Will they ever make an operating system?

Will they ever make an operating system?

Attached: amazon.jpg (466x311, 25.84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_OS
aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who?

I believe Amazon already has its own distro based on RHEL or Fedora.

Ubuntu-Amazon

I believe you're right. But with their dominance in cloud computing + commerce + streaming, I'm wondering when they'll make a Chromebook competitor

They already have one, sort of

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_OS

It's strange to me that a company as big as them has made nothing but garbage hardware and software. Remember the Fire Phone with the weird 3D screen?

Yeah that thing was weird.

But they have done well with some consumer products, mainly the Kindle, and also Fire tablets have sold alright, and I think Echo speakers have probably sold reasonable amounts? And nowadays they have all the Amazon Basics products too don't they.

But anyway they're mainly a retailer aren't they. They're nowhere near as much of a hardware company as Apple or as much of a software company as Microsoft or Google.

Yeah, I guess they're just not interested in desktops. Seems like they think personal computers will be phased out soon. Kinda dark if you think about it, since all of the biggest corporations are endorsing mobile devices and streaming everything, that's just the way it's guaranteed to go I guess.
That said, I was imagining them doing things similar to Chromebooks in that they partner with OEMs and just put their OS on it. But I guess I'm not sure what incentive they have to make an OS really

Theres little point in trying to compete against Windows and Mac. Much easier to make a product to work in conjunction with them. They already won with AWS.

>Seems like they think personal computers will be phased out soon
Not necessarily, maybe they just don't think they could easily make money in that space

I think desktops and laptops will still exist for a very long time, especially for getting work done. But there's already Windows, MacOS, and Chrome OS. And yes sometimes Linux like Ubuntu for developers, but the first three are the most popular among consumers / regular people.

For Amazon to make a desktop OS would require a lot of investment and they'd be entering an already crowded space. I don't think it would be easy to make money so that's probably why they're not doing it.

Fair. Then I guess that's it. There's just no viable way for anyone to compete with what's already established. I guess it's just strange knowing that what we have now, the ecosystems I guess - are the end of it. We can only "look forward" to their updates/new releases, but there's no hype of new competitors or groundbreakers anymore

Fire OS

Why bother? With AWS, they have something far more powerful than an OS.

Amazon at its core is more of a merchant business than a software or hardware business

why can't you keep your re*dit spacing on that site? better yet, just go back and never log in here again

No, but they might make a Linux distro.

Why would they make an operating system? What user demographic would they be targeting? Why are any new operating systems necessary in 2022?

Says the nigger double spacing for readability.

They actually lose a little bit of money on their online store stuff. It's AWS that's been subsidizing everything.

They have already aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-2/

>There's just no viable way for anyone to compete with what's already established
There probably is but it would take a lot of resources and willpower, and also, what could a new competitor offer that isn't already offered?

Chrome OS is the most recent example of a company entering the desktop OS space, really. Or at least, a company with a comparable size to Amazon. And even then, Chrome OS is quite a limited project. But then Google is developing Fuchsia too, so maybe that will go somewhere.

>I guess it's just strange knowing that what we have now, the ecosystems I guess - are the end of it.
I don't think that's necessarily true because Chrome OS came into this space. So things can always happen. But the question is, what more can a desktop OS offer? How would a new desktop OS differentiate itself from Windows, MacOS, and Chrome OS? Chrome OS differentiates itself by being simple, stripped back, and just focusing on the bare essentials of desktop computing. What unique features could Amazon offer in a new desktop OS? Amazon integration? Would that be compelling to users? Probably not.

Fire tablets, with FireOS, are compelling because they're cheap. So Amazon could try that strategy with laptops, but Google are already doing that with Chromebooks. So I don't know how they would differentiate themselves from Chromebooks. Go even cheaper I guess? If that's even possible, which it might not be.

Why are you posting when you're painfully new to this website? I guess you leave and never post here again.

Attached: 4chan spacing.jpg (1024x761, 155.82K)