Is AR really going to replace phones in the next 10 years?

Is AR really going to replace phones in the next 10 years?

Attached: 55326BB1-8078-4311-B46F-0DF6DEC4710A.jpg (1125x1952, 900.51K)

No. AR has incredibly poor accessibility.

Phones also had poor accessibility until the infrastructure was built, and it was built rather quickly.

If they can make it small and light enough I can see it happening.

Probably not, but maybe something cool will come from the attempt

Holy shit, imagine people walking around with something like strapped to their head all day. I would die of laughter.

>Holy shit, imagine people walking around staring down at their phone all day. I would die of laughter.

No, for pretty simple reasons. No one wants to look like a retard with the stupid thing strapped to their head. It's one of the reasons Google glass never saw further iterations. The format is conceptually off-putting. With apple bandwagons, enough people might use it to see it get a couple other versions but it won't continue to a point where it replaces a smartphone.

Yeah, staring at something is the same as strapping it to your head.

Attached: 1633139157220.jpg (386x384, 24.15K)

just a matter of fashion, user

>I would die of laughter.
You'd be the outlier. Normie consoomers will get used to anything what the corporations shill to them as the right thing.

Attached: Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 11.54.05 PM.jpg (1189x784, 224.56K)

>You'd be the outlier
And that's bad because?

Absolutely. VR is the future, and AR is just better VR. It's already comfortable enough to wear a headset for a few hours even though it looks stupid, but there was a time when taking out a computing device in public was fucking retarded too.
Eventually we'll all be in something like VRChat 24/7, and you'll be able to have virtual representations of your friends come and go into your real space at will. Like, your headset will have used LIDAR and photogrammetry to scan your surroundings and create a 3D version of it, and a visitor will see that in VR and be able to navigate around, which you'll see in AR.

yes

I've never once tried VR that didn't make me want to puke after a few minutes. Also VR is completely inaccessible for people who are nearsighted. As far as I know you can't order a headset with prescription lenses.

Most people get motion sickness at first. Your brain adjusts if it's young enough, but that's unfortunate. Some people never adjust, but most do.
You can get prescription lenses for most popular headsets. They're only $80 for the Quest 2. You can get them on the Index as well. Problem solved

Most people get some amount* of motion sickness at first. I barely had any, but felt a bit weird if I played for more than 30 minutes at first. Now I can do 6 hours, and it's not feeling weird that stops me, just the face plate being annoying or I want to do something else.

>you will eat the onions

Attached: 6546545436534.jpg (1014x570, 62.45K)

>Your brain adjusts
You can't just cure motion sickness. If you have it you're always going to get it in situations where your vision doesn't match with the motion your brain is perceiving. I guess there are pills for motion sickness, but why would I want to subject myself to drugs for something that's completely unnecessary.

For prescription lenses, the only thing I've seen is some aftermarket products you have to buy from someone else. I'm not going to pay an extra $80 for some 3rd party to sell me replacement lenses when the product should have the option to come with it. Something like 40% of the population is nearsighted, so valve and oculus are just completely excluding them from the market by not allowing you to buy the thing with prescription lenses to begin with. It's like if someone made a car that doesn't have adjustable seats.

What better to spy on everyone if tyre wearing a camera on your head 24/7?
Maybe iGlass will succeed because their install base is dumber

The reason motion sickness in VR happens for most people is because your inner ear doesn't sense something that your eyes are perceiving. I.e., your character turns but your body physically doesn't.
What changes over time is that your brain comes to expect the virtual motion it's about to perceive, and you really do get used to it.
I know this is the mechanism of action for me, because I get 0 motion sickness issues when playing normally, but if I enter a totally new movement circumstance that I'm not expecting, I'll feel the sensory incongruity again. If I then do it a few times my brain adjusts and it becomes another situation where I don't feel uneasy. Examples are someone grabbing my character in VRChat or sitting in a moving chair, a roller coaster world, or the first times I would do playspace walking.
>For prescription lenses, the only thing I've seen is some aftermarket products you have to buy from someone else.
1. That's a ridiculous requirement. Do you buy your computer mice from Microsoft or your gaming chair from Dell?
2. The Quest 2 lenses are from Oculus.com, so it meets your standard

Phones + AR works better and is the way to transition to AR goggles
I don't know why they keep trying to push half baked solutions instead of perfecting it using the resources they have now

>You can't just cure motion sickness
You can adapt to the point that VR does not cause motion sickness anymore. I've done it. Smooth locomotion caused me to feel sick if I did it for too long the first couple of weeks, now it doesn't.
>Something like 40% of the population is nearsighted, so valve and oculus are just completely excluding them from the market
If you use contact lenses, you're fine. If you don't use contacts and don't want to switch, you can buy the prescription inserts (they're not replacement lenses, they sit over the existing lenses). It's really not a big deal.

motion sickness in VR is caused by one problem and one problem only: latency. Decrease frametimes, display latency, and connection latency and motion sickness goes away for 99% of people.

Also, I have prescription lenses for my Quest 2 that cost only like $100 and they work perfectly fine. I actually got a second pair of "VR glasses" that will also work underneath Sky goggles so it's not even a waste when I upgrade my headset. Future VR headsets will have varifocal lenses that will be able to compensate for near-sightedness anyway.