/VEP/ - Video Editing & Production

Well, some user told me to make my own general with blackjack & hookers, since the topic/thread didn't exist.

So I did.

VEP is (hopefully) all about sharing, teaching, critiquing, and assisting anons in video editing. Anything from Movie Maker (lmao) to Adobe to VEGAS and beyond.

Me personally? I'm still learning and self teaching. I use VEGAS 19 and have VEGAS 15 and 14.
And at the present moment, I'm trying to find if and/or where I can acquire new transition effects for my editing purposes.

Attached: VEP thumbnail.png (1870x292, 62.76K)

you'll be better off on a slow board

Fair enough. Made the thread cause like 2 anons in another general suggested I should when I mentioned my displeasure at the lack of an editing general.
I'll give that thread a go n see (i thought about checking photography but assumed nothing video related would be in a board dedicated to pictures. My mistake in that regard I suppose)

Is this the youtuber video game analysis general?

I edit all my videos in Blender.

I tried to learn Blender editing back in the late 00s or early 10s. I really tried.
I just couldn't be fucked.
You have my respect.

I also tried lightworks and a handful of other ones. Lightworks I feel like I remember it being an absolute headache.

What are the honest differences between "Defocus" and "Gaussian Blur", if any? I assume that separation of blur types is not unique to VEGAS.
Is it how it applies or processes the blur?

>You have my respect
Nah it's just that I only need the most basic features.
If I needed anything fancy I would use Premiere (which is what I used in the past).

>Nah it's just that I only need the most basic features.
That's fair.

I used to want to learn premiere and the whole adobe suite, but I despise subscriptions as an exclusive ownership model. Its fine for trial runs or for students at discount prices, but not being able to fork over X fat stack for a permanent version irks me.

I appreciate that VEGAS allows either subscription OR lump sum.

I also learned today that VEGAS apparently now has an 'Effects' part of their suite. Dunno how it compares to AE, but if it stays updated and maintained, I won't complain.

More competition to Adobe suite products is always a good thing.

Why not pirate them?

Isn't defocus only going to blur certain parts of the image? At least that's how it kind of works in paint.net

I was under the understanding that adobe suite is not really pirate-able after the change to pure sub based; Adobe suite went all in on The Cloud™ + only being sub based.

Most versions of PS I feel I see are CS6 which was last pre-sub model i believe.

Experimenting, these are options. Far as I can tell, gaussian is only how much its smeared vertically or horizontally...? its VERY VERY sensitive. I was using .01 and .001's to make the footage semi legible but blurred.

Defocus is allegedly in an iris shape and adjustable, but its also incredibly sensitive, and changes from orientation are non-existent. Curvature, by time i noticed effects, the blur (radius) was already substantial....

I'm not sure if im doing something wrong or not, but blur seems INCREDIBLY sensitive n hard to fine tune.

Attached: blur.png (800x341, 23.85K)

All my Adobe programs are pirated CC versions

What's the VEP monthly project going to be?

YTPs

I dunno. I've always been a Any Forums and Any Forums rat more than anything. I've only recently started exploring into Any Forums and /tg/.

Didn't know monthly projects were a thing.

Meme-y shitpost vid perhaps with excessive editing? Or would that be stealing b/v thunder too much?

Neat. Dunno if I can/will look into that for a few reasons, but good to know.

I bought VEGAS 14 when Humble Bundle was selling keys for a fucking steal. Still don't quite know how to use it.

I could never get 14 to work for me after I grabbed it in same bundle.14 was, at least for me, basically unusable because it could not handle variable framerate footage.
Which is the only kind of video footage Shadowplay makes.

The weirdest part is while it eventually caused all my shadowplay footage to crash on load, at first it was fine! Which sucks because I had a really good Siege meme video 2/3 done when it suddenly started crashing and refused to stop crashing.

15 never had that issue, but instead my subtitles kept shifting around from their specified locations, and I couldn't seem to nail down a cause why, causing me to give up on another vod.

19 so far has been much better for me. Knock on wood if that remains.

I likely could've at least done videos on 15 but I'm a stubborn cunt who wants his videos subtitled in-vod.

Any places to get 19 easily, or do you think I should bother learning 14?

Beyond torrenting? Not sure. If 2022 is anything like 2021 n past years were, Vegas Pro 17 will likely drop onto a Humble sale this april-ish for $20-40, same as 16 did in 2021 n 15 did in 2020 or 2019 n 14 did the year before that.
It also has (relatively) reasonable pricing per month or annual if sub models are acceptable to you to use as a trial system over forking over $200-400+.

I remember reading awhile back there was a tendency for VEGAS to be like star wars; the good releases were odd #'s, the evens were shite. If that's held true, 17 may be the one to buy in on (so to speak) if you cant/wont buy 19.

I forgot to mention, there is also Da Vinci Resolve. I'm told its reasonably versatile for freeninetynine pricetag, on the swearing of a friend. He taught his girl to basic bitch edit in like 8 hours for some personal footage n highlight comps via Da Vinci if I recall right.