Linux's ZRAM feature BTFOs Wintoddlers and iToddlers

Linux is well known to have shitty memory management by default, but I always see people using Windows on older laptops/ older Macbooks and always complaining about the thing freezing when running a lot of browser tabs due to running OOM.

Well guess what? With Linux if you set up a ZRAM block device, give it roughly the same size as the amount of RAM you have, you can quite literally increase your memory workload threshold by 50% at least (in some cases higher depending on the compression algorithm).

On my 6 GB RAM Linux laptop, I can open 60 Chromium tabs and still have like 3-4 GB RAM left total thanks to ZRAM.

On my Linux laptop, I can have 60 Chromium tabs open and thanks to ZSTD-compressed ZRAM, still have enough RAM (3-4 GB total left) to open something else without the system disk thrashing.

Now let's see Winfags and iFags try to do the same thing. (Windows 10+ has memory compression but you can't tune it lol)

Attached: file.png (800x450, 475.86K)

this only matters if you're earth-shatteringly poor.
you can get a laptop with a 6th gen i5 for less than 200 quid.
old optiplexes for even less.

Stop being delusional.
On linux when you run out of ram the thing goes reeee and you have to restart and lose everything.
On windows this never happens.

Have sex, please.

>ignores the feature described both in title and thread

Attached: file.png (1699x1920, 904.65K)

I like fedora. I am really happy they don't confuse them with Trilby hats

Fedora enables ZRAM ootb afaik so they're based in my books

>autist loonixfaggot drones on about something only shitboxes care about

lmao ok

Did you know a swap file is equivalent to a page file on windows.
Have you ever considered how funny it would be to go around the house and turn off page files and see what happens?
God damn I don't feel good, my head hurts.

don't care of your shitty solutions to modern bloated os
still using windows 7

Page files on Windows can't be compressed if you're not running Windows 10 above, and even then you can't tune the compression (set the block size, change the compression algorithm).

Keep coping and seething, Winfag

>shitty solution
>it's only like 2-5% extra CPU usage from kswapd to compress the memory pages
God this thread is going to be filled with copers.

mac os has ram compression since 2010
it also has dynamic swap unlike linux and windows

Then why can't you tune it? Tuning how the RAM is compressed has a big effect on performance.

If you use ZSTD for example, you increase CPU time but save more memory, if you use LZ4 you decrease CPU time but save less memory

Attached: file.png (692x187, 43.02K)

I don't think you can compress traditional swap files at least not on btrfs.
Oh God I really feel like crap, taking a nap did not help at all.

ZRAM stores swap files in RAM, not the storage device. You're confusing ZRAM with ZSwap.

it's a mac dummy it's already configured to work without tinkering

But tinkering is necessary to optimize system parameters to specific workloads.

You just ignored the fact that you can have different performance effects depending on the size of the compressed RAM and it's compression algorithm.

If you can't tune the compressed memory threshold that means you can't control the time when you run out of virtual memory resources.

Linux with ZRAM set to a low amount doesn't change much but with a high amount (same as your RAM) you can quite literally extend your virtual memory threshold exponentially.

It seems like existing memory compression schemes on both Windows and Mac aren't able to do that (can't control it).

>On my 6 GB RAM Linux laptop
stopped reading there. why are you poor?

Swap partitions are the most basic shit to create during installation and they avoid what you just described.

There are more people out there than you think who are forced to use machines with not a lot of RAM richtard.

ZRAM is infinitely better than swap partitions because swap pages are stored in the RAM, not the hard drive/SSD, and because RAM's I/O throughput is multitudes higher than a HDD, it's obviously a looooot faster.

Swap on SSDs just reduces it's lifespan even if SSD's I/O throughput is closer to RAM's.