Graphics programming general

why is it so difficult to draw a few triangles on the screen? Took me like 2 days, shit was so cash. Why can't you make a game in OpenGL, its easy bro, just make a game from scratch bro
> inb4 gameenginecels

Attached: 2engine.png (1056x779, 883.1K)

Other urls found in this thread:

danluu.com/dunning-kruger/
trmm.net/Hidden_Wireframe/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because renderer is tiny part of what video game engine does

Why would I reinvent the wheel for the, god what is it now with games, over 3000th time? I'll just use an already made engine.

Is there an engine that ONLY does hardware-accelerated rendering and leaves everything else to the programmer?

OpenGL, no? Or probably you want some library to abstract model loading and the render loop behind a simple API. Probably a million of those out there.

>be Quake engine
>tweak it a little
>Call it Call of Duty
>???
>profit!

Sure.
Port that shit to android, MacOS, Linux, Windows and HTML5
Have you integrated Networking support?
How about a level editor?
How do you manage collaboration.
Can you pause parts of the game?
Do you have support for Controllers?
Skeleton animation?
What Physics engine do you use?
How do you manage Lighting?
Can i turn of functions on the fly if i have a bad computer?
How portable is the code? Can i use it for multiple projects?
What sound management do you use? Is it 3D sound?
How do you handle UX?
Can i script entities externally? Do you have a hook system?
Can i save my game?
How do you manage multiple different levels?
What programming languages do you support?
Can i preview scenes before compiling?
How well documented is your code? Can someone else use it without you being in the room explainging it?
Can i use external assets ive made in other programs or are they just native?
Can i do anything 2d in the game?

Sure you might dismiss these things. but they still are features of any basic game engine and a lot of people want them.
If you want to make a game from scratch without an engine then more power to you but your ambitions does not make engines useless.

Well, that's not an engine, and I already use OpenGL. And have my own rendering and resource loading. I'm just curious if there's an engine that does hardware acceleration but doesn't try to push their own concepts of how an engine works (and what a game is) on the users.

>Because renderer is tiny part of what video game engine does
You are absolutely correct, and the rest is stuff a game engine can only do poorly, therefore, there's very little reason to use an engine.

By this list, do you have a prof. background experience in game dev?

Who cares how it does it when you have 2002's supercomputer in shittiest phone now

What's this list of questions that may or may not apply to what you're making supposed to prove, that you're a massive dunning kruger who can't program for shit?

Its supposed to proof that a game engine is not just "Painting a few triangles on a screen"

"You use a pre made compiler when you can just make one yourself? Are you a retard that cant program?"

No. i have made a few game jam games, nothing more.
I see both sides of the argument. making your own game from scratch makes a lot of sense if you have particular needs/ambition just as well as using an engine makes sense if your needs are met by the engine.

>"You use a pre made compiler when you can just make one yourself? Are you a retard that cant program?"
This attitude right here is exactly what separates the laymen from the experts

danluu.com/dunning-kruger/

trmm.net/Hidden_Wireframe/ I'd like to make that work for a memory-constrained device like an ARM Cortex M4+. The goal would be sending the least vectors needed for a good display to something like a laser galvo scanner. You really want to just render visible edges to keep flicker to a minimum.

the amount of assblast and butthurt in this post is off the charts

when will Any Forums fags realize that doing shit that other products already do from scratch means nothing on modern hardware

obviously unemployed when you do not understand that your time is more valuable than your 1337 low level programming skillz

checked

I rename it to "script kiddie being a script kiddie thread general"

OpenGL is practically a high level API. If you want real pain try Vulkan.
I'm writing my own engine for use in a bunch of bizarre places and I'm not sure if it's worth the support. I know it's apparently easier to make drivers for but OpenGL is much more widely supported.