Why doesn't Gentoo support reproducible builds?

Why doesn't Gentoo support reproducible builds?
reproducible-builds.org/who/

Attached: 1639153612372.png (666x800, 119.4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gentoo.org/get-involved/irc-channels/
pod.tst.eu/http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.pod#I_use_Gentoo_and_I_have_a_problem
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gentoo.org/get-involved/irc-channels/

It's meant to be ground up customized, what would the point be in distributing what is only good for you?

>Why doesn't Gentoo support reproducible builds?
you trannies can't reproduce too.
accept it and stop obsessing over it. if you need that in a distro, find one that supports it and move on with your life.

Because Gentoo is a source based distribution.

>you trannies can't reproduce too.
Fucking lol, I'm keeping this one, will use it when the NixOS autists shill their shit distro

Because with all the stateful configuration you can throw at Portage it would be infeasible to achieve at this point.
NixOS is a source based distribution as well and yet it is the most reprodcible.

samefag

Because outside of a select few special cases, there is no real use to having "reproducible" builds in the real world.

If you disagree with this then please explain to me why the average linux user needs reproducible builds.

>everyone I don't like is samefagging

Why does Gentoo live rent-free in NixOS users' heads?

>bug report: package X version A.B.C is broken on my system
now let's deal with this
>please run with --verbose and upload the logs
>please run it with and post the call trace here
>what's your version of ?
>try upgrading
>try downgrading
>try reinstalling the package
>works on my machine
>can't reproduce, closing
vs
>post your package's build id please
>dev can now download the exact build of that package and troubleshoot locally
>pinpoints the root cause within minutes and fixes it

And when has this happened?

They want it but they can't have it.

>And when has this happened?
here is a fairly prominent example
pod.tst.eu/http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.pod#I_use_Gentoo_and_I_have_a_problem
>They want it but they can't have it.
nothing stops me from installing gentoo right now, short of ny utter disappointment with portage in the past. I'll tell you about it. I wasted many days trying to improve gentoo's build process only to realize nix had all those features out of the box, e.g.
>building a package on a remote machine on-demand
extremely useful for those cases when you need a new package on your weak laptop and can't be arsed to compile locally. sshing into your build server and building a binary that fits your client's USE flags and other configuration exactly is a massive pain in the ass. I wrote a wrapper script around emerge that would upload the entire portage config, patches, and everything elae into a chroot on my build server, made it build a binpkg and then ran emerge locally to download the binpkg. even with this automation, I had to manually deal with conflicts in the build chroot, then deal with other conficts on the laptop, while also making sure that the packages that get built actually match what portage on the laptop expects. on the other hand, nix has this feature built-in. it literally just works. doesn't matter if your build server has a wildly different config than your laptop, or wildly different package versions. it just works.
>a shared binary package repository where multiple hosts could upload binaries, even with different configurations
the idea behind this one was to make builds more efficient across multiple hosts. if this machine built this package, why should every other machine have to waste time building the exact same package again? once again this was a struggle with gentoo's binary package format. portage can't differentiate between "package-1.7 with this patch applied" and "package-1.7 with no patches" in its binary repo format. (continuing)

I'm not reading this.

Thank you for that laugh. Was good.

But seriously, why does the AVERAGE linux user need reproducible builds?

This.
Gentoo solves a specific issue for a specific set of users. Namely, power-users who want detailed control over their packages and optimizations.
NixOS solves a specific issue for a specific set of users. Users who actually need reproducible builds...so like some devs and system admins at medium to large companies that need a custom built Linux based OS.

>single example, and more of a dev bitching with no proofs provided than an actual example
>no you didn't; you're a fucking liar
>you yourself made this overly complex and broken...amusing you even actually did that
>I see you can't figure out a custom repo and slotting.

Don't bother. It is borderline word salad and extremely contrived.

this is the same schizo that pastes the greentext copypasta about reproducible builds right?
I have that filtered so I have no seen it in forever.

Yes.

(cont) it can differentiate things like USE flags, but that's about it. no CFLAGS, no extra environment variables, no patches. portage will even include unrelated setup scripts from your /etc/portage/bashrc in the package without differentiating packages. portage binary repos only work for uniform hosts. nix's binary cache repo format can store packages of any kind side-by-side, tracking everything that goes into the package exactly. doesn't matter if it's a slighrtly different patch or a different target architecture entirely. once again, it just works.
>testing packages without permanently installing them
when searching for a new tool to accomplish a certain task, it's useful to be able to install them locally and give them a try. gentoo has a leg up on most other distros here thanks to emerge -1 and also the easily editable world file. it still struggles because said new package still has to be integrated into the system, which may not go all that smoothly on gentoo, requiring USE changes and installing dependencies that may be hard to get rid of later on. with nix shells you can just load the package into a temporary environment, test it, then exit the shell and run a garbage collect to clean up, with no leftover trash. simple.
>customizing packages beyond USE flags
USE flags are nice, but they are still a limited view of the changes you can perform on a package. if you want to make modifications beyond that, you better hope you can do so with environment variable injection alone, because otherwise you get to copy the ebuild into your local overlay and keep bumping its version manually for all eternity. nix's overrides can change any part of the package build script prorgrammatically. now answer me this: why should I use gentoo when nixos does everything I needed gentoo to do, but does it so much better?

No one cares, retard.

kek

Attached: 1611025338781.gif (300x225, 1.75M)

you're doing a great job at showing everyone who the real mouth breather is

>you trannies can't reproduce too.

Attached: cheetahlaugh.jpg (585x591, 96.97K)