I received a pentium 4 computer from 2005 with 512MB RAM and Windows XP. I can't believe how fast it is! what happened...

I received a pentium 4 computer from 2005 with 512MB RAM and Windows XP. I can't believe how fast it is! what happened? Why is modern shit soo slow even on new hardware!?

Attached: 2Q==(49).jpg (800x500, 84.61K)

Looks like everything forgot to load up. Please try rebooting. Thanks sir.

I have a 16GB RAM Dell XPS 13 with 1Tb and an I7 4.7Ghz processor and my 50Gb installation of Visual Studio still lags from time to time. It's as if it was designed to be unusable.

Connect it to the internet. That will show you why pretty damn quick.

I ran a PIII 650E machine till 2008.

I had to dump it because it no more played some Divx smoothly. And as far as I remember it kept crashing with lots of images (i.e Any Forums page with +300 replies and +100 images)

>no beautiful ads on start menu
No, thanks.

>It's as if it was designed to be unusable
BINGO

>what happened
lazy developers, shit software

Pentium 4 is garbage architecture, you have clearly never used a core 2 duo computer from 2005 or you would not be saying that. Install debian on it and suffer.

I've still got a laptop from 2003 that runs pretty smoothly with the latest Debian release. Granted, my options are limited, and Firefox is pretty much unusably slow, but everything else functions great. Started it on XFCE and move to GNOME, and it's still working just fine.

For some reason, fresh Debian 11 hangs on tgat machine after some time. Windows doesn't have this problem.

Xfce uses less resources than Gnome 2/3.

It does indeed, but it didn't really make that much of a difference in my experience. XFCE idles at ~300MB, GNOME idles at ~500MB, and it doesn't swap either way. CPU usage is a tick higher but it's not enough to matter.

200MB matters when you have 1024MB in total.

I was actually able to max this one out at 2 GB. And I was lucky enough to have ATI graphics. So my bottleneck in this case is my shit CPU.

They have user swappable CPUs.
Get the fastest 64bit cpu for pennies.
I replaced a 32bit one for 64 bit recently when it wasn't clear if Debian 11 will support 32 bit.

Btw, in AMD motherboards you can use 4GB DDR2 dies! I have a couple of them and 2x4GB works.

I don't think this thing will take a 64 bit CPU. For context, this is a Dell Inspiron 8600.

I have 7 of them left. Additional 3 were lost in a flood.

Simple, it's not pozzed with a shit load of programs, drivers, and other crap all trying to boot up at the same time.

>50Gb installation of Visual Studio still lags from time to time.
Holy mother of bloat.

Attached: 1644684154187.jpg (478x1024, 59.04K)