/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: rms.jpg (1920x1080, 244.46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/issues/5257
guidetoroot.com/root-samsung-galaxy-a32/
gamingonlinux.com/2022/01/kde-finally-gets-root-operations-in-dolphin-big-2022-plans-for-wayland/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Power stance
I love GNU!!!

Attached: stickyricecake.png (886x1172, 2.31M)

Good heavens

cute boy.
where can i get that wig?

>fedora 35
>firefox keeps crashing thanks to wayland
>push to talk on mumble etc. does not work thanks to wayland
how the fuck can people even remotely think of wayland as ready for desktop use?

Wayland is definitely still not ready to completely take over from X yet. Give it like another decade.

>>firefox keeps crashing thanks to wayland
>Wayland is definitely still not ready to completely take over from X yet. Give it like another decade.
You two have no idea what you're talking about.

>firefox keeps crashing thanks to wayland
Works on my machine.
>push to talk on mumble etc. does not work thanks to wayland
Why are you using outdated software that doesn't support secure input methods?

>I don't use program X thus it's outdated and push-to-talk is somehow insecure because I say so

>close netbook while debian boots
>boot process pauses
Why the heck is this a thing? How do i disable it? Why are powersaving features enabled before the DE even appears?

>push-to-talk is somehow insecure
>implying we were talking about push-to-talk when we said secure input methods
It's over for you bro. You slipped.

Do wayland compositors have a method of exposing keyboard state to unfocused applications now?

I know this seems like /spg/ but that thread is full of CONSOOMERS that probably dont know anything about actual hardware or software:
>whats a simple cheap phone that isnt impossible to root or to degoogle
All my requirements are
>having a decent cam
>having a trad audio jack

I might not be a Wayland protocol or Linux programming expert but at least I don't have autism and realize why linux on desktop will never be an actual thing.
github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/issues/5257
>To my knowledge to this date Wayland (in contrast to X11) does not provide a way to either grab all user input nor does it allow to register global shortcuts. Instead one is supposed to register shortcuts with the currently used Window Manager (but there does not seem to exist a standard to do this).

how cheap do you want to go? I have a Samsung A32 and it's pretty cheap, fills out all of your requirements.
guidetoroot.com/root-samsung-galaxy-a32/

systemd sucks ass.

>gamingonlinux.com/2022/01/kde-finally-gets-root-operations-in-dolphin-big-2022-plans-for-wayland/

>Wayland improvements also came in recently like supporting greater than 8-bit colour

does this mean that I will finally be able to consoom HDR content on my HDR 400 certified monitor without having to dualboot into my wangblow partition?

Also I really want to switch to wayland but for some reason whenever I play windows gaymes on wayland they don't let me set the resolution past 1440p even though my monitor is 4k. Anyway to fix that? I'm using fedora kde spin btw and amd everything.

Realistically, how often does arch break on you? Share your experiences. im trying to get back to linux and looking into arch right now but im not sure if i want to take the risk of it breaking while there are deadlines and stuff

install Gentoo

Attached: sex-icon-penis-logo-male-symbols-vector-image-isolated-white-background-106166255.jpg (1300x1390, 68.22K)

Used it for a year or so, had to manually intervene updates two times. Nothing broke but I guess that's what some people mean by it.