What do you guys think about crypto mining on websites using webassembly for example as an alternative to serving ads...

what do you guys think about crypto mining on websites using webassembly for example as an alternative to serving ads? I think it's a pretty good idea makes both sides happy. pls give opinions

Attached: proxy-image.png (1200x1200, 33.69K)

Not feasible. Wait for WebGPU to go stable, we'll have compute shaders in the browser.

>Not feasible.
why? WebGPU does look pretty cool tho.

it makes me happy because there's an about:config option to disable wasm. The thing I object to is not just ads, I object to being monetized, however it is you use your webpage to do that.

>why?
CPU mining is slow

doesnt this exist already? not with wa but

you would rather pay to access content? you need to keep the servers running somehow
I know crypto talk is not allowed here but monero is supposed to be mineable on CPUs.
>but
but??

what about XMR mining?

>>you would rather pay to access content? you need to keep the servers running somehow
I would rather the """content creators""" go out of business.

lol wut. this is so dumb

based retard

Honestly a lot of people get really mad at this but I wouldn't mind. The #1 thing I object to is having my data exfiltrated and used. If switching to a mining-based economy lets everyone run stateless mining scripts and websites can monetise without my browsing habits being know to anyone except my ISP and the website I'm directly connecting to, then I'm down. (Obviously with common sense exercised, i.e. use a low enough CPU percentage that it doesn't start stalling my PC or kick the fans into max speed, some mechanism to ensure it's low priority so if I'm browsing while some heavy job is running in the background then the website again doesn't stall my PC because it's capped at 20% but I am already at 95% utilization so everything freezes, etc.)

The main issue I see is the economics. Is it really viable? Ads pay like on the order of $1/1000 visits, very very roughly. Targeted ads can pay several times more. Can 1000 visits to your site make you even $1 in cryptocurrency? How long does the average visit last, what's the average CPU power of your visitors? Does this scale to mobile phones - which make up the majority of internet traffic nowadays?
And perhaps importantly: mining rewards tend to depend on the supply of mining. The more people mine, the smaller the reward per miner (assuming the crypto's price remains constant). The reward generally remains constant on the vast majority of chains, and is distributed amongs all miners (on average). Even if it's profitable now, if suddenly everyone switches to in-browser mining, will it remain profitable?

>what do you guys think about malware on websites using webassembly for example as an alternative to serving ads?
Should count as computer fraud and warrant a prison sentence.

I'm 100% serious. It shouldn't be possible to make money from someone visiting a web page. The internet and the world would be a better place. People producing content to make a buck make lowest-common-denominator trash. The people producing content because they just innately have something they want to say to the world will keep making it regardless; a VPS and a domain name are cheap even by hobby-project standards, and that'll be all those people need, since the only reason you care about massive scale and endless growth of your userbase is if you're making money in proportion to the number of people you can shill things to with ads.

Also, without ad companies trying to turn the internet into television, you'll get rid of the normalfags. The garbage they spend their time on won't be viable if you can't monetize them, so most of it will go away.

damn I didn't think about all of that. but to make it profitable I think you should reward people for staying on your site as long as you can. maybe some percentage of the already small mining profits, dunno. I have an idea for a pretty cool website so I'll try implementing something there.
yeah I agree but it's not like it's possible to make those changes and the rich niggas wouldn't want that to happen

Completely agree but of course this'll never happen
I would never be okay with someone using MY property to make money. Like ads are one thing (obviously I block them) but literally mining off of my hardware, making my temp increase, taking up resources constantly as opposed to only when the page is loading - that's what I don't find acceptable

Yes, it is possible, and you are not the first one to do it.
Few years ago, one Brazilian channer was mining crypto in a website where he wrote huge ass rape fiction and rape tutorials, and spread over reddit.
His posts where so popular that /r/incel was banned because of it.

Eventually his website got shutdown and he was arrested (in part for the rape tutorials, but mostly for piss off everyone).

Attached: 20181220185605752202o.jpg (700x450, 86.5K)

based.... this is the WASM future we all wanted and needed. Accelerate.

do you know if he got in any legal trouble for the mining or just the rape tutorials and pissing people off?

dangerously based
>but muh jobless faggot needs to make money!

>to make it profitable I think you should reward people for staying on your site as long as you can
"Incentives" are never the right solution. It's like click-bait: it's a strategy to get users to load as many pages as possible (which increases profits with ads), but it's objectively terrible for actual usability and quality of content. "Honest" websites pride themselves on not using clickbait, and attracting users purely through actually good content.

If your solution requires artificial incentives, then it's bad. I don't go to websites to participate in an incentive scheme for profit. I go to websites to obtain some information or fulfill some task. If the website's purpose isn't to provide me with this information, that makes it a bad website.

yeah :/

Sounds like it would be very bad for tab saving chads like me

xd, onetab on firefox helps with tab hoarding.

Bad idea, it's basically malware.

I'm fairly certain most browsers have an option to disable processing for background tabs.

It happens automatically. in chromium and firefox, background tabs:
>have video decoding suspended
>timers throttles
>gfx caches cleared
>aggressive GCs

Yeah but I mean like outright disable script running. Optimisations are nice but if a tab is literally running a cryptominer javascript, it may not fall under any specific "optimisations"; you want to just suspend scripts entirely.
I'm still pretty sure that's either possible, or if not, hypothetically could be entirely implementable and would solve the problem.

He used the rape tutorials as click bait for normies. No one gives a flying fuck if you mine crypto in their browsers. What is the crime? use computational resources without the consent of the computer owner?