Is there any reason to learn how to use this shit other than to just show off to other Linux nerds?

Is there any reason to learn how to use this shit other than to just show off to other Linux nerds?

Attached: 87E705D5-D09D-49C6-8EC4-5362DC237170.png (224x225, 14.47K)

I'm not sure that you had any chance at impressing anyone that's technologically literate to begin with, phoneposter.

Yes if you work on servers all day

Are phones suddenly not technology? Don’t hate because you can’t afford an iPhone with your government supplemental income.

I love vi bindings, personally. It's like unlocking power user on your basic typing functionality. vi itself I only use on certain Linux servers that have no GUI and I've never used Vim, but many IDEs and other dev tools have extensions to support the bindings. I don't blame you if it's not for you, but I do encourage people who would otherwise not be interested in some ancient Linux editor but IS interested in new and interesting ways to do keyboard inputs on text to check it out.

Just learn its keybindings to interact with text. Everything else isn't necessary.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro and sometime this fall I'll be buying a five figure machine for hobby design work since I'm well off and retired.

You have work on Monday don't stay up too late tomorrow.

No. There's VS Code nowadays. But if you like pretty much the same thing but running from a pure terminal then I guess you can fiddle with it.

>other than to just show off
That was never a thing, in fact if anything people start to consider you a retard when the find out you use vim/neovim
For me, there are exactly 2 reason why I use it instead of VS Code, 1) it starts literally instantly, so I can open close projects whenever I want, 2) editing in vim is a lot faster because of normal mode that allows you to use powerful shortcuts and also macros for repetitive editing tasks
Reasons why not to use it are but not limited to: 1) you have to configure it and sometimes fix the config when something break after updates, 2) learning curve

Command mode is nice.
It lets you communicate with your editor and make it do complex operations that would be difficult to express in a modeless setting.

it's fast

did you know that vi is a link to vim, right?

fuck me im wrong two different editors. i remember in some distros vi was a link to vim. or maybe it was just a dream

Yes.

>open up terminal with keyboard shortcut
>go into any directory
>write something down
>exit out
>completely organized sets of notes everywhere

For most people, you really just need :q!, :wq, i, escape, v, y, p, dd, e, G, :set textwidth, :set nu, /, and hjkl (but you can also use arrow keys)

use micro

depends on distro

arch = no symlink
ubuntu = symlinked

Just because it's light-years beyond your comprehension doens't mean it's shit.

My job in a fintech company requires me to use Amazon Workspace if I want to work remote, I can SSH into it and work on tmux/vim with zero latency as opposed of stupid slow VNC on graphical remote desktop. I have my entire setup in vim, language server, powerline, nerdtree, etc etc.

>powerline, nerdtree
Bloat. Use Lualine and NvimTree instead.

There's a small learning curve but once you learn it, you never go back.
I put vim bindings on everything now, it's just better having every key on your keyboard be a shortcut.
Looking like 1337 haxor is just an added bonus.

Attached: 1582422681245.jpg (720x947, 191.49K)

no

it's umatched at text editing once you get past the initial learning curve
vim itself is nice to have for quick edits on shell/ssh but most ides worth using have a plugin for emulating it

Why wouldn’t I want to run vim on my iPhone? It has its’ uses

I learned it and I'm not a hobbyist NEET like 99% of Any Forums programmers. It's still top-tier for editing and navigating code. However, the efficiency it adds initially (the first 6mo- a year) is trivial unless you have the bindings (obscure ones, packages like quicksnipe etc) memorized. I have VSCode with Vim enabled and use Emacs for personal stuff also with Vim binds

It's sweet that I can use the same binds on essentially all shells too

Attached: 266ED497-5752-47AA-BFB8-D7A29A22B661.jpg (1080x1349, 185.79K)

a vim keyboard for smartphones would be epic.

they already nailed productivity on touch keyboards back when vi was designed.

another great thing is if you are eating, vaping you can still edit with 1 hand.

nothing comes close

Shut the fuck up bitch ass nigga.

Attached: IMG_20220108_194657.jpg (1079x1147, 170.78K)

it’s very powerful when learn it

>in fact if anything people start to consider you a retard when the find out you use vim/neovim
hahahahahahahahaha

Attached: copecalling.png (406x596, 79.36K)

I use gvim as my default "notepad" program
it's useful when I want to quickly format some text mainly using sed or macros

Vim helped during my years as a NEET from falling into deep depression.

You could use Emacs and have infinite extensibility to make the editor actually usable or you could just learn a usable editor. That's Vim.

It actually has a nice workflow once you get used to it und the plugins make it incredibly flexible but showing off to normies by using the terminal for everything is also a plus

I can't speak to it's efficacy but it's funny how I got into it. I had the exact same attitude as you OP, I started casually using it when solving coding problems, so, for really small scripts. Couple months later I'm using it eveywhere and I can't let go, just feels awkward not using it, even if I'm not that fast with it.
Might happen to you, give it a shot

even if you don't use Vim/Neovim, it's worth learning Vim keybindings and using a plugin/extension for your IDE of choice to emulate the keybindings purely for the ergonomic benefits

i don't personally use n/vim, but i've used a number of IDEs/text editors in various jobs over the past few years and using the Vim emulation settings/extensions/plugins for each of them has been a great experience because I don't have to learn whatever particular keybindings and shortcuts of the particular IDE, I can just use the Vim keybindings i've learned via muscle-memory and away i go

>It's sweet that I can use the same binds on essentially all shells too
What shell do you use?

At this point it's universally agreed by anyone who gets paid anything that vscode is second to none.

sounding like a true self-taugh webdev zoom zoom

It's fun. Improves your speed a bit. And most good IDEs have some form of vim emulation.

>vi bindings are useful to know because they're so widely used by other software
>vim/vi is installed on most every server you might work on remotely
>text editing is a lot nicer without the mouse
Pretty much it. I use emacs in evil mode for the vi bindings. I have vi bindings in my web browser. Lots of other applications I use have vi bindings.

Keyboard + trackball is the meta. I can't go back to using a mouse.