/hsg/ - Home Server General

/hsg/ - Home Server General
Helium Free Edition

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server
>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.
>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud or seafile to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.
>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.
>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
labgopher.com
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/
forums.servethehome.com
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Previous thread

Attached: 1644612736203.jpg (1068x407, 166.01K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cyberpower.com/global/en/product/sku/powerpanel®_for_linux#downloads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rook, ceph is utter shit when it comes to deletion, I'm wiping my machines clean. We should have better wikis /hsg/ sisters.

That's my image in the OP.

I'd like to build a NAS, preferably rack mounted and fast enough to saturate a gigabit link. between 4-8 drives depending on what drives I can scavenge. Any recommendations? (cases, prebuilt servers like poweredges, whatever)

I could get 2 E5-2630L for 14€ each. Are it worth it or just E-waste because of the L? Any good budget dual sockets I could put them in of they're ok?

What are you planning to do? I assume the L means lower power. If you can get a mobo that isn't a nightmare to work with it might not be a bad deal.

Maybe a stupid question but I've got an rpi, and some 3.5" HDDs, how can i connect them up? Powered usb hub and usb to sata cables?

>We should have better wikis /hsg/ sisters.
Would it make sense to have some (probably opinionated) guide to hardware and software, depending on a set of requirements and budget? I'm no expert but could contribute something, according to my own experiences and opinions that is.
Current wiki page is decent, has plenty of information but I feel that it's lacking some simple basic guide from 0 to home server.
Congrats user. I like the idea of OPs using pics from previous threads to be desu.
>rack mounted
Well, that would be one area of expertise where I wouldn't be able to contribute much.
>fast enough to saturate a gigabit link
Even a RPi4 with some recent HDD would be able to do that for linear reads and probably writes.
>3.5"
Better get USB to SATA enclosures that are already powered. Powered USB hubs and USB to SATA cables without external power supply work with 2.5" drives only.

I just spent like an hour writing a Nix package and NixOS service for PowerPanel, only to realize I can't use it, because they fuckers don't release an arm64 binary:
cyberpower.com/global/en/product/sku/powerpanel®_for_linux#downloads

What the actual fuck? I got myself a PowerWalker VI R1U 750VA for my network rack, and put a Raspberry Pi in there to monitor it over USB, but now that's not gonna work. My other option is using Network UPS Tools, but from what I've read the support for this model is garbage. And here I thought I was being clever by putting that RPi in.

Attached: IMG_20220205_153504.jpg (1510x713, 113.67K)

This is how it looked before.

You'd think there would be some standarized communication protocol for UPSes, but no, of course not. I did send them an email about it, but I doubt they will do anything.

Attached: IMG_20220205_130744.jpg (4608x2176, 2.18M)

Kek at the nix package name for NetworkUPSTools.

Attached: file.png (1175x289, 46.65K)

hsgchads,

nextcloud on rpi: based or cringe?

t. homeserverlet

>I like the idea of OPs using pics from previous threads to be desu.
At least pick a good one of someones setup, not of a g-tard getting scammed.

do you not have an actual home server and not some garbage pi? lol

just werks, so based imo

I have something better, I have a NanoPC-T4.

Attached: IMG_20211226_215422_hw.jpg (4608x2176, 2.61M)

that's not much better user.

Attached: 1614845788812.jpg (640x640, 37.81K)

so /hsg, what of these router brands is the best (price does not matter)
>netgate (pfsense)
>mikrotik
>ubiquiti (i have heard bad things about those)

Let me guess, you NEED more?

Attached: 1630724678539.png (1112x544, 79.79K)

What are you hosting, /hsg/?
Post more setups.

Nextcloud, private git and vpn server for accessing LAN on the go

does anyone here use ZeroTier for accessing their LAN remotely? ive been finding it quite handy so far but im a bit schizo with it being relatively new and not very widely deployed.