/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Note: This general is hijacked often, fake troll threads link to gnu.org rantings or shill random software, report and ignore them.
Use the feedback form: 4channel.org/feedback

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions.
Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips & tricks that enhance your life with Windows.

Remember: Notice the friendly - please be civil when possible.

>Paste
rentry.org/fwt

>Installing Windows for retards:
rentry.org/windows_for_retards

FAQ:
>Which version should I get?
>Where can I get the ISOs?
>How do I activate?
>Can I change editions after install?
>Where do I get Office?
read the paste: rentry.org/fwt

>How do I debloat/debotnet Windows 10 or 11?
Offline (pre-install): rentry.org/mdl-optimize-guide
Online (live install): privatezilla / thisiswin11 (and dont mindlessly tick everything)
Don't mix offline & online tools with each other.

>Is Optimize-Offline worth it?
No.

>Can you get the Ryzen scheduler on LTSC 2021?
Yes.

>Can I upgrade to LTSC 2021?
Only from previous LTSC builds w/o doing the upgrade matrix hack in rentry paste.

>LTSC or LTSC IoT?
Same thing just different licensing and support.
LTSC for corporate PCs/devices with 5 years support (KMS only).
LTSC IoT for consumer devices with 10 years support (HWID only).

>Do I even need LTSC?
All versions of W10 are essentially LTSC now getting mostly security updates as development of new features has shifted focus to W11.

>I already run Windows 7, but don't want to clean install?
The non-LTSC installers can upgrade.

>Are homebrew ISOs safe (Gen2/Ameliorated)?
Not really, use only official Microsoft images.

/fwt/ spammer aka staxshill filter (4chanX): pastebin.com/F0Trfkfq

Previous thread:

Attached: 1643508612938.jpg (3087x2143, 1.19M)

I think windows 11 is just neat, you know?

How do I pirate Windows Server? Like the same or similar method as what you've documented for Win 10/11?

I want to create a big NAS using Windows Server, ReFS and Storage Spaces Direct to protect against BIT ROT!

Attached: 1642744782695.webm (540x540, 2.89M)

I have a VM with 2012 R2 and it activated with KMS_VL_ALL
I think newer server versions might just work as well.
but honestly, don't use Windows for a server

why are you posting Mumeis?
/fwt/ is for gwar guras only.

Attached: 1643243906463.jpg (1000x1000, 111.53K)

KMS_VL_ALL can even activate Win11, so I'm sure newer Server will work as well if old did.

night time owl edition
shark go to sleep

Attached: nanashi mumei.png (1044x1769, 1.96M)

I think server 2019 might work as it was based on win10, might try on a VM later

I've activated 2012 R2, 2016, 2019 and 2022 with KMS hacks, lately KMS_VL_ALL.

Lightest program for settings gif's as wallpapers?

you probably don't want to do that, the gif is going to look like shit unless you have it high resolution, and high resolution gifs are quite large as they are lossless.

Something that could set your background as a video with say Wallpaper Engine would probably be less ram than a large resolution gif and a slightly lighter weight program. Also I only know of WPE I haven't compared it with others

I have a Bitlocker'd drive that is failing (SSD ofc). It's in warranty period, so I'm going to get it replaced. If I just remove all key protectors for the drive, there's no way any data will be recoverable, correct?

>If I just remove all key protectors for the drive
??
just send the drive in, that's all. overwrite the first 32 MB to destroy the header for extra safety

Doesn't work like that, I'm afraid. Bitlocker key protectors are exactly that: key PROTECTORS. If you have no key protectors, the key (keys, actually: there's the Volume Master Key, which encrypts the Bitlocker metadata; and the Full Volume Encryption Key, which encrypts the file system) is stored unprotected (read: in cleartext) in the volume metadata.
What you want to do is nuke the Bitlocker metadata header for all Bitlocker-encrypted volumes - multiple times, ideally (being an SSD). I'm not aware of a tool that does this though - and because the metadata is actually stored in System Volume Information as ordinary files (with fvevol.sys blocking you from directly accessing them), 's suggestion isn't sure-fire.

