/hsg/ - Home Server General

Home Server General

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server
>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.
>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud or seafile to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.
>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.
>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
labgopher.com
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/
forums.servethehome.com
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Previous thread

Attached: 1638812075331.png (1352x1642, 3.5M)

any suggestions on small hardware that can replace a pi4?
in an other thread someone suggested a Dell Wyse 3040 already but it only has 1 usb 3 port

Intel NUC.i run a NUC8i5 for myself, running several docker hosts, two minecraft game server (modded and vanilla), a nextcloud and a discord bot.

there was a time where it was running a terraria and valheim server on top of that

Since there's no more /cumg/ I guess this is the most relevant thread for this question, does Hydrus support hash matching to find tags? I've just started to dip my toes into it and I just want an option for autotagging that doesn't require downloading the entire PTR.

Any of the little 1L microservers on ebay, reasonably upgradable too.

fuck off back to degenerate.

>no /cumg/
What's the most intelligent way to download all of my Soundcloud likes with album art attached? I don't want to youtube-dl each one individually and inspect element for the image.

You can embed the thumbnail directly into the mp3 with --embed-thumbnail, looks like you need to use --user and --password with oauth settings to get your likes though.

how much ram does it have?

have been looking into those but even second hand ppl are asking ridicules prices

>youtube-dl

boomer

>why yes, I do use the youtube downloader addon that requires me to sign in

64GB DDR4

where do you live and where are you looking? they're at most €200 here in EU on our local ebay-alternative, and around €150 if you look at craigslist-alt and normiebook marketplace which is just slightly more than a Pi4 package these days.

look for a lenovo tiny, dell micro and hp mini with a i5 6500t, they're usually the most available modern one with DDR4. you can sometimes find t he older models with DDR3 and 3rd or 4th gen i5 for closer to €100 and it's not a huge difference in performance, but you lose the M.2 slot.

Attached: IMG_20210827_074720.jpg (2016x1512, 265.92K)

> Okay, so let's see if I got this right:

> First, I'll set my home router to point to pihole as my DNS server.
if you want every device in your network to use it (propagated by DHCP): yes

> Then I'll configure pihole to use OpenDNS or something like that as the upstream DNS server.
yes, if you want to allow other requests as well, yes. i e.g. use cloudflare for it

> Lastly I configure my internal services to use .home.arpa as their domains, like: pihole.home.arpa?
you dont need to configure them. You can just setup your own DNS to answer DNS requests like pohole.home.arpa itself, e.g. with the local ip of your pihole

I'm running out of hard drive slots in my system and was told that I should build a NAS. However, my home internet connection is only 200/100 Mbps, so wouldn't this make transferring large files between my pc and the nas terribly slow?

your internal connection is independent of your external one. Your network devices are probably all gigabit ones (you want to make sure that they are before tho). the nas is just another device in your home network

repost since old thread died: i have a question about DNS and hosting from home.

my situation:
> own domain, A-Record points to my public IP
> different subdomains (websites) have CNAME to that A-Record
> hosting minecraft server on a port thats not 25565, accessible over the subdomain mc.example.com

Now i specified an SRV-Record for that server with the actual port, pointing to the subdomain mc.example.com. Since SRV-Records should only point to A/AAAA-Records, i have now two A-Records specified in the domain, both pointing on the same IP. No problem to update both with OPNSense at chang, but its still a 2nd configuration.

Would it work to point the SRV-Record to example.com and make mc.example.com a CNAME for domain.tld? Or should the SRV and an existing record both have the same goal?

local network connection speed has nothing to do with the speed you get from your isp.

buy a 10gbe network card, switch and router and you'll have 10gbe local network speed, 0% packet loss.

I see, thank you.

LAN transfers doesnt go outside your apartment so your internet connection is irrelevant.

no, you should build a SAN, not a NAS

it's been depreciated for months you stupid american.

>san

dont tell him that. not only are they expensive, its a bitch to get parts for maintenance

it still works. even when youtube changed something on their end, a quick update came. I literally just used it this week faggot

dumbass probably meant DAN

DAS*

1) it’s cheaper than 10gbe,
2) you can go point-to-point just like you likely would with 10gbe
3) unlike ethernet, fibre channel is lossless
4) a san will present storage to his/her/their os directly
5) a san wont cause extra traffic on your ip network
ur retard

it works but it's not actively developed, you should swap to using yt-dlp, which is the actively developed fork.

>swap to my fork

no thx

enjoy your throttled downloads from youtube lad

put SRV record on example.com
make mc.example.com A record
all other subdomains should be C-names.
that's how i'd do it