Alright Any Forums, I'm looking for a stable and reliable just werks distro and I'm choosing between Debian...

alright Any Forums, I'm looking for a stable and reliable just werks distro and I'm choosing between Debian, Devuan and Slackware
how is Devuan? Are the repos same as the Debian repos?
also Slackware or Debian?

Attached: Debian_logo.png (300x395, 24.66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ filebug
chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/
us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
twitter.com/AnonBabble

devuan is meme

Just use *buntu holy shit
Debian is too stable and meant for servers
With *buntu you get newer drivers and kernels over time if you want them
Debian 11 couldn't have picked a worse KDE version to support
Debian unstable has missing packages for some retarded reason

I'd use ubuntu mate if snaps weren't forced

Debian is great. I installed it minimal tho so idk how the default desktop experience is

install arch.

# omit this if no snaps installed by default
while read snap; do sudo snap remove $snap; done <

And then if you install certain packages, you get snap installed as well. Very cool. Thank you Canonical.

which ones?
I've never had that happen after adding the snapd purge to the scripts I run on a new install

Pure cope. All versions of KDE are pure shit.

The only snap on the MATE version is the welcome app, which can easily be removed. If you want firefox as not-snap on 21.10, you'll have to download it yourself from either the firefox website or a ppa. But you're considering Debian, which doesn't even have a decent version of firefox(-esr) in stable.

Chromium for now. I imagine it will be more in the future.

All I know is NOT to install one of the "live" desktop editions of Debian. It causes apt to do some amazingly retarded shit with how it flags the packages during the initial installation.

I don't think you run into the same issue if you just do the minimal ISO and then select the DE you want during the installation process.

Also note to anyone new to Debian, during the install process if you tell it to install a graphic environment but don't specify a DE option, it will install Gnome by default. Even if you don't tick the "Gnome" box, if you click the graphic environment option it will act as if you did.

I wish that option just installed xserver/xorg and basic requirements like that, but if that's what you're after you'll need to do it yourself after initial install.

I've been using Kubuntu for the last couple of months and after purging snapd I haven't seen any other snapd packages or anything like that.

Though I completely agree the way Canonical has handled this is concerning and obnoxious, just like the shit they did years ago with Amazon.

Not sure if the standard Gnome edition of Ubuntu handles snaps differently than Kubuntu, if anyone actually knows something about that I'd be interested to hear.

>rolling release garbage
no thanks

Me again.

I checked and this guy is 100% correct, so seems Kubuntu is mostly in the same boat. This some bullshit. Sage because I'm posting too much.

apt show chromium-browser

Package: chromium-browser
Version: 1:85.0.4183.83-0ubuntu2
Priority: optional
Section: universe/web
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers
Bugs: bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ filebug
Installed-Size: 164 kB
Provides: gnome-www-browser, www-browser, x-www-browser
Pre-Depends: debconf, snapd
Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0
Homepage: chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/
Download-Size: 48.4 kB
APT-Sources: us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish/universe amd64 Packages
Description: Transitional package - chromium-browser -> chromium snap
This is a transitional dummy package. It can safely be removed.
chromium-browser is now replaced by the chromium snap.

Install Debian + XFCE, it's most based combo you can have

Mint with either XFCE or Cinnamon would honestly be a contender as well.

They actively discourage snap usage, and historically seem to try to distance themselves from stupid shit like this as well. Seems like they're gradually attempting to distance themselves from Ubuntu as well, relying more just on Debian core.

"distro of a distro" memes aside, Mint is honestly really fucking good.

I just wish mint did an official KDE flavor.

Use mint then

Yes I know, I really wish they did as well. An official Mint KDE spin would likely be my endgame distro.

Of course you can always install Plasma afterwards, but I really don't like doing that for a few reasons. I don't want to install a DE during the OS installation knowing I'm just going to replace it.

Kubuntu is nice but snap shit is annoying, and Canonical doing Microsoft-like behavior is a huge turnoff. I'll probably try Debian+KDE sometime soon.