Honest, unbiased opinions on Apple computers (imac, mac mini, pro, etc...

Honest, unbiased opinions on Apple computers (imac, mac mini, pro, etc.) I've only ever used Linux and Windows but I'm interested in trying out a Mac.

Attached: F4D8623E-F756-4395-A15B-865093F3AF94.jpg (1536x2048, 318.96K)

its like linux but usable. supports everything but gaymen. though the ceo is a gay man. if you like linux but hate the jank, give macos a try

they're good

- posted from my thinkpad

honestly just get one, you won't know until you use it
i could sit here and list out the reasons why i think its better but those probably won't apply to you

It just works.

I used a MacBook Pro all throughout college and for years after. It still works great I just don’t really use it anymore except when traveling. Using it felt a lot like using Linux to me. I had no complaints other than it not having some niche software that I was using beforehand.

they're fine, but get a macbook without a touchbar because that thing is fucking stupid. Good luck if you use esc frequently, I rebound to capslock.

also, prepare yourself to spend money on usb-c dongles if you don't have those.

overall macs are a great choice, but are really expensive and fuck apple.

>unbiased
>apple consooomer

Attached: 1631692601020.gif (492x342, 791.87K)

I've owned and used pretty much everything. I'll only buy MacBooks, now.

Posted from an early 2015 MBP w/retina that still works beautifully.

The hardware is nice, but the os is really just a watered down linux. I used one for college, and it was great for just doing something and doing it fast. If you are actually into computing as a hobby then you aren't missing out on anything. I did like that the shell was zsh though. I thought thought was interesting. The interface is basically a shitty version of GNOME. There aren't many ways to optimize your workflow like you may be used to with linux.
The other issue with it that is not acknowledged enough on this board os the fact that it is spyware just like windows is. They can see everything you do.

i have a 16" m1 pro. hardware is great. good performance, little fan noise, easy 10 hour battery life. notch becomes barely noticeable after using it.

software is more of a mixed bag. there were memory leaks on Mac OS 12.0 (which was preinstalled). it was fixed in 12.1 but apple's ok with shipping broken software contrary to all the "just works" marketing. and brew is worse than pretty much any linux package manager.

Good operating system and drivers. Just works. Apple doesn't force you to sign in with an Apple account like Google does on Android. MacOS does not find excuses to shove advertisements and itunes bullshit in my face.

Build quality is not good enough for the price. No reason to buy M1. No reason to buy ipad. No reason to buy anything other than their cheapest Macbook Air.

Still prefer Linux because I'm not scared of my shit breaking and don't want to maintain two sets of dotfiles.

Attached: 1623829902589.gif (500x1000, 501.74K)

I only got into Apple computers with the m1 air 2020 16gb 256gb ssd that I got not that long ago. Best computer purchase of my life. It's the perfect laptop, although some fags might want more ports on the machine itself. For me, I am perfectly fine with the 2 usb c:s and just have one USB C hub for my hdmi when I am using it docked.

The m1 shit is really, really good. I love having a unix machine without any freetard limitations. Got all the graphic editing tools I want. The hardware is the best. I want to have sex with my machine

as a nigerian, from my m1 air 2020 16gb 256gb ssd

>No reason to buy anything other than their cheapest Macbook Air
It's worth spending more at least for 16gb, and possibly for the 8core GPU rather than 7core, though it depends on your use-case

Great if you're a content creator but shitty for everything else.

I've had a mid 2012 MBP since it launched. I'm very happy with the experience overall and see no reason to upgrade my decade old laptop.

MacOS is a bit retardo in some aspects (What are global keyboard shortcuts that override the application that currently has focus?) but good in others.

Apple artificially dropping support for older models is the only dumb part. There are unofficial ways to update but why should I have to do that?

As a programmer, macs are good but thinkpads are better.
Linux is easier to use on thinkpads than on macs.
Thinkpad keyboards are superior:
+ Keys feel better to use, especially compared to butterfly switch mac keyboards
+ A few more useful keys (separate volume keys, separate delete and backspace key)
+ Touchbars are easier to avoid
- Touchbars are worse than mac touchbars if you end up with one
+ Trackpoint and physical buttons for left click, right click and middle click
- No full size fn keys like on newer macs
Thinkpad build quality is better (Thinkpads are more durable than macs)
Other comparisons depend on the exact laptop being compared. Macs come in sizes from tiny and lightweight notebook to large and powerful workstation. So do thinkpads.

i really really wish i got the 16gb version. i knew it was soc but didnt really think it out. i use mine docked to a 49" ultrawide and while it works it uses a fuck ton of ram just to get that accomplished because shared ram. its usable and there are rarely slowdowns but when the slowdowns happen, i always wish i just got the 16gb version.

>though it depends on your use-case
Yeah I don't need any of that because my use-case is not being a faggy art student who edits videos that no one will watch.

no worries man, it's a $200 upgrade so with the money saved on the ram you can justify upgrading a year earlier than you normally would and youll be ahead of the pack
theres more use to a gpu than that.
that being said, i had no fucking idea its $250 more. thought it was just $100. that's a ripoff. for less than 10% (2-5 fps) performance increase

if you like to customise or otherwise fuck around, it isn't for you.
it's probably the worst target for open source software.
anything that went from gplv2 to gplv3 will be out of date, and you'll probably want to install updated versions using homebrew, if possible.
macos is deprecating old languages that used to come as standard, like php and python 2.x.
the os and included software quality has gone downhill.
i just install bash from homebrew

They reliably work well, downside is the price.
I can't stand windows, seems like it was made not to ever work right.