Are tiling window managers a meme, or actually useful? For me they look like complicating a simple thing

Are tiling window managers a meme, or actually useful? For me they look like complicating a simple thing.

Attached: herbstluftwm-manual-tiling-window-manager-for-linux.png (942x682, 51.95K)

if you like the workflow, use one
if you don't like the workflow, don't use one
they're as useful as you want them to be, just like anything else

Great for getting work done, not so much for casual use. Horrible for gaming.

Sane and tempered answer to the question
Logical and practical
Not even shit posting
Thank you sir but don't you feel a bit lost on this board?

what work do you do

objectively a meme

intense professional ricing

Attached: 1639814810769.png (844x792, 94.86K)

>complicating a simple thing
less complicated than it looks
nice to not always need a mouse

/thread

it's just ricing and
>MUH MINIMALISM

Depending on the kind of work and your personal style, not having to use the mouse can be great
Especially useful on laptops when you can almost completely avoid the trackpad/-point
If that sounds nice to you, go for it; if not, don't

> install i3 on a pc
> work on a laptop
> laptop broke
> have to work on pc
> laptop fixed
> how could I use this garbage
> install i3 on laptop

Never really riced anything except for maybe a terminal as urxvt is unusable by default

Attached: photo_2021-07-07_19-25-10.jpg (1280x978, 184.39K)

i used bspwm in the past and currently use dwm, it is useful if you tend to have multiple windows at once on your screen. you switch workspaces instead of minimizing windows. it is pretty good but yes screen sharing is a pain. i have gamed on it, not that horrible desu.

They're useful for laptops where every pixel matters.

If you played Starcraft you will probably like tiling window managers. Same with Vim I think.

>Never really riced anything
Same, I've been using Awesome since 2015 and beyond downloading a .Xresources and a vim colorscheme I did no ricing until a few months ago. The idea that you have to rice tiling WMs is an absolute meme, at least with Awesome.

they are great for a chage, used i3 for 2-3 years, but got sick of it and switched to GNOME

>switched to GNOME
BASED

More or less in the same boat, installed regolith on my second laptop. Seems to be a good compromise between the wm keyboard experience and having an easy to use setup.

I used xfce for a long time and had keybound workspace switching so I didn't have to minimize bullshit. Workstations work better on i3 with more tabs.

When I used xfce, it was a bit annoying to get two windows side by side. I3 does it automatically.
I could maybe edit xfce more to work like I wanted to, but i3 can be configured much faster.
An ideal WM would probably be a mixture of XFCE and i3.

They can be useful especially if you're working with text, which is what programmers do so they are shilling them frequently.
The two column setup where you write on the left in a wider column and have a narrower column on the right for terminal and other utilities split into two windows is probably one of the best setups. Something like this

| | |
|________________|____________|

used GNOME for year or two and now I'm back to where I started - Xfce

>Are tiling window managers a meme, or actually useful?
Computer, how many times has this exact sentence been uttered on Any Forums?

>For me they look like complicating a simple thing
they're much simpler than stacking window managers
minimizing and stacking windows on top of each other is pure cancer
i like that dwm doesn't obsfucate what windows i have open

Two times (since 2010).

Attached: 1630556631217.png (843x356, 76.83K)