I want to leave Windows...

I want to leave Windows. Tired of automatic and mandatory updates that restart my computer in the middle of the night while I'm uploading torrents. Where should I go? I want something very entry level and hopefully having similar UI to Windows. Also, running Photoshop and Premiere is important. I'd also like the switch to not wipe all my files. Thanks

Attached: 1643500679563.jpg (720x720, 62.84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zorinos.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do other OS run .exe?

>Tired of automatic and mandatory updates that restart my computer in the middle of the night while I'm uploading torrents
I didn't have that happen to me ONCE since I installed Windows 10 and did the usual post-install update you'd do on any OS. Also I ran some debloater thing but it sure as fuck didn't disable updating.
It's perplexing to me because everyone else keeps whining about that but to me this minimal effort W10 install feels like 7 or even XP.

mint is the best baby's first distro. don't be ashamed to use it until you understand linux well enough to distrohop.

Install gentoo

imagine if you had win10 on your work PC
and it decided to BSOD loop after an update or update for 4 hours.
while you are stuffed with urgent tasks.

You would literally get fired..because of windows 10

>Where should I go?
Unironically zorinos.com
Download the free version.

>having similar UI to Windows
>running Photoshop and Premiere is important
good luck
photoshop and premiere are a pain to run on linux and macos is not going to look like windows

Is it possible to have two OS's on your boot drive? Like what if I want to try Mint but I'm not ready to completely ditch Windows yet.

This is what I'm talking about. How do linuxfags even cope? I don't get how you're supposed to work in any serious capacity if you can't even run basic ass programs like Adobe. I guess it's more of an arts thing, but even if you don't do it as a job most of those programs are nice to have. DAWs too.

Attached: displeased.jpg (435x435, 97.3K)

>Tired of automatic and mandatory updates
Can be rid of.
>Where should I go?
You're already alluding to Linux. Why even ask this? Speaking of, you don't give any specs/hardware, so we can't warn you about driver problems. You give so little information. A BSD could even work for you but we don't know what you're even running.
>I want something very entry level and hopefully having similar UI to Windows.
A multitude of things do/can do this.
> Also, running Photoshop and Premiere is important.
Given your first requirement, this is not possible without a VM.
>I'd also like the switch to not wipe all my files.
If you know how to partition, this will not happen.

Go to study.

>"is dual/multi booting a thing"
Any Forums 2022

no, i know dual booting is a thing, but on the same harddrive? ive never done it. how do you even select which OS to boot to?

>but on the same harddrive
Yes.
> how do you even select which OS to boot to?
See your manufacturer's boot selection key. Usually F2, F11, or F12.

Alternatively, GNU GRUB can be made to detect the other OSes on your machine, and you could put whatever other OS you want to install as top priority. This will effectively give you your manufacturer's boot menu.

>See your manufacturer's boot selection key
Oh, that seems simple enough. I was just fucking around in the BIOS menu when I had to get Tails OS to work and that was a bit of a pain in the ass.

Hopefully it would look something like pic related but these things never work the way they're supposed to for me.

Attached: dualboot.png (623x480, 81.48K)

same way macfags do, just more so since companies don't try to support linux like they do with macos
alternative programs exist and they can work depending on what you actually need to do
more stuff is being done through web browsers as well, making the os less relevant

switching from windows to linux is like switching from windows to macos
your workflow will need to change because the programs you use won't be available on that new platform

Buy another storage device - HDD, SSD, NVME, whatever - put that in there and install Mint on it. Set your BIOS to boot into Mint by default since it'll put you in the GRUB bootloader where you can pick whether you actually want to boot into Mint or Windows instead, rather than having to boot into the BIOS every time.

>switching from windows to linux is like switching from windows to macos
how can you even say that with a straight face? you still get photoshop, premiere, and a multitude of top level DAWs that are even better than the ones on Windows.

Yes, it should look like that. (conceptually)

I believe for Dell, its F2. For Acer, its F12. For MSI, its F11, Asus is F8.

And, it will vary from model to model. So search for your computer model's boot selection key and see my previous post: If your choice is a Linux or *BSD, I'd also recommend learning about ALSA and the TTY. I'd also avoid FreeBSD. A lot of the learning is done within the process. "Trusting the plan" if you will.

W10 updates are basically a computer literacy test.

If you're too dumb, stupid, or technology illiterate to do a 30 second google for a simple tool to block the updates until you want to do them, you are exactly the type of retard who can't be trusted to take care of a computer, and MS is doing you a massive favor by taking over your PC and forcing you to install security updates that you would otherwise click "no" to for months or years while installing 200 malware greeting card toolbar trojans on your PC while blaming "M$" for having "bad security."

Fuck off you literal nigger.

Attached: 1640571175358.jpg (600x600, 76.12K)

Xubuntu

NT is superior, too bad user space is a demonic shit hole.