I miss him, bros

i miss him, bros.

Attached: 100_8770.jpg (2097x1875, 630.7K)

High-RPM HDDs became obsolete once flash media became cheap and dense enough. High-RPM HDD raison d'etat (faster random seek time) simply disappeared.

Spinning rust is trash

I don’t

Still nothing better than him for anything but system/gaming dedicated drive.

Modern SSD media make high-RPM HDDs completely obsolete.
SSD media is denser, often cheaper and much faster than high-RPM HDDs. High-RPMs have to make trades for higher RPMs (smaller, lower density. platters and can only drive one to two at most)

>often cheaper
how much is 16tb ssd vs enterprise 16tb hdd?

I had to move my install to HDD cause ssd was getting unbearably slow but shows no other signs of dying

Attached: 1641655819466.png (1080x1071, 2.02M)

TRANS
LIVES
MATTER

I dont faggot, cope

Sorry, I only care about train lives.

fumo

If you want to talk about missing something HDD-related you certainly posted the wrong photo

Attached: 1620692712530.png (225x225, 11.05K)

>Enterprise 16tb hdd?
Sweatly, 16TB enterprise HDDs are 5400RPM/7200RPM SKUs designed for archival/bulk data usage. All of the fast access speed stuff has been taken over by solid-state media.
There's a reason why haven't been any new 10K-15K HDD made in the last five or so year. They make no economical sense anymore.

Why did they never exceed 7200 rpm?

They did; you can get 10k and 15k RPM drives.

10K-15K RPM HDDs were a thing. The main reason why mainstream HDDs 7200/5400RPM is because of simple physics. They use larger, denser platters that can only tolerate so many RPM before they shatter from the sheer momentum and/or it becomes too difficult for headers to accurately read the sectors on the HDDs. HDDs are very fascinating pieces of mechanical engineering. It is absolutely amazing that we are able to engineer units that can accurately read/write bits that are in the micrometers range despite the platters running at 5400RPM/7200RPM.

WHZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
btw what's the point if latency is still shit?

Fun fact: A short stroked hard drive is still faster in real world use compared to SSDs chucked in low end laptops/prebuilts because penny pinching drives these companies to purchase DRAM-less SSD with super dogshit chinky single core CPU controllers that stutter and lag like crazy especially as the drive fills up. In fact a significant portion of chromebooks don't even use an SSD, they use eMMC which is essentially a SoC version of a flash drive.

This. I have a raid of 4 10 year old ultrastars that has been running for nigh on 24x7 constantly the entire time and they just keep on trucking. I’ve long replaced the raid with something else, but at this point I want to see how long it takes them to fail.

I still have one of these in my server (curious story there). Over 35,000 hours logged, no signs of trouble yet.
Even more curiously, it's the longest-lived WD I've ever had.