Desktop VOIP Instead of Phone?

Pretend you need a phone for speaking to customers at work but don't want to actually have or own a phone and would prefer doing such speaking from desktop Linux.

If you need to make phone calls from the desktop to actual real phone lines and receive phone calls back from real phone lines, how would you do so for as cheaply and easily as possible?

Secondary questions:
>(1) Would such traffic be able to be routed through a VPN?
>(2) Are there any security/privacy-focused companies that help achieve such a VOIP service or setup?

Attached: VOIP.jpg (2560x1707, 550.01K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cell2jack.com.
jami.net/
linphone.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump because I'm interested as well
I'm aware of a few proprietary options but nothing like what OP wants

voip.ms

What proprietary options exit anyway?

Bump for this, even proprietary.

Based.

I'd get a picrelated.
Softphones are meme.

Attached: dx800a_allinone_sys_tl_pianobla_tit_ger_700x550_2_1_6.jpg (700x550, 37.17K)

What are these, how do they work, and can they be piped through a VPN? How are they connected?

t. Noob retard.

Bump for this.

>What are these
Combined SIP and ISDN phone with some nice additional features

>how do they work
Just like any other landline phone, with addition of SIP accounts.

>can they be piped through a VPN
As long as you have a router.

>How are they connected?
Ethernet and phone jack.

This.

Does that work on Linux desktops or only on spartphones?

cell2jack.com. $31 shipped. Links any cellphone to a landline phone via bluetooth. Even works with rotary phones.

Attached: cell2jack.jpg (199x183, 24.73K)

I don't want to have or use an actual cell phone though, that's the problem. Just VOIP software on the actual computer or the likes.

Get a SIP trunk like suggested, then put your data into something like Jami or Linphone. Ezpz

I don't know what any of these things or terms are, user. Explain?

Normally i'd tell you to fuck off and RTFM, but fine:
SIP trunk is what your VoIP provider (like voip.ms) registers for you, it's basically equivalent to a landline.
You can use a SIP client like Linphone to put in your provider data, i.e. SIP server and authentication data, so that software is reachable and can make outbound calls via the registered number.
jami.net/
linphone.org/

So, to clarify, I can simply sign up/pay for a voip.ms account and then download Linphone on my desktop and call/receive calls via my computer headset without ever having to deal with an actual cell phone myself? That's what I want.

Thank you for your patience with my retardation.

I have a question that is... nearly related.

What if I want to have my own VoIP number and also receive sms?

I think you can easily do that because SMS goes to VOIP.

?