Thanks anons. I'm akshually going zero-overwrite. But the results aren't looking great so far.

Attached: eventlog.png (558x472, 26.89K)

Zero-writing is far less successful on SSDs. Or overwriting in general.

I'm hoping the fact that the drive is Bitlocker'd will result in tons of not-zeroes actually hitting the disk: practically a PRNG overwrite. Not like I have a lot of other choices.

nakadashi sharkloli

Do you think AMD/Microsoft will address the fTPM stuttering?
Should I just by a discrete TPM module or just disable fTPM and rollback to windows 10?

This was posted from a Windows 8 tablet with 1gb of RAM

Attached: Untitled.png (1280x800, 944.97K)

So I just installed a new SSD and ran benchmarks yesterday, I got like 3500 mb/s read. I had to fill it up to transfer backup archives and storage stuff back and forth to external hdds. I ran a benchmark afterwards and got 2200 mb/s read, even after it got emptied again.

I read that it's a bad idea to fill up a ssd and it makes them slower, but shouldn't it go back to original speeds after getting emptied again? Or does it still consider it full somehow, if so then how to optimize it back to original speed?

Firstly, going back to 10 is the right thing to do! But I use Windows 11 on a few devices just for fun/ testing, and you can just disable all of these requirements and then your TPM in your BIOS and everything works fine for now.

i have an intel 7600k and rx480, since the 7600k seems to support hardware decoding better than the rx480 i am wondering if it;s possible to use it for that purpose whilst still keeping my rx480 in my pc

ive enabled multi gpu and set main graphics to dedicated in bios. installed integrated drivers and media sdk but it doesnt seem to work, not sure if it;s supposed to

I believe the old trick was, after drivers are installed and the iGPU is set to enabled in the BIOS, to plug a second monitor into the motherboard, then set them to mirrored and that would allow you to use Quick sync

i see, thanks user ill try that later on

i think gura is cringe

>Or does it still consider it full somehow, if so then how to optimize it back to original speed?
correct, it goes back after getting trimmed. windows does this every two weeks, but you can force a trim from the properties of the volume (in My PC)

i think gura is hot and i want to sex sex sex

Attached: 59d3cf43164f6957070767cea05a580b.png (2305x2542, 2.64M)

And I think you're not thinking at all, based on all the blood that's not in your brain.

can anyone help me figure out why my SSD is so slow? opening certain programs like photoshop and premiere takes a lot longer than it used to. loading tf2 is especially bad (loading the menu and loading maps are bad enough, but after connecting to a game it continually freezes for a couple minutes while it tries to load the models). even sorting folders is painfully slow. I'm on windows 10 and it's my system drive if that helps.

I'm surprised it's not more talked more, it's been widely reported since tpm became a requirement for windows 11 (like 6 months ago) and it is completely ignored by AMD and MS.

Is there an application that simplifies changing default apps on 11? This is retarded.

Last I checked (which was at least a decade ago), NirSoft had a pretty nifty file association management tool.

I'm trying to activate office HomeBusiness2021Retail with KMS_VL_ALL_r45 however it keeps giving me this error - any pointers?

Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling already.

Attached: cmd_zaGMSYmGYD.png (720x620, 14.07K)

I seem to recall Home and Business can't be KMS activated. You need Pro or ProPlus.

Gotch, thanks, will try pro plus.

On Windows 11 Enterprise, I have automatic updates disabled via group policy, but it still starts downloading and installing updates as soon as I press the button to check for them. Is there any way to make it so I can see which updates are available and choose which ones to install?

Also, I have the "no auto restart with logged in users" policy also set, but the text still says it will auto restart, will that actually happen or no?

Attached: file.png (750x310, 42.78K)

No go, proplus gives the same error. :(