>144 hertz
>144 FPS
>muh games
>Linux support
>Had a wayland i3 style desktop for it

2022 and i'm forgotten

Attached: index.jpg (1440x900, 105.39K)

i still want one but they don’t ship to my country
and every other option that does costs almost double at the very least(before taxes and shipping)

looking at mine over on the shelf user
too busy to get it all rigged up again
fun as fuck though

it is indeed bretty good

VR headsets are the technology of the future and they always will be.

It's gonna be 2050 and every normal will have something like a Google Glass and you retards will still be somehow claiming that VR is dead.

You can get it shipped 3rd party.

The Oculus Rift CV1 came out in 2016 you fucking retard.

too much hassle

- Doesn't ship to many countries.
- Rather low resolution for today's standards.
- Outside-in tracking which may be better for one play area but will not work at all elsewhere.

VR has the same problem now it did 20 years ago. It's really great for a couple of things and shitty at everything else. It's mostly just useful for simulating driving, flying, and other tasks where a human is sitting in a cockpit. It sucks for everything else.

FPS-like games need button controls for talking that break immersion. Trying to walk any distance with the thing on your head is dangerous because you can't see where you're going. Even if you had a large room to do it in you're going to get yourself tangled up in the wires. It gives a large percentage of the population nausea. The headsets are still heavy enough that they get bothersome to wear after awhile. The hardware to drive it is still expensive and hard to find for sale.

That's why every game is
>chat room with dress up
>driving/flying simulator
>fapping game where you interact with something while sitting down

If they marketed them as coomer devices and bundled onaholes they're sell millions of them. But everyone is retarded and wants to pretend that's not the purpose of owning one. The only other people that use them are people that already have thousands of dollars into a dedicated driving/flying battle station. Everyone else is on VRchat pretending to be anime girls but that isn't that many people.

Until we get holodecks IRL I'm not going to bother buying in. The novelty wears off too fast. I've been trying out VR headsets since the mid-90s and they haven't really improved that much. Only thing that got better was the graphics. The actual gameplay is still pretty shit.

oculus quest 2 sold more than xboxes
cope

Perfect is the enemy of good

>FPS-like games need button controls for talking that break immersion.
they don't need that though. You could implement speech recognition or even just gaze-based actions.
>Trying to walk any distance with the thing on your head is dangerous because you can't see where you're going. Even if you had a large room to do it in you're going to get yourself tangled up in the wires.
Completely false. The chaperone display should be sufficient to stop you running into stuff unless you're the kind of retard who runs into walls anyway. You'll never tangle yourself in the cables but they can become excessively twisted over time if you always turn the same way or whatever, but I have never had this problem. Still a wireless solution would be better in the long run.
>It gives a large percentage of the population nausea.
Yes including me, but I suspect that's mainly an issue with movement in game and not the headset itself. Beat Saber is comfortable for long sessions but 10 minutes of Skyrim has me sweating and ready to puke. If I wasn't too heavy for commercial omnitreadmills I'd try one of those out because I think that would recouple the perception of motion with actual locomotion and should reduce that a great deal.
>The headsets are still heavy enough that they get bothersome to wear after awhile.
Not really. Heat a bigger problem than weight.
>The hardware to drive it is still expensive and hard to find for sale.
not as hard as you expect but expensive yes. Not much more expensive than any other higher end gaming experience though. You can run an Index on a GTX 970 with no trouble.

Nobody cares or even wants vr

who is normal and why does he like jewgle glass?

Forgotten? Its still the all around best VR kit around. Even if you're just talking about HMD's some others might talk about one feature or another that's better elsewhere, but the Index is still the overall way to go not to mention its bolstering open source, linux friendly stuff too instead of companies that are shitting on the very idea of "open" or "free/libre" like the Zucc-ulous.

The only thing is I really did expect there to be more first party development for hardware upgrades and extras. There is 3rd party stuff of varying quality, but it would have been nice if valve would have an official wireless module, eye-tracking module etc.

I don't understand why there isn't some sort of semi-mirrored visor you can wear with screens mounted downward-facing such that you can both see through the visor but also see the reflection of the screens superimposed. Something like Project North Star but without the unnecessarily complicated geometry of the design. Like a Google Cardboard version. I thought about prototyping something like this with an old phone but I don't know where to begin with the software side.

Also, why do additional trackers for Vive and stuff cost so much and why do they need to be powered? Why can't lighthouses key off a QR code or something else cheap and easy to bring that object into VR?

IDK if troll or haste to post?

3 more days until I get my quest 2

>wayland i3 style desktop for it
What did OP mean by this?

Don't do that to yourself, guy...
Oh..stealth marketing soo soon??

VR and AR are not the same thing. I can easily see AR becoming big. We already basically use a kind of proto-AR with the phones and laptops.

I'm a poorfag, options are limited. I'd have gotten an index if I could afford one. You can somewhat unzucc it as well.

OK, just, please, be conscious of the fact that they peddle short dopamine fix cycles disguised as apps or games.
It'll be interesting and funny at first, then they'll try to drag you deep and if you easily succumb to that, you are their for a long time and after that you'll be pissed AF...

I didn't had personally problem with that but I saw what it did to some of my friends and it's not an nice picture.

I wish you well and try to keep that balance.

what is it?

Filename

index.jpg?

Yes

There are software companies that should never try into hardware, this also applies on reverse.

I would get one, but two reasons why I won't
1. They don't ship to Australia
2. My RX480 isn't powerful enough