What's the point of Wayland

>install a wayland desktop
>barely any software has native wayland versions
>still have to use xwayland, nullifying any benefits wayland has
>don't have traditional x features despite that

Honestly what is the point?

Attached: kisspng-wayland-linux-computer-software-display-server-col-5b1fb0ee91e338.0611663615288035665976.jpg (900x400, 55.64K)

Security
Maintainability
Power efficiency

>still have to use xwayland
What now?

You use it less as time goes on, if everything goes according to plan

Yes, it still be secure and power efficient since you’ll never want to power a machine on if it is running that useless crap

cool so still using X for the next 60 years

XWayland cannot snoop on Wayland applications and is still better than raw Xorg by itself. It also doesn't affect Wayland applications in any way, those will still be secure, free of tearing, smooth, etc. How does it nullify anything?

>xwayland nullifies wayland benefits
Cool, I didn't know X.org could support mixed DPI or refresh rate setups without causing screen tearing and other trash.
Oh wait, it can't, and Wayland can, even while using XWayland for applications.

>Gayland
corrected it for you

>use wayland
>can't take a screenshot of a window or desktop unless it's built into the compositor
yeah, what IS the point of wayland?

when i switch to wayland i don't get kinetic scrolling on firefox anymore, anyone know how to turn it on?

MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
Also make sure you have MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1

>barely any software has native wayland versions
Aside from Wine everything I run is native wayland.
>Honestly what is the point?
Not having a keylogger.

> Security
Wayland does not define any access control protocols and is as such less secure than X11.
> Maintainability
If you want to see how shitty Wayland code is just look at the average Hello World program maintainability my ass. X11 code on the other hand is surprisingly good for the age.
> Power efficiency
Uncomposited X11 doesn't even wake up the GPU when idle. Conveniently all power efficiency "benchmarks" always use the major Desktops KDE and GNOME with their compositors enabled. This shit doesn't tell you anything

default-closed is more secure than default-open. nobody uses xace. nobody.

Xace is broken by design. Go away xoid, your garbage has been deprecated by chad wayland

>Wayland does not define any access control protocols and is as such less secure than X11.
That's up to the compositor to implement. Wayland is a protocol, not software.
Also
>X11
>access control
Never seen it used.

Wayland is default nothing. It's simply not defined.

No it works perfectly. Nobody uses it because overreaching security are totally pointless on Desktop systems running free software.
Why don't you to switch to Android? It already does what you want. No Wayland needed.

Yes, you have to trust each individual compositor to take care of it. Considering the buggyness of KDE I don't trust them one bit with security and GNOME trannies can not be trusted by default.

Wayland Smithers?

>I force vsync and pretend it's a feature

>screen tearing is LE GOOD
>muh COMPETITIVE GAYMING
kill yourself

cope