Micro controller boards

Want to learn c/embeeded what micro controller board should I get? esp 32, arduino, pi pico? Also what are some good beginner projects.

Any anons working on projects using these types of boards what are you making?

Attached: file.png (999x714, 572.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/4001080714038.html
aliexpress.com/item/4000138949610.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Arduino is really easy to get into and there are tons of cheap components specifically designed to work with them.

Depends on what specs you need.
I guess it doesn't really matter if you just want to dip into it for the giggles and learning.
I started out with the micro arduino boards, then esp32 and also ATtinies. Just go for it, the stuff is relatively cheap

Need WiFi? ESP8266
Need BT? ESP32
Need moar power? Pi
Need just a controller? Arduino

are the arduino clones fine or do they have issues?

Make a fuckin osrs hardware bot undetectable and based. Make venezuelans seethe

Mine were fine but there ARE shitty bootlegs that can fuck with your shit. Just get your boards from good sources and not from the cheapest listings on Changexpress

Get a 5v one like Arduinos because 3.3v stinks and it's a pain in the ass

What are you actually wanting to learn?
Developing bare metal for the ESP32 is also a PITA, you're basically forced to use the RTOS, but you'll learn a lot more skills.
The Pi pico will give you more actual bare metal skills but everyone I know agrees that it's a bit weird as far as microcontrollers go.
Arduinos are also hand-holdy and the HAL they use is not representative of any HAL you would ever use for a real project. That being said, you can just pretend they're normal hardware and at that point they make great affordable breakout boards.
Regarding C, the most important aspect is to learn C separately from learning about microcontrollers. Microcontrollers are weird and it's important to understand the boundaries of the well-definedness of C before embarking on trying to write it for weird targets otherwise you're going to have a bad time and join the statistic of people who introduced severe vulnerabilities in C programs through their incompetence. C is NOT a portable assembler and treating it as such will cause you never ending issues.

I write in asm for pics, and I always write from scratch because I dont trust code written by someone else. If I need connectivity I use an ESP with AT firmware.

Attached: 1411291097234_wps_5_https_www_facebook_com_pa.jpg (634x617, 74.37K)

Perfectly fine. For 99% of things any clone with CH340 will do. Unless you want to mess with USB MCU, then get arduino with 8u2/16u2/32u2, because CH340 is not programmable.

I wanna learn c/microcontrollers just so I can fuck around with leds and sensors and shit kek. Dont really know what I want from it guess just to have fun. Also would like to try and make a keyboard from scratch doesn't need to have full keys and would also just be for fun. This would include the programming tho dont just wanna use someone elses code. Only reason i thought esp might be a good option to learn is that you can host a webpage on there for controlling stuff over wifi

>otherwise you're going to have a bad time and join the statistic of people who introduced severe vulnerabilities in C programs through their incompetence
should be fine i doubt I will ever use C in actual software or professionally kek

I used the Elegoo uno clone for a class in uni. Good but weighed a bit more if that's an issue. Other than that it worked the same, same software etc

Why do you hate STM32?

What’s so shitty about them in your opinion? I buy literally the cheapest Unos I can find from chinkexpress and have created around 20 different devices for various industrial companies, no issues so far.

In some cases you get really strange behavior that can be hard to debug, costing you tons of nerves and time. In other cases it's just dumb shit like solder bridges which are quick to fix but still not always a good deal for just a couple bucks difference.
I often buy the third cheapest or next to cheapest ones if it's simple hobby project shit for myself but I do not cheap when I build something someone else will use in the future or when I had bad luck with certain boards and am fed up with that shit and just want shit to work. Then I'll grab stuff from the source I trust so I can expect some quality.

This guy gets it. I spent a year of my professional life developing for STM32 with FreeRTOS and Arduino doesn't prepare good habits for working. It's still good if you have absolutely no idea how to program MCU's.
The level of staring at registers and looking up HAL functions will feel like an entire different beast than using a few pre-made functions for Arduino, however there are plenty inbuilt functions as long as you use a code generation software lile STMCubeMX to generate your initialization routines.
The whole experience definitely made me appreciate the hell out of C and I wouldn't try to use anything else unless I'm on a Pi or desktop PC.

They're not that accessible to hobbyists, blue/black pill exists buy they're spotty in quality with so shody many clones

get an esp32 unless you have a specific library that doesn't work on it
the esp32 supports the arduino ide, it's cheap and powerful, just don't get the esp32-c3, that doesn't work as well

Never worked with the esp32-c3, but yeah, esp32 is cheap as hell, works with arduino ide, and supports esphome > that one is very easy to integrate into home assistant, if you're into that

Got me a bridge that couples BT devices over an esp32, that sends the data over wifi to HA. That thing only reboots when there's a power outage, works like a charm

Are these lilygo baords decent? they have extra stuff like screens and sd card
aliexpress.com/item/4001080714038.html
aliexpress.com/item/4000138949610.html

Have a few esp32-cam boards with an sd card, but never ever used the sd card interface

The first board you posted has an external power supply, so my guess it supports a battery, if you need it. Screens are mostly oled, over I2C, you can get them separate for like 5$ each.

It depends on what you want to do with them, better of buying a few with less options.

I'm currently trying out micropython, so bought 2, one is from lilygo, other from nodemcu

Think all in all I got about 8-9, 3 in use, 2 as camera's, one as BT bridge for HA