C'mon man

Fresh Arch install

Install KDE Plasma

Enable sddm

Reboot

Greeted with this mess

This also happened when I tried with XFCE

How did I fuck up?

Attached: Screenshot_20220211-003612_Gallery.jpg (1280x720, 353.27K)

Should have installed Gentoo

Should have installed Tumbleweed

Let me guess: NVIDIA?

Yes

Sorry, shouldn't have bought hardware from a vendor hostile to Linux.

You have bigger problems then

yikes, big oof

Kuul

Try installing 'nvidia-dkms' instead of 'nvidia'. Fixed most of my nvidia related problems on arch

grep journalctl for errors and look up whatever went wrong. Learn your operating system retard.

things changed in the last 10 years, believe it or not.

Yeah, NVIDIA got worse. AMD wasn't an option in 2012.

at this point we need a sticky that says not to install linux on macbooks or nvidia boxes

AMD isn't really an option in the current year either. I don't suppose you'll provide some context as to how Nvidia on Linux got worse in the last decade?

>AMD isn't really an option in the current year either
Works on my machine.
>I don't suppose you'll provide some context as to how Nvidia on Linux got worse in the last decade
NVIDIA stopped caring about Linux outside of CUDA so the driver has only been getting more unstable and outdated with time. NVIDIA could run the Compiz cube just fine 10 years ago, but it can't run GNOME or KDE now without major stuttering and glitches. Not to mention how bad the OpenGL and Vulkan support has gotten, there are still many games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Far Cry 6 that only work on AMD.

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-02-11 02-06-50.png (737x517, 352.03K)

>it can't run GNOME or KDE now without major stuttering and glitches.
Yeah, let me just give "works on my machine" right back to you on that one.

I'm just going to but in and say that you're correct. the 510 driver for Nvidia fucking sucks and I'm having to go back to an older driver, JUST TO PLAY TEAM FUCKING FORTRESS. On Debian 11, which had v375 drivers, every game worked perfectly. I like Arch for the AUR, its up to date software, and hillarious community, but for Nvidia hardware its rough. I wish Debian 11 would allow me to install KDE Anniversary edtion without having to enable Testing or SID repos, but it is what it is. Nvidia is a fucking head ache for linuxbros.

It's possible, but AMD works better. It only gets worse when you have a high refresh display.
I recently compiled Mesa 22.0-rc1 and gained a few FPS across the board. Have noticed zero issues even though it's a release candidate. Feels good to be on the red team.

As a person who mindlessly went to the green team, I'm fucking jelly. I got my Nvidia card before the covid/crypto price gouging. Both company's cards now cost way more than I paid in 2019 for my gear. My card is now going for 1000 dollars and I paid $400 for it. I wish I could go back and get an AMD card for my linux machine. This 510 driver is shit.

I'm about to install nvidia-dkms to see if it fixes it, but if not, I'm sticking with Debian stable for Nvidia shit. Bleeding edge drivers are a double edge sword with Nvidia hardware.

Install Windows 10 and problem solved, fucking retard!

i had some issues with 510 as well and got on the 470 LTS branch, which is solid for me and will remain so by the time i get on the next LTS release in like 2 and a half years time. let the betas do the beta testing.

when did you buy your card?

install nvidia-470xx-dkms, the 510 is nowhere near ready for general use

shoulda installed Pop! Os

jk they all suck

Attached: 1637833547002.jpg (915x797, 175.64K)

To be fair, you might have dodged a bullet with Navi. Some of those cards seem to be broken in hardware or something (it wasn't the drivers fault because it happened regardless of OS).
>when did you buy your card?
Bought a 580 for $200 in 2018.

>Bought a 580 for $200 in 2018.
For the record, this is why I said AMD isn't really an option in the current year.

"distro based on distro based on distro" is not my thing. I'd rather support original developers than support people that make themes rely on the work of others. PopOS is trash, their developers are retarded (especially Murphy, dude claims he invented tiling for gnome when it existed long before he even knew TypeScript) and most of all, they don't even keep up with Debian's changes so the chance of Pop breaking something is really fucking high.