Unnecessary cores

>gaming laptop
>14 cores
What is the purpose, is there a legitimate use case for 14 cores on a gaming laptop? Default clocks are well under the lower end "only 8 core" CPU, which would probably perform much better for gaming.

If you're not running a multi-vm/container server on your laptop, is there any legitimate use for 14 cores?

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 15.23.05.png (1696x837, 1.23M)

oh, and the 14 core cpu has the same size cache as the 8 core cpu, so even if you use 14 cores it'll probably choke

1.8ghz is the idle clock, retard. it boosts to 5ghz under load

Battery life, retard. Alder Lake should be crazy for that. Though currently mobile Alder is a little puzzling, almost every SKU lost some of its big Tigerlake cores.

You need those cores to play geekbench online

Attached: sdsde.png (1270x810, 283.32K)

moron

more cores improves battery life? please explain.

I have a feeling Razer laptops got much more expensive this year.

another peeve - look at all that wasted space at the bottom of the display panel. Looks like almost another inch of vertical space could be added to the display

>4500 USD laptop
>"IPS-grade" display
Fucking lol

>If you're not running a multi-vm/container server on your laptop, is there any legitimate use for 14 cores?
Mobile physics workstation.

Why is that necessary? Thin client ftw

forgive the dumb question - is DCI-P3 better than IPS?

dci is a color gamut and ips is a display type....

How many of those are E-cores? It's there to keep Windows 11 and its ridiculous amount of bloat happy.

14 cores, 6 of them are real cores that will actually be useful for gaming, 8 of them are like useless dingle berry hanging from your anus. useless "efficiency" cores.

8 efficiency cores

tell me about the efficiency cores, why are they single threaded?

Actually it seems to perform worse than Tiger lake at idle and almost-idle, the humongous ringbus seems to blame or something (uncore power is abnormally high).
There are 2 mobile dies, one with 6+8 cores, and one with 2+8, al with 96 graphics units. The desktop ones have 8+8 and 6+0, all with 32 graphics units. I wish we could get the 8+8 in mobile too, since other sacrifices were made (only 8 PCIe lanes for dGPU like AMD). Compared to Tiger it also lost AVX512. And the mobile 6+8 die is larger than the desktop 8+8, thanks to the worthless iGPU which is still slower than Renoir.
Finally Intel has locked undervolting in all non-K SKUs (so, in mobile, all but the top end one). So in many cases it does end up worse than Tiger Lake. But since all anybody does nowadays with laptops is run multithreaded benchmarks, all of these product decisions make perfect sense.

Im mad i didnt get a laptop with a 3080 in it around black friday under 2k, most of them are almost 3k now

game benchmarks show the 6+8 on average is about 10% faster than the 8 full core offering. seems quite underwhelming

>tell me about the efficiency cores, why are they single threaded?
Intelaviv want to copy applel meme m1

>25% more threads
>10% more performance
hrm

a mobile 3080ti is about as fast as a desktop 3070. so you won't be doing any 4k gaming in that.
I'd go for a 1440p screen. does razer sells 16:10 models?

no, and there's certainly space for it with that lower bezel. there is a 1440p 240Hz model