Thoughts on Element?

Thoughts on Element?

Attached: element.png (512x512, 7.59K)

Underwhelming. It's ideas are mostly in the right place. But it should be directly competing for discords marketplace and they will never into that unless they focus on voice and video channels. Ideally high quality, low bandwidth/resource, and importantly mass scale voice and video.

It can compete with Discord, but it needs to:
>add custom emojis
>remove "seen"
That's all it needs to be a direct replacement for Discord when it comes to chatting.

>>remove "seen"
Why

Matrix itself supports an unlimited amount of custom emoji but i dunno why element doesn't. Btw, you can disable sending "seen" so others cant see when you have read their message and it can also be disabled on the entire server

Why disable seen though.

It's good, so far, I wish you could at least opt out of having "seen" messages between people (I know there's an option to not make it show up, but I mean to make the function completely disappear in direct messages), and to be able to appear as invisible.
Other than that, it's good. Video sharing and calls need to be better, but it'll get there eventually, I think. I've stopping using discord and have switched to matrix with element, and I haven't really been inconvenienced or anything.

Because it's a retarded Facebook feature that nobody needs. If I wanted to acknowledge what someone posted to me I would reply, I don't need the botnet to do it for me. It's easier to see something than to respond to something and I can't respond to everything at every time, especially if I'm working, but I would see what's posted and reply later. But with "seen" feature, it causes unnecessary anxiety in people
>Oh so he's looking at us but totally ghosting us
Alternatively, the feature would mark some tl;dr message I didn't even get to read as "seen" even though I'll only get a chance to read it properly in several hours let alone respond.

The "seen" feature is retarded and a detriment to communication and human relations.

I didn't know that.

>Because it's a retarded Facebook feature that nobody needs. If I wanted to acknowledge what someone posted to me I would reply, I don't need the botnet to do it for me. It's easier to see something than to respond to something and I can't respond to everything at every time, especially if I'm working, but I would see what's posted and reply later. But with "seen" feature, it causes unnecessary anxiety in people
>>Oh so he's looking at us but totally ghosting us
>Alternatively, the feature would mark some tl;dr message I didn't even get to read as "seen" even though I'll only get a chance to read it properly in several hours let alone respond.
>The "seen" feature is retarded and a detriment to communication and human relations.
I completely disagree. I like knowing when people have read my messages.

Bloat-electron-ware.

should switch to tauri instead of electron

As sad as it is it will probably never get anywhere because they suffer from Valve syndrome and have no focus or leadership.

>I like knowing when people have READ my messages.
Well, that's the thing. They have not read them, they've only seen your messages. You think they've read them but they may have just opened their phone and are not in a position where they can read or think or reply to what you wrote, but the messages are still marked as "seen". This creates a false sense of availability of the person when in fact the person is not available at all, and if the person says "sorry not now" you feel a sense of betrayal and feel dismissed.

It's very easy to see something and can be done at any moment, but replying to something usually takes time and can only be done at specified time. But as soon as someone sees your message you form a false expectation that they should also be able to reply to your message when usually that's not the case.

>They have not read them, they've only seen your messages. You think they've read them but they may have just opened their phone and are not in a position where they can read or think or reply to what you wrote, but the messages are still marked as "seen".
This only happens if you open the app and specifically open their DM
t. Element user
What is the excuse now

looks gay lmao
im sticking to pen and paper and stamps

bloated metadata farm

prove it

Just don't use matrix.org and run your own server if you care about privacy.
I run synapse on my private server to message family members.

>remove "seen"
No. I love that feature.
>add custom emojis
Zoom zoom

People do understand that you might not be able to reply immediately.
Discord has rotted your brain, you should slow down. The more real-time the discussion the worse it is.

Well, still better than any freetard alternatives.
What I like alot about element is just how easy it is to get people to sign up. Bar to entry is LOWER than in discord!

At least we can use third party clients, element is taking all the right decisions for wide adoption though. It's a necessary evil as I see it.

gomuks is a better client, although it can't do voice calls and has its own problems. When I first switched to from discord to matrix with some of my friends, we tried every single matrix client listed on their website, and the only ones in a usable state were element and gomuks. I went with gomuks because muh terminal based, however I think element with all its problems is a net good, because when trying to convince your normie friends to move over from spyware, it's good to give them something they're used to (bloated electron applications). Still I recomend gomuks over element if you're not using voice chat.

Anyone use the matrix client fluffychat?