Connecting an rpi to a vga monitor

hey, i've been trying to connect my rpi 4 to a vga monitor, because i'm poor and can't get an hdmi monitor, but i did get my hands on an rpi and am doing a project on it. The rpi has an hdmi-mini output, i got all the adaptors and tried connecting it, but it just refuses to work. my connection set up is as follows: hdmi mini to hdmi, hdmi to hdmi (mother-mother connector), then hdmi to vga adaptor. All the cables have been tested separately and they all work. Together - jack shit. Is the resistance too high or something? How do i fix this, user

Attached: pepedocs.jpg (299x168, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/config_txt.html
bestbuy.com/site/insignia-hdmi-to-vga-adapter-black/1577417.p?skuId=1577417
hdmi.org/spec21sub/cablepower
thingiverse.com/thing:3723561
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Check /config/boot.txt and make sure your HDMI settings are correct, you may need to add some lines.
raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/config_txt.html

For my HDMI display I had to add values for hdmi_group, hdmi_mode, hdmi_drive, and hdmi_cvt.
Also make sure you're plugging into HDMI0 and not HDMI1

/boot/config.txt*, oops

Did all that, it just refuses to fucking work. God damn it.

What adapter you got? HDMI is digital, VGA is analog, if your adapter isn't basically a small computer that takes power and does the conversion, you got scammed.

I use this same adaptor to turn the hdmi output from my laptop when I connect it to the same vga monitor. So when I use this fucking adaptor to convert hdmi to vga from an rpi, I expect it to work. Been using the same adaptor for more than 6 years desu, works great. The adaptor looks like a 5x5x2cm box

>years desu
oh god no, fuck, how did I mistype the word "already" THAT hard. fuck me, i'm so tired

But does it take external power? HDMI doesn't carry power, and the conversion can't be done without power.

You have a point, it doesn't take any power. But how does it work then (the adaptor) when i connect my laptop hdmi output to my vga monitor

What are you talking about? If I search for HDMI to VGA adapters, there are plenty that don't take external power. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you

bestbuy.com/site/insignia-hdmi-to-vga-adapter-black/1577417.p?skuId=1577417

If you are THAT poor just use the composite outout and attach the Pi to the television.
simple as
On the 4, you'll need the adapter and add
enable_tvout=1

Attached: 1620557519003.png (2300x1640, 1.32M)

hijacking this bread to ask what the best 3d printable case for a rpi4 is

just get some old 19" monitor with dvi for $10

HDMI can carry power.
hdmi.org/spec21sub/cablepower
But I don't think Pi has that feature.

there is none unless you like whirring fans
get a metal case that acts as a radiator

I have a Noctua 40mm fan so that shouldn't be a problem, just not sure which case to print now

>Noctua 40mm
for a 12 volt like that you'll need an external fan controller/power supply
rpi pins only go to 5v with very little current for a fan like that

My guess is that the ones that don't take external power are using some part of the hdmi spec to get the power from, that the raspi doesn't deliver.

See

it's the 5V version and there's an adapter included for the GPIO pins, it's amazing

Attached: file.png (1825x1000, 1.47M)

hey that's pretty cool

used hdmi monitors are literally cheaper than rpi4

I liked this one, you can customize it a bit. thingiverse.com/thing:3723561

I did however print it with holes for the fan with the berry logo and it's completely offcenter, kek. So use another design if you want a fan. Did put in a $2 fan that whirs like no tomorrow also