/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1630935794623.jpg (1013x1123, 1.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

st.suckless.org/patches/alpha/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How come /fglt/ always has such great OP images, while /fwt/ often has degenerate paedophillic cartoon OP images?

Because the /fwt/ is literally full of pedophiles

Reposting: I'm trying to get berry to let me have see through terminals, is there a way to easily do this, or will I have to DYI it? I use compton by the way, but that shouldn't really matter.

Attached: screenshot.png (1920x1080, 291.34K)

Does your st build support transparency? If not, you need to recompile it with this patch: st.suckless.org/patches/alpha/

Which is better and why?

Attached: daw43.jpg (1280x720, 68.12K)

It does, the problem is that berry creates an actual window behind st's window to serve as window decoration. The transparency technically works fine, however there's a window behind my window, so yeah. Looking at dwm's source it seems that it doesn't actually create any windows and just uses X draw calls. I wanted to learn X11 anyways, I guess.

Only p3dos use Windows.

Is 200GB more than enough for a Mint partition or is it overkill? I have no idea if it bloats over time like Windows

You could probably get away with less than half of that, but it depends on the software you use.
Can you use a compositor? It might be easy with picom's opacity rules.

Is MATE plagued by CSD too?

>qlop
How would one go about using it in my case ?

Better for what? OpenSUSE is better for work-related stuff and Arch is better for gayming and daily usage as it has compile time optimizations and fast/easy access to some neat features (be it officially or through the AUR, which will save you time compared to headhunting packages on RPM or compiling them from source).

Any monerobros here?
How can I run a pruned lmdb node? When I try monerod --sync-pruned-blocks --data-dir . it just creates another lmdb directory instead of using the lmdb-pruned one, and if I rename the pruned one to just lmdb it errors out.
What do?

Xorg is using half my vram and im not able to launcher higher quality videos or launch gaymes
With just a browser window open its using half

Use the path to your lmdb-pruned dir instead of "." as the last argument. In unix shells (and powershell lmao) "." means the current directory, and ".." is the parent of the current directory.

Attached: 1643342471073.png (1500x2200, 401.59K)

That's the thing, I'm using "." because I'm in the right directory already (the one with the lmdb).

Thanks for responding. After so much time synching I'm anxious to get this working.

Penis

is there a qt equivalent to fluxbox?

Try excluding the data-dir option entirely if it's in the standard place. If it doesn't work after that I'd ask in the #monero IRC channel on LiberaChat for faster iteration speed than support-via-Any Forums.

Fluxbox works fine with Qt applications you goober. It stands alone with no toolkit dependency. If you meant a Wayland equivalent, unfortunately there isn't one yet.

When I do that, it starts another lmdb in my ~.
> If it doesn't work after that I'd ask in the #monero IRC channel on LiberaChat for faster iteration speed than support-via-Any Forums.
Seems its time for me to finally interact with people outside of this website, and also to learn how to access this chat.

Thanks for the help, monerobro.