I've never programmed before, should I learn it through SICP?

I've never programmed before, should I learn it through SICP?

Attached: images - 2022-02-01T020651.056.jpg (461x665, 47.57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lobste.rs/s/sp9khl/how_recommend_books_stop_recommending#c_zobn8p
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nah go learn python or C or better yet ask yourself why you want to learn this shit and if you dont have a valid reason stop wasting your time. If you dont have an use for this shit you will forget about it in a week.

No shits outdated as hell. Read that for fun after you’ve learned some programming and computer science

Yes do it. I read it recently its fucking awesome

If it’s just for fun, then knock your socks off.

vouch
It's good for reinforcing existing knowledge, but given how outdated Lisp is and how the industry has evolved when it was written, the knowledge isn't necessary to know as a beginner in 2021. The creator of SICP admits himself that programming has fundamentally changed since it was written (for best or for worst). I'd recommend learning python first as it's beginner friendly.

For the millionth time, SICP is a hilariously outdated universityfaggot piece of shit. It was outdated in the mid 90s. Universities preach this shitty book because it's an easy automated way to make you take 4 years worth of credits to learn the stupid way instead of a few months. You'll only figure that out in your first interview and it will be far too late. Nobody in the history of time has ever finished SICP, it's the ultimate piece of shit book where you re-read the first couple chapters, forget about it, and repeat the process next year.

shut the fuck up, nigger

What universities are preaching SICP? And where are you getting 4 years from?
You don't need to go to a university to get the lectures or the book, they're free and online. And it should not take you 4 years to complete.

>Nobody in the history of time has ever finished SICP, it's the ultimate piece of shit book where you re-read the first couple chapters, forget about it, and repeat the process next year.
Sounds like a personal anecdote and nothing more.

I'm rich because I use modern languages and make apps that work instead of jerking off in C and Lisp making hello world "pointer art" and you aren't, so is every other loser SICP NPC

They have a JavaScript edition out now

Literally all of them, if it wasn't for them then this book would have died 25 years ago. This piece of shit book is repeated as the meme that it is because they are all trying to make money scamming newbies who don't know any better. You see bootcamps turning out $100K+ a year people in 6 months, meanwhile every piece of shit university teaches you the wrong way your first 2-3 years. That's why you see this book repeated, it's the easiest way to run a scam college and make tons of money, otherwise it would be long long dead

I think you're talking out of your ass.

Is this one better? Those are the ones I see being forced on Any Forums

Attached: C.jpg (480x639, 31.52K)

So is every SICP nigger cause you don't need to know math or algorithms anymore cause we got frameworks. If you don't accept this you are rightly excluded from the hiring pool.

That teaches you C. There's a difference between learning a programming language and learning to program. You should probably look for a course.

Looks like someone forgot their meds.

No, that one is also outdated and old as fuck. C and Lisp are toy languages that you can't do anything serious with without immense massive teams. You don't need a faggot book to learn programming because modern langs have frameworks where they do everything for you, and just work, and are free. That's why you don't see any books for modern langs, you don't need books, you just do a few tutorials and figure it out. Thinking that you need a book for programming is literally an antiquated 1970s paradigm that only exists today because universities want an easy way to scam students. Just force the curriculum to revolve around SICP and K&R and you quadruple your income.

Why do you want to learn to program? For a job? For enjoyment? You want to make gayms? You want to make a site?

Depending on your answer there are many usecases as to what you should learn and it will save you A LOT of time, trust me. If you want to learn to program learn by what you would like to do.

NPC with no argument.

There is no such thing as programming for enjoyment, this is called jerking off and being a loser. You're giving up the #1 highest paying job in the world for nothing.

Why do you want to argue? Also you're really confused.

Absolutely not. As a PSA to everyone here, stop recommending SICP! There's too much math and science for a book about computational science! The prose is too straight to the point and I needed to pay closer attention to what it's saying, that's so archaic! Plus, there weren't even any cute pictures to look at in this book. SICP is also incredibly sexist, it quotes old dead white people and instead of using words like engineers and developers, it uses "men" and "man-hours". Ugh, maybe it was good a hundred years ago, but today in the 21st century, it's completely unreadable and probably racist too since there weren't enough minorities.
lobste.rs/s/sp9khl/how_recommend_books_stop_recommending#c_zobn8p

For a job but also as a hobby. I like the idea of getting a high paycheck, but I also want to develop useless shit like game mods and stuff