a while suspended by discord. This made me disillusioned to their service, and other centralized services. So are there other decentralized services that offer the same features as discord? I remember hearing of guilded, but they’re not decentralized, and Matrix.org, which is decentralized but doesn’t offer a comparable set of features (e.g. message editing).

Attached: 22E5CF1A-8C8E-47E1-BB24-D0099B837B48.png (213x240, 4.96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

element.io/
github.com/revoltchat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Matrix, more specifically Element
element.io/

This unironically... The problem with it tho is the fragmented community. Otherwise just go back to IRC servers.

Is matrix able to be modified to allow a home server to have editing, emoji reactions, etc etc? cuz I remember checking if they even had message editing capabilities and don’t remember seeing an affirmative answer.

Element is federated not really decentralized per say. But butter then full on centralization. Matrix is workimg on a p2p option though. But if you want an actual p2p option, there is jami and tox. They have both desktop and mobile clients.

>not really decentralized
I went on their subreddit to ask if I could be banned, and it seems like as long as I host my own server, I can’t. I basically just want a discord I can control, so whether or not it’s truly decentralized matters less to me
>jami and tox
Haven’t heard of jami, I’ll give it a look sometime

If by editing you mean changing the content of your message after you sent it, yes it's possible with Element, emoji reactions as well.

There is a protocol call IRC that does mostly what you asked for, although some stuff you will have to depend on the client for

o ok, good to know. I haven’t used element/matrix much, so if you have, and have used discord extensively, how comparable would you say the two are?

I’ll give it a look. Sounds like I can develop my own client for it to do what I want if need be, too?

yeah you could, it will be easier to just steal an open sourced client though

matrix is not trying to be discord its just trying to be a more extensible irc you will be extremely dissapointed if your thinking of matrix as discord but decentralized but it will work for say hosting a room with a few people to talk with in if your just looking for a replacement group chat to use especially if you self host so you cant be b& for wrong think

From what I know of, it’s the closest alternative to discord that I’ve heard of. Any more similar solution I’d have to work on myself, so for the time being matrix seems like a workable solution

yea, I may end up just forking one I like lmao

user there is no reason to make or modify a IRC client, many IRC clients have a scripting functionality built into them that allows you to make vast changes to said client. It will be easier in the long run.

/thread

github.com/revoltchat host your own centralized service so the only one who can ban you is yourself.

there's fosscord, this should be closest to discord
but it's not really ready yet, so you could perhaps contribute to its development or something

and not because of any security rules, just because you'd be the only one there

can those scripting changes be saved/exported somehow or would I just have to distribute my personal copy of the client to people I wanna chat with?

another one to keep an eye on, thx

pfff-

Why'd they ban you, op? Be honest.