Are BootCamps a waste of time and money?

Seems like the internet mostly thinks yes but I'm double-checking here before I sign 15k over to these people, are Boot-Camps a waste of time and money? This would be for Cyber-Security. I've been studying Cyber-Security for about a year.

Attached: 1632697697886.png (692x677, 537.68K)

Just give up

Shut the fuck up, nigger.

wow so fucking edgy

>bootcamps
trash

No. They're absolutely not worth it. You can learn all of that FASTER for FREE

I think so.

Every boot camp developer I've interacted with has been absolute garbage. They ultimately get let go or best case scenario end up pigeon holed doing shit grunt work real devs don't want to do. I.e support tickets or fixing frontend bugs etc.

Friend of mine got a 40k job straight out of a webdev boot camp with no college. I would make sure there is a clear causal link between completing the boot camp and getting desirable job offers. Make sure its vetted by a 3rd party. boot camps can definitely get you an industry job but that doesn't mean scams don't exist.

For cyber security, yes they're pointless. Currently at least, cyber security is considered a mid-level (at least) IT job. You'd be much better off getting a helpdesk job and climbing the ladder for a few years while grinding certs than doing a bootcamp where you get no real world experience.

Bootcamps for coding are IMO also a waste of money but I at least have heard of people who did coding bootcamps and got jobs afterwards. Did they need to spend 15k for what they got out of the bootcamp? Probably not, but it didn't hurt per se. But for cybersecurity I'd be shocked if you came out of a bootcamp with zero IT job experience and got a security role.

>real world
>computer based jobs
I mean if I can show projects on my resume and I know what I'm talking about, surely that will be enough right? I mean what do interviewers even ask besides
>Explain DHCP
>I ping an IP and it responds but the DNS is down what do?
etc

Depends, are you talking about an IT job or a cybersecurity job?

For a helpdesk or other entry level IT job yes that will be enough.

For security jobs, generally speaking no work experience will preclude you from hire unless you are a clearly passionate hobbyist. Even a SOC Analyst I job will ask for like 3 years of IT and/or InfoSec experience minimum (and the ad will say 5). You might be able to find a role at a small business but the thing with cybersecurity is that most SMBs don't have dedicated staff for it, so I've seen almost no small businesses with security staff - it's usually just a responsibility that falls on the IT guys. If you are truly L33t and do loads of HackTheBox and have passed the OSCP you might be able to get yourself into a pentesting/red team role with no previous experience but those jobs are usually much more competitive than blue team roles and I can tell you from personal experience that being a good pentester is very fucking hard. Nowadays a lot of ads are for web app pentesting which basically means also being developer-tier in terms of understanding and exploiting code.

Ugh but literally anyone could do blue team (which is what I'm interested in anyways)
you just run some scans and use SNORT and read some logs. Sounds chill as fuck. I thought about lying on my resume and just making up some firms I worked for but that might be awkward if they ask about some obscure server hardware or something. I thought maybe this boot-camp could help with placement because networking with the staff and such. But 15k is definitely something I can barely afford.

Lmao if the bootcampers was worth a shit they wouldn’t charge you money instead they would take recruiter fees on your first job out of their bootcamp that way they only get paid when you get paid. You’re an absolute idiot for even considering handing over 15k for a boot camp lmao I can’t stop laughing at you if you’re gonna drop 15k then you could take some actual college classes in computer science instead of being a scammed loser all your life

Bitch what have you ever done besides play video-games faggot

You’re begging Any Forums for excuses to drop 15 grand on shit you could learn in a weekend of reading blog posts because it’s easier to spend money than it is to just sit down and actually solve anything on your own. But if you never solve anything in your own then why would anyone ever hire you. You know this bootcamp is bullshit and likely scamming you out of your money but you still want to go just to keep the hope alive that just maybe there’s an easy way to seem valuable to employers, but you also know even if you finish the bootcamp (and if you’ve already paid then they don’t care if you finish or not) but you know you’re basically going to have to lie to employers about how (un)qualified you are and you also know deep done that employers are going to see through that bullshit because they didn’t become successful by hiring whiny losers. You could easily spend that 15k to take some local college courses in actual computer science but you don’t want to because it would require actual time and effort.

>anyone can do blue team

To some extent this is true but a lot of IT is administrative ability and communication. Just being able to use blue team tools and understand what's going on doesn't necessarily mean that you'll work well in a team, or that you'll stay organized and up to date with documentation, or that you'll be able to defend your actions in the wake of a successful attack (which is of course critical to keeping your job). Literally being able to explain why you do what you do and have people understand and trust you is a skill that shockingly few IT people have.

That's a big part of why job experience is critical on a resume, because it demonstrates that you know how to operate within a system, follow rules, act like a normal person etc. I've worked with a lot of IT people and I can tell you a lot of them may be familiar with tech and know how things work but that's not the same as being able to do your job effectively.

Like I said, I'd just advise getting a helpdesk job for a year or two and then try applying. It'll still be hard to make the jump but not nearly as hard as having no job experience on your resume.

you need a degree to get a job
they’re just going to laugh at you if you say you’ve graduated from a boot camp

Very well worded. Part of being a good software engineer is being self sufficient. Bootcamps handhold you.

You fell for the college meme. Just because you needed a degree to wipe your ass doesn't mean I do
opinion discarded
bitch one of the authors of Kali I through IV goes to my Shinto Temple you ugly faggot

alright this thread is full of retards now thanks boys