/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1628474659800.jpg (768x960, 106.5K)

Do I need plasma-browser-integration or some other package to get KDE's file dialog? I have xdg-desktop-portal-kde with GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 and XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE in my profile, but I still get an UnknownMethod error for org.freedesktop.portal.FileChooser.

Yes. There are two packages. You have one, but I cannot remember the name of the other. Is this firefox you tried it on?

Yeah, and chromium. I had things working with an entire plasma-desktop installation but I wanted to clean up a bit of the bloat.

Newbie here.
How to install Chrome or Chromium on Oracle ARM64 VPS? It's running Ubuntu aarch64.

real thread

Kill yourself, Apple shill.

The other thread would die if you guys just ignored it without all the autismposting.
Well, that did the trick. It's unfortunate how much it pulled in as deps but that's just how it goes with DEs.

>2 fglt
>2 fwt
fucking Fission is slacking

I think the board can bear two superfluous threads for a little while, especially considering how most frog threads should be in /sqt/.

Set widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal to true in about:config.
For the latest Firefox versions you should also change widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker from 2 to 1.

You know, a brief guide on fglt.nl wouldn't go amiss, especially considering how often people come here asking about the file picker.

Is there any reason to use ext4 over XFS?

Attached: 1644524811268.png (1246x4042, 396.3K)

I'm running ubuntu, started with xubuntu now running cinnamon if it matters. how do I troubleshoot applications not running on startup? there's one that never opens in the list while the others and some I've added temporarily just to test work fine. the command works when I run it from terminal too

Is there a way to automatically load a xrandr configuration when my laptop is docked and another one if it isn't? Can I do this with xinit or is there a better way?

How come my laptop doesn't seem to save battery when I close it with linux installed? Happens with Ubuntu as well as Fedora. KDE. I shut it and can see the screen turn off as I shut it yet the battery drain persists.

Yes, ext4 has always had metadata checksums so a power failure or system crash doesn't destroy **all** your data. Nowadays XFS has metadata checksums bolted on, but see next point.
Ext4 is easier to repair after hardware failure, such as a scratched HDD platter (an fsck will do), whereas XFS is essentially unfixable.
Ext4 also supports per-directory encryption with fscrypt.
You can shrink an Ext4 filesystem, XFS does not support shrinking.

Some component is not going to sleep. What laptop model? Try looking it up because these issues are model specific.

What is your goal? I've used a dock with 2 and 3 screens but never had to touch xrandr.

Have you guys/trannies found any good htop replacements?

Glances, bashtop, vtop and gtop are all cool alternatives.
If you want something that isn't terminal based then you'd probably want gnome or kde's system monitors.

I'm using Debian with Window Maker and everytime I use a multi monitor setup, the layout is fucked up until I manually run my xrandr configuration and restart Window Maker.
It's extremely annoying and I would like to automatically run the correct config file when a monitor is connected and the other config file if it isn't. I thought this could be possible via xinit but I don't know how to do it.

gnome system monitor