/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Read the sticky:

>GNU/Linux questions >Windows questions >PC building? >Programming questions >Good, cheap laptops >Cheap electronics >Server questions >Buying headphones How to find/activate any version of Windows?
rentry.org/installwindows

Previous Thread:

Attached: monitor.jpg (640x841, 58.83K)

Will a dying CPU causes internet to go unstable?
my internet speed & ping is fine, but my friends that play game with are saying that my characters are laggy and jerky all the time.
I'm also using a powerline network adapter, not sure if that's the cause for unstable internet even though I have good speed & ping.

CPU's "dying" state is very rare, they are usually dead or working. Since the CPU handles so much if it were having issues, it wouldn't limit itself to just game code, you would have all kinds of issues no matter what it was doing

it's the powerline

Asking again
1) Whenever I paste a file to the desktop it automatically snaps to the top left and moves all other icons. I have auto-arrange off already and it still happens, no idea what to do (win 10 btw). In win 7 they`d just paste wherever the cursor was. Also they do this with align to grid on or off.

2) in file explorer half my shit on the desktop is split between the regular desktop and the "public" desktop, If I delete the public desktop will it stop and everything will be in regular desktop always or will it just fuck with my machine? I'm the only user I don't even need a public account except apparently it's needed for some system shit?

Both of those are perplexing, I've never heard of either, but it does sound like your Windows is malfunctioning? are you having other random issues? perhaps a reinstall is in order

how do i shot web :/

Not a single other issue, it's a fresh install too. The public one is actually a default thing according to google, all I want to know for that one is if erasing the public account/folders with fuck something up or not, or at the very least how to make it so the items from both "desktops" show up in the same place in file explorer

The icon one is the real ball-buster, no fucking idea why it happens or how to fix it.

>default thing
really? can you give more details on what you meant by
> half my shit on the desktop is split between the regular desktop and the "public" desktop
It sounds like you meant the windows Libraries that target your desktop and the public account, but I didn't want to assume
If that is the case you can just remove them from the libraries rather than delete the public account

Where's the career advice thread?

Being more specific: say I have 20 icons in my actual desktop, when I open file explorer 15 will show up, while 5 of them will be under C:/users/public/public desktop, and I want to make them all show up under this pc/desktop.

As for deleting public, I was just wondering what it's even for or why it needs to exist when I already have my account which is the admin and the only user.

Would an iPad 2 work okay for reading manga?

I see, as for the purpose of the Public folder it is for file sharing both in the case of multiple users on one PC, and the default visible folders when you enable file sharing for networked users

how can I open up a helium filled hard drive without letting all the helium out?

You don't. Opening a hard drive is equivalent to destroying it.

how much deditated wam to server....

How am I supposed to clean it then?

You don't. It's airtight. Dirt isn't getting inside.

I'm pretty sure the helium filled ones are welded shut since otherwise the helium would easily leak out. (And even so it still leaks through the metal very slowly since helium particles are really small.) Even data recovery places have problems with them last I checked for this reason. Also no way to prevent the helium immediately leaking out unless you open it inside a chamber also filled with helium or something.

Also

When I first heard that you can connect external hdd to both pc and a charger like picrel I thougth, wtf, won't this cause any problems, short circuits?
Seems like the 5V+ from charger is applied to 5V+ from the laptop. Can someone tell me how does that not break anything and/or result in 0V cause 5-5=0?

Attached: kabel.jpg (474x632, 35.69K)

Got an issue with my internet connection.
There are periods where jitter even on ISP's routers just shoots up for whatever reason.
For example normal operation my ping to the closest ISP router is like this.
>0ms
>1ms
>1ms
>0ms
>3ms
etc
But when the issue starts happening I see something like this
>1ms
>50ms
>200ms
>130ms
>20ms
>40ms
>3ms
>100ms
etc
This can go on for a while but reconnecting my internet temporary fixes it.
It feels as if my internet channel is choking and my internet speed also drops during this periods but there's zero traffic on the network and this mostly happens in the evenings. My ISP doesn't throttle connections and has no reason to do so.
Is there any traffic shaping/QoS running on ISP router that may be spazzing out?
I assume a bad cable connection from my home to ISP's router would also cause packet loss but there's zero loss even during periods of high jitter and it would happen 24/7 instead of the random periods of time.
Any idea what may be happening?