Be me

>be me
>try torrenting vidya and movies
>do the usual shit, turn on vpn, set up port forwarding, etc.
>internet always slows to a crawl on every device, looking something up can take a minute
>if I keep torrenting the internet just shuts off
>set up bandwidth limits, set active torrent limits, tried different VPNs
>internet gets throttled every single time
How do they keep doing this bros

Attached: rliagrl0fzax (1).jpg (1533x961, 174.36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Mitigations_and_Solutions_for_Home_Gateways/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its called buffer bloat.

basically, get a new router that you can find reviews of it not having buffer bloat.

If it still occurs, the buffer bloat is happening at the ISP level.

source is that im NOC at an ISP and i read through this:
bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Mitigations_and_Solutions_for_Home_Gateways/

Just don't live in US.

Turn off VPN and disable limits lol

Are you sure? Any other time I try to download anything I can get around 20Mbps without a problem, it's just when torrenting

Pretty sure, its still pretty common. Check if your current router pulls up info about buffer bloat.

You could try torrenting something like an ubuntu ISO (which is legal) to see if it happens while on the VPN

Alternative issues:
- you have a broadcast storm when p2p traffic gets too high somehow

- ISP throttling based on size and rate of packets rather than connections -- this would allow them to throttle torrenting even with a VPN

Tests, if you wanna be methodical:
0. unplug everything but your testing computer directly to the modem/router
1. download something that isn't a torrent over the vpn, maxing out your bandwidth
- capture packets
- make a graph of the speeds
2. download something that isn't a torrent without the vpn, maxing out your bandwidth
- capture packets
3. create and run a program designed to look like torrenting over the vpn, maxing out your speeds
- capture packets
4. create and run a program designed to look like torrenting without the vpn, maxing out your speeds
- capture packets
5. download a torrent on the vpn, maxing out your speeds
- capture packets
6. download a torrent without the vpn, maxing out your speeds
- capture packets

Graphs that show usage being rate limited with QoS are typically very spikey. Graphs that show usage limited by hardware (eg max speed an ethernet port will go) will be smoother. Graphs that show bufferbloat have a particular look to them as well but i can't remember at the moment.

Probably correct yeah. You can try turning down the max connections in the torrent client to test it, turn it to something really low like 5. If the problem goes away when a torrent is running at a good speed with few connections then it's likely your router taking a shit. I'm more skeptical of upstream ISP issues short of them deliberately throttling you, but the VPN sorta disproves that.
Building your own router with PFSense and an old optiplex or similar is a pretty cheap way to go and runs like a champ. Plus you can add network-wide ad blocking with a single plugin.

Try changing VPN protocols, IIRC IKE2 worked for me.

delete VPN
delete torrent client

>VPN to torrent
Do first worlders really?

>live in US
>constantly seeding, leeching here and there
>shamelessly doing so with no VPN or anything, just torrent client rawdogging my connection
>never hear a word from my ISP
Feels good

What provider?

Spectrum. Basically the only good thing I can say about them; I've been paying $115, then $125, then $135/mo for 940/38Mbps

Time to leave them and see if they cut your price. $135 for gigabit down only seems fucking robber-baron tier.

I've tried, it worked when they were TWC but this new company couldn't give less of a shit; they'll simply wish you bon voyage as you switch to CenturyLink's ADSL, the area's only competitor.

Just get a new router

That doesn't change my Internet cost

>I've been paying $115, then $125, then $135/mo for 940/38Mbps

Lmao do Americans really?

Attached: 1644564202803.png (1066x1465, 143.29K)

Depends on the region; there are blotches of local monopolies all over the country. They can gouge you for whatever they want when your alternative is Internet over a telephone line.

still shilling the VPN meme in 2022

Broadcast storm? And you claim you work at a oc?