Poetteringware and Red Hat

Why do you not trust Poetteringware and red hat influenced projects like systemd, Wayland, Pulse, Pipewire, GNOME, Avahi, etc?
Give me concrete reasons why you have a level of distrust that causes you to avoid these things. I am on the fence because sometimes they seem too good to be true. They obviously don't make these things out of the kindness of their own heart, but I also don't see any concrete evidence to suggest that they are nefarious to me as a user.

Attached: Lennart_poettering.jpg (1024x678, 90.33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lockin
qualys.com/2022/01/25/cve-2021-4034/pwnkit.txt
distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=SysV&status=Active#simple
distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=OpenRC&status=Active#simple
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i want a minimal unix os with nothing but text support and an image of my waifu in dwm

i only use my computer for irc and hentai

Attached: 1639240425669.png (400x514, 228K)

That's a personal preference. I want to hear the arguments about why these projects are untrustworthy.

why user are you such a neet? do you have any real friends?

i do have friends
i'm a student, but soon-to-be-neet this may

There is an error/feature in systemd where usernames beginning with numbers are automatically added to the wheels group. According to Poettering it is expected behavior in Unix clones, but a lot of people think it might be a security risk

But y'all give that man some rest. I know he's a bit of an outsider and has a massive ego, but so are we too. And systemd was the first project that ever tackled boot order problem

I use both extensively. Whenever I use a systemd-based distro, especially with gnome, the system is unreliable and bloated.
It can't shutdown properly, it leaks memory, it's buggy, unstable, it freezes sporadically.
Right now I'm using Void linux, no desktop environment, only a window manager, and it's stable as fuck.
The reason these projects are untrustworthy is because of how they lock down the entire ecosystem with their dependencies.
Sometimes you want to run an alternative, and you HAVE to download theirs EVEN THOUGH YOU DON'T USE THEM. This is now how free software works.
Look up feature creep, and especially vendor lockin. These are not new problems, but were major issues for unix-like systems and free software decades ago:
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lockin

Poetteringware is made by smelly krauts. All I need to know

>There is an error/feature in systemd
There is not only one error, there are many. Primarily an (intentional) error in its architecture where it is not an option but literally inextricable from a free OS. Even linux (the kernel) can be replaced by other kernels.

>不名誉なプログラムシステムディー Delete Any Files CVE-2012-1174 コンピューターが破壊された 0-Day ゼロデイ Root Exploit CVE-2017-1000082 コンピュータを好きなように実行させます systemd-resolvd Remote Code Execution CVE-2017-15908 サービス拒否 Denial of Service CVE-2017-9217 バッファオーバーフロー Buffer Overflow CVE-2015-7510 and CVE-2018-15688 Arbitrary State Insertion 状態注入 Root Privilege Elevation CVE-2018-15686 (Severity Scored 10.0!) ルートアカウントの不適切なアクセス Root Privilege Elevation Again 特権の昇格 CVE-2020-13776 カーネルパニック Kernel Panic CVE-2019-6454 任意のコードの実行 Arbitrary Code Execution CVE-2020-1712

Aren't there pure SysV or OpenRC distributions?

Pipewire is one of the things that pulled polkit with that hacked sudo thing

I do trust them though, Poettering has written some of the best parts of modern Linux. It is really impressive how productive he has been.

The anti-Poettering crowd are all schizo conspiracy theorists who can't code. Intelligent programmers and sysadmins appreciate the benefits of Poettering's software.

>vendor lockin
What's your alternative? Using the same fundamentally broken shit for 100 years?

It goes against the fundamental Unix Philosophy of small efficient programs combined into a greater whole. I personally prefer windows, simple as. But I won't even bother keeping linux on my other kit if it's just going to not just claptrap, thats part of the linux cost, but faggoted claptrap? No thanks.
Principles and philosophy should mean something

qualys.com/2022/01/25/cve-2021-4034/pwnkit.txt

As I said, no one else dared to work on boot order because it's a complicated problem. And when he came up (aka adapted boot from MacOS) with a complicated solution, people went crazy.
I mean, it's free software, if you dislike systemd and think there's a better way, write your own init system

Couldn't you make the same argument about the linux kernel itself? Why does it get pulled in as a dependency when I don't want it? Don't there have to be some consistencies to some extent in order for the operating system as a whole to move forward?
I think it's important too to recognize that gnu/linux is a Unix-like system, but it is not Unix itself. This means it is what we make it, and there has to be a compromise between modularity and standardization because modularity can breed a type of chaos that causes stagnation. However, too much standardization done by the wrong people can give them too much power over the direction of the os and users

Not quite sure about what you mean by "pure", but yes there are many.
>distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=SysV&status=Active#simple
>distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=OpenRC&status=Active#simple

Just remember how GNUtards lose their shit whenever someone asks for alternatives to coreutils

The alternative woulf have been for RedHat to simply fork the Linux kernel and userland to create a different OS.
Or at least to make their utilities or "init suite" or whatever buzzwors they are using today into a modular opt-in (or at least even opt-out) system, rather than steamrolling the entire OS as if they own it.

>Avahi
Poottering is only responsible for the implementation, it's just the freetard version of Apple's Bonjour. Don't like it, write something better. Oh wait, you're a freetard too.

>captcha TSVAG

>Couldn't you make the same argument about the linux kernel itself? Why does it get pulled in as a dependency when I don't want it?
Yes but it's the opposite way around, Linux (kernel) pulled in GNU utilities to make its own OS.
So this is a fine example of how a modular OS should work. If a greedy corporation had been running GNU, this would have been a lot harder, just as it is getting harder to break out of redhat's tendrils today.
Had redhat and their (corporate) strategy of vendor lockin been running the show back then, in a hypothetical situation, you could never have had such hacking going on, you would ONLY be able to use the redhat provided coreutils with a redhat kernel.
This is vendor lockin and it is not in the spirit of free software.

>Just remember how GNUtards
...says the not-so-bright corporate-tard

Thanks for proving my point