Filesystems were a mistake

Filesystems were a mistake.

Imagine having only a single datapoint by which to define a multitude of files.

Attached: TT_tree_mobile.jpg (520x320, 17.16K)

What FS should I use if I want to be a FS hipster?
btrfs
bcachefs
HAMMER2
f2fs

cephFS

file paths are just strings that we arbitrarily assign permissions to.
>Oh you're string starts with "/etc/"? You better have sudo privileges before posting there, user.
>Oh now your file path matches $HOME? Well go ahead and do whatever the fuck you want then!

Lmao

Attached: zoomzoom.jpg (694x464, 106.47K)

Imagine thinking you need more than a single datapoint for a collection of bytes identifiable by a fucking name and defined by an extension (including directories, which are just "files" that point to a collection of files).

A single string shouldn't be the only way we can categorize files.
What if I want to assign priveleges depending on the actual properties / characteristics of a file, rather than their location or name?

Buckets being bad doesn't mean filesystems aren't bad.

There should not be filesystems, only searchable file tags that can be filtered.

Sorry faggot, sometimes I want to search images by different cross characteristics, like the predominant color on an image, contents of the file, genre / artist of music, or even whatever abstract and ephemeral qualities I want to assign to any particular file.

>What if I want to assign priveleges depending on the actual properties / characteristics of a file, rather than their location or name?
rather than location or name... can you do that in unix-likes? what's an example of how to do that?

Unironically boorus and other hentai websites.
I can find any specific type of image or fetish I want by cleverly combining tag queries.

Or search engines in general I guess but that's boring.

I see, I guess that's a type of file storage, I assumed the post was talking at the OS level.

>sometimes I want to search images by different cross characteristics, like the predominant color on an image, contents of the file, genre / artist of music, or even whatever abstract and ephemeral qualities I want to assign to any particular file
Tagging images and meta info in music files exist, kid. Jesus fuck, it's like kids say bullshit without having any actual knowledge of what they're talking about. Your generation is lost.

reiserfs

Attached: a794d24f-4c1e-4c93-9ab6-1c0e38ac17cb.jpg (1498x3791, 700.44K)

>Tagging images and meta info in music files exist
In Windows yes, in Linux no not natively. In Linux the metadata is either stored in the file itself and needs to be known to be ignored by the filetype's codec, or you'd have a music manager that stores the metadata apart from the file itself.

Ok, show me an OS that lets me search by such tags by default. Show me an OS that lets me search images by their predominant color.
It was just an example anyway.

It's beside the point, even. Filesystems are inferior to metadata, but have their own drawbacks with no advantages.
In fact, filesystems are the reason we don't have isolation between programs, so programs are free to shit up, or read any directory they want.
All apps should be sandboxed by default, and no such thing as a filesystem should exist, and programs should be free to choose the data structure by which they store files themselves.

Waht do you propose then?
Lmao do you gags sit and here

>so programs are free to shit up, or read any directory they want
Not really. Isn't that the point of permissions on a file system?
Unless you have to use windows

I agree, but don't use the Lord's name in vain, please

>in the file itself
>searchable by any manager
So is that not enough? Do you really need your fucking OS and filesystem to do exactly the same thing searching through existing metadata with a separate program already does?
What you want is fucking bloat. Fuck that. Filesystems are simple because they're fast and easy to work with and anything you want to do on top of that, you use a fucking specialized tool. Learn basic fucking OS design, kids.

The filesystem is logical not literal. Every file l is actually directly linked to an inode which can have multiple hard links to it.

>linear structures
Fag boomer shit.
Everything should be an arbitrary traversible graph.

>Everything should be an arbitrary traversible graph.
What if there's cycles?