/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Read the sticky: >GNU/Linux questions >Windows questions >PC building? >Programming questions >Good, cheap laptops >Cheap electronics >Server questions >Buying headphones How to find/activate any version of Windows?
rentry.org/installwindows

Previous Thread:

Attached: tech-support-plan.jpg (800x587, 310.17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Multi-Stream_Transport_(MST)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>1) Say I buy a 4K TV and then plug it by HDMI to my computer that has a poor integrated graphics, does this mean it will not run the 4K content I have downloaded in my computer?
This TV isn't a factor in this equation, if it the GPU can play 4K content it could have done it the whole time, generally iGPUS can decode at 4K because 4K video is a lot easier than rending a game at 4K, also they have decoders that can help accelerate this process depending on the video format
>2) What if I connect the TV to my NAS server to stream the movies in 4K. The TV can run 4K perfectly by itself?
It should yes, assuming the video is in the same format that the TV can decode
>3) Is it better to connect my TV in HDMI as second monitor or having it connected by ethernet to a home server? Or both are the same
If your TV is connected via Ethernet, it has the decode the video, if it is connected via HDMI, the computer will decode the video and just send it the data to display
>4) If I want to have 3 monitors + 1 TV by HDMI I should buy a high end GPU with 4 HDMI ports ?
Not necessarily, the GPU specs page on Nvidia/Intel/AMD's website will tell you how many simultaneous screens it can handle at once, if you're going to do 4 screens though you may want to consider DisplayPort, if your monitors have DP as they have MST
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Multi-Stream_Transport_(MST)

Computers can have multiple windows installations right?
Just to explain my situation, I have a new computer being built by a friend and it will have a 500 gig ssd as a boot drive where all the important shit for startup is. I have another ssd in my current computer which also has a boot drive on it. My question is should I go through my current ssd and find all the things I want to keep and then delete everything else before putting it in my new computer or should I just keep windows installed on it after transferring some basic shit like the appdata folders and some things like game saves then reformat said SSD.

How does a device detect a stylus when it's near its screen but not touching it?

Just put it in the new computer, it's fine.

I specifically just want a boot drive that's 500 gigs. I'm bad at organizing shit and it should help having a drive for all the most important shit only

>Computers can have multiple windows installations right?
>Just to explain my situation, I have a new computer being built by a friend and it will have a 500 gig ssd as a boot drive where all the important shit for startup is. I have another ssd in my current computer which also has a boot drive on it.
Both can be installed simultaneously, when you first turn on the PC it shows a splash screen logo of your motherboard manufacturer, at this point you hit one of F8, F9, or F12 (depending on the motherboard) to enter a boot menu, then from there you can select which drive to boot from

> or should I just keep windows installed on it after transferring some basic shit like the appdata folders and some things like game saves then reformat said SSD.
I would go with this option, however specifically not the entire appdata folder, just specific config for programs you installed, as Microsoft stores data in here too and it may break something

Ty user.

It measures other forces than the strong interaction, obviously.

You already have it, what's the problem? Put it in a new computer, set it up as a boot drive.

I want the windows installation specifically on the 500 gigabyte ssd. My current PC has it on a 1TB SSD

I didn’t know 4k games and 4k video were different. In fact I had thought about buying a 1440p or 4K monitor for games but then read it requires way more hardware to run the games at that resolution so I’ll stay on 24 1080p

The monitors I want to buy have 2 hdmi and VGA only. How do you connect 3 monitors + 1 TV to a GPU that has two hdmi ports? Is it adviced or will it slower games?

It is because a video is just 24 4K pictures or "frames" per second, a game is 60 4K frames per second + information about everything in the scene, so it keeps 3D models as well as their texture and color information, lighting data, and information about, it has to be able to instantly draw that house behind you in less than a fraction of a second just on the chance that you might turn around instantly.

>The monitors I want to buy have 2 hdmi and VGA only.
Admittedly my familiarity with this is based on old GPUs (R9 270x era), I am a single screen set up right now, basically with 3 and 4 monitors is sometimes GPUs are only designed to use certain ports mutually exclusively, so you might see something like [pic related] only to find out you cant use both DVI while using HDMI and DisplayPort, I don't know about this GPU specifically it is just an example of the gotcha's I would run into. I just wanted to warn you to check specs online before buying anything.

> How do you connect 3 monitors + 1 TV to a GPU that has two hdmi ports?
You don't, if you buy an HDMI splitter you can only duplicate the display on two screens not extend it and have two separate displays off port, that is what MST does.
>Is it adviced or will it slower games?
It will typically have less than a 1% effect on game performance, that is negligible.

Attached: GTX770CloseAngleConnectors1200_5F00_0058F825.jpg (1200x920, 193.39K)

> information about
information about about geometry, position and physics*
> basically with 3 and 4 monitors is sometimes GPUs
4 monitors the problem is sometimes*
> two separate displays off port
off one port*

I should have proofread that

Is there a successor to Webm for Retards?

learning ffmpeg

Current limits for WebM files on Any Forums are:

Maximum file size is 3072KB, 4096KB for /gif/ and 6144KB for /wsg/.
Maximum duration is 300 seconds (5 minutes).
Maximum resolution is 2048x2048 pixels.
No audio streams (use -an) except on /gif/ and /wsg/, Vorbis audio codec (use -c:a libvorbis)
Only VP8 is supported, no VP9.

To keep it simple I always suggest

ffmpeg -i (input video) -an -c:v libvpx -b:v (24,576 / video length in seconds)K (output video name).webm

When I connect my laptop to my Samsung tv (ue55nu7500), even after setting it to extended display I still can’t enable hdr nor set it to 60hz. Am I doing something wrong or?

but webm for retards had a nice interface to trim the video and other stuff :(

I have never used it, I use a whole ass video editor, Shotcut, if I need to do frame perfect trims and slices, as well as overlays.

If you reached the limits of that program though it sounds like you're ready for the CLI

Does J have any purpose outside of code golfing?

Thanks, but that's the one thing I do all the time with the major diagnostics, and there's only one reallocated on an old hitachi drive from 2009, and it hasn't increased in 8 years, not even yesterday. The ironwolf pro and the wd red are perfect, so is the 860 evo.
That's what worries me the most, no errors on the new main drives but the event log did have some on controller yesterday, I ran all the smart tests, again nothing. The OS is on the ssd.