Linus's fuckup has freaked me out - I want to switch my NAS to something with 'scrubbing'!!!

>Context
- I am a retard by Any Forums standards, but more advanced than dumb normies, assume I am somewhere in the middle when it comes to IT. I mostly got filtered by Linux but was able to use OMV on Pi for a while and use Linux in a couple of VMs for small specific purposes. Still, I prefer GUI for everything and feel more comfortable with Windows.
- I don't have any suitable hardware, so will have to buy dedicated new stuff, I am starting from zero

>I did a bit of research and have narrowed it down to 5 possibilities
1. TrueNAS Core, ZFS, big new desktop with plenty of drive bays and a motherboard to support them
2. Windows Server (activate using /fwt/ tricks), Storage Spaces, ReFS, activate the automatic integrity checking and fixing via Powershell if not on by default, big new desktop with plenty of drive bays and a motherboard to support them
3. Rockstor, Btrfs, big new desktop with plenty of drive bays and a motherboard to support them
4. 4-bay Synology, Btrfs

Attached: 1635514704732.jpg (933x933, 77.07K)

>Other thoughts
- Windows would be the most flexible, because I can also use it as a full computer as well. Full desktop experience, even games? Was wanting to get another PC for emulating PS1-PS2-PS3 gens games...
- I think I would also feel the most comfortable with Windows.
- Inability to add disks to arrays in ZFS, have to invest a lot up front and make a whole new array all at once and add it to the pool, would be expensive and annoying
- Synology is the most expensive for what I get, and completely puts a ceiling on future expansion...but might be the easiest and most headache-free for someone who is a retard by Any Forums standards?
- I would want to keep it offline most of the time, only connect to internet occasionally for updates, otherwise no need, it's just a NAS. With TrueNAS, Rockstor and Synology, they all have nice web UIs and I can control from my client PC. Is there something similar for Windows Server, or do I physically have to interact with it, because that would be a big minus. I know there is Teamviewer etc, but it has to be connected to the internet for that, I like I said I prefer to keep it offline. Is there any way to control Windows Server from within the network but offline?

Thanks

Attached: 1643552817421.png (1105x221, 151.39K)

*4 possibilities

And of course the actual question is: please help me decide which to go with (while being nice :3)

Attached: 1639265495998.png (1080x1028, 1.93M)

SIMPLE LISTEN TIGHTLY!!!
Don't use RAID at all.

RAID is not a substitute for backups

Attached: 1524225889167.jpg (300x173, 17.91K)

I know it's not, I will have ACTUAL backups elsewhere
I just wanna protect against bitrot
From what I've gathered, backups are not protection against bitrot, in the same way that RAID is not a substitute for backups
So I want RAID for the primary storage
Dunno about the backup though, maybe that can be simple JBOD? Or should that also be in RAID?

How can I protect against bit rot then?

Attached: 1643298766705.jpg (680x674, 65.36K)

ZFS, BtrFS and ReFS all provide bitrot protection
You just need to run scrubs

Attached: 1565379230822.jpg (1280x960, 185.36K)

Why RAID is bad for storing longterm? I'm new to this. Any article I could read?

So any of the 4 shortlisted solutions is good enough, they all get the job done?

Attached: 1643614628391.jpg (1136x1014, 163.14K)

store it in the cloud goy
no but really, just encrypt before you upload.

bitrot doesn't exist, you fell for one of the consoomer memes to get you to buy more HDDs.

RAID is good for storing longterm
RAID allows your pc to keep functioning in case of drive failure as long as the Array doesn't crash out completely.
but RAID doesn't prevent some dumbfuck from deleting files.
As long as you run periodic scrubs and have a RAID configuration so they can recover from a good copy in case of a bit rot.
Take your pills schizo

Attached: raid0anon.png (1362x665, 588.29K)

Use dedup like Syncthing or Borg, that only copies into one direction and turn it on only manually like twice a week. Make it copy to RAID 1 NAS from your computers.

It's what I do

linus cuck tip.

Attached: TrumpRedCard.jpg (656x500, 66.67K)

Uh NAS bros… what did he just say?

>believing in bitrot
>somehow not a schizo

not a surprise considering you also beleive everyone who disagrees with you is a schizo, and that meds actually do anything meaningful. do you also take (((fish oil))) tablets user??

if bitrot doesn't exist, what happened to linus's server?

also I recently picked up a few software cds off my shelf to back them up as isos. they all had hundreds on unreadable/unrecoverable sectors, whatever the term is. one had hundreds, one had thousands, one had tens of thousands. So what happened here too?

Attached: 1639507583945.gif (220x220, 1.72M)

>I just wanna protect against bitrot

Attached: chrome_if3AfRPF0X.png (737x209, 217.3K)

Let me guess, bad sectors dont exist either in your fantasy world

>this bait again
please post something more original next time

What bait? People should know about Rotational Velocidensity

lol