I'm thinking about transitioning to mac

I'm thinking about transitioning to mac.
I'm tired of spending 4 hours repairing my entire system every month after an apt-get upgrade bricks my whole system.
What should I get? An Mac Mini or a Macbook? I'm dumpstering my entire Stinkpad setup.

Attached: 1621337206542.jpg (1135x1200, 503.04K)

Install Gentoo.

dont do this, it creates mustard gas

Get the macbook. I've got a mac mini and it doesn't really have any advantages over a macbook besides being a little cheaper

can confirm
my brother died that way

don't.

I switched to Mac after years of using Linux. The longer I use my Mac, however, the more times I experience OS X acting as broken as any other BSD out there.

I have to use a Mac to compile iOS applications for work and I fucking hate the bastard. Everything is shiney but nothing fucking works and shit glitches out and around all the time. Trying to do super user shit is always fucked. I fucking hate the little square bastard.

>I'm thinking about transitioning
stopped reading there
ywnbaw

This is freetard bait therefor I'm hijacking the thread since it's a somewhat similar topic
I want to get a mac because the hardware seems great and lasts a while, while also being very light, however, I would install GNU/linux on it the moment I got it, which macbook is the most compatible with GNU/linux?

Attached: 1642104406351.gif (800x1162, 781.51K)

>apple
>reliable hardware

you're talking about the same company that made a laptop shell by gluing two pieces of aluminium together, and then had the fans blowing hot air onto the glue until the thing literally fell apart. if you're looking for reliable, most companies aren't really good for it these days, but apple is the worst.

Go for MBA, it has almost everything the mini has, and can be used where-ever you want. Plus it's still pretty cheap with an uni discount, and you surely know at least one student.

your best bet are 2010 macbooks, which were basically just thinkpads inside but with a fancy coat of paint and marked up 50%

that eventually changed once retina macbooks became a thing, and the T2 chip destroyed most linux compatibility

>I would install GNU/linux on it the moment I got it
It's a seriously bad idea and kills like half of the benefits. Also AFAIK there is still no 100% support for M1, so you'd be stuck with Intel shitboxes.

If you're dead set on Loonix, just get XPS or something.

I'm thinking about transitioning to female.
I'm tired of spending 8 hours working hard every day every month and never getting a promotion because I'm a white male.
What should I get? A feminine penis or a gaping wound? I'm dumpstering my entire penile setup.

Attached: 946504a12cdf6eda4c488ccf5518c0ddfae9bc0b29d82d3302d68651bdeae5d9.png (1000x1446, 372.82K)

Be a brazilian tranny, not a political tranny.

I wasn't talking about the newer models. I wouldn't want to give any money to apple, of course (besides, I assume any macbook from the past 3 or 4 years don't work well with GNU/linux anyways). So I was just going to buy an older one.
I see. I thought macbooks from 5 or so years ago would still be able to work well with GNU/linux.
So is the XPS the best alternative to it, then?
I would love to be able to just get a thinkpad, but from what I know, the battery life on the actually good ones produced outside of china is pretty bad, and I think I'd like to have more than just 8gb of ram.

Attached: cc01faf040c231d6336dab1c95ccfb578f5d1508147287cb00878f3107c77d0a.jpg (450x311, 48.16K)

Apt is suicidal and randomly fucks your system use Arch never have had the same happen with pacmam

>I see. I thought macbooks from 5 or so years ago would still be able to work well with GNU/linux.
So did I, since my mind still thinks 5 years ago is 2010 ;_;
But the truth is that Linux compatibility on Macs past ~2014 are just bad. Macbooks lost a lot of their appeal to me when Linux support withered, and now that the latest ones can't even dual boot into Windows, it's just bad.

>I see. I thought macbooks from 5 or so years ago would still be able to work well with GNU/linux.
Even the T2 ones would be but since their prices go down much slower, you'd be paying srs bucks for old as fuck hardware. And the battery life on Linux sucks.

t. lincel that's never touched a mac or a woman

Avoid anything that came after 2016 and you will be fine.

I've touched both and didn't like either of them. But the Mac was worse.

>a homosexual who doesn't like macs
Let me guess, a Loonix pedo?

dont now about this
I do know that their designs, software, and commitment to busines usess declined almost immediately after Jobs dies of AIDS
they're basically now an iphone company that sells computers on the side

I like older men.

Unironically this. Gentoo is one of the most stable distros you can get.

Attached: 1636658675048.png (300x480, 149.86K)

Yes, get a Mac.
As far as your last question, OP, just ask yourself what you find more comfortable.
If you've got a nice, ergonomic chair, do you prefer sitting in it at a desk, or do you prefer being in a bed/couch?
If you find bed/couch more comfy then the choice is simple: M1 Macbook Air.
If you find desk more comfortable, or it helps you focus, or whatever: M1 Mini

why would you connect 2 headphones to each other

>lincel that's never touched a mac

Attached: スクリーンショット 2022-01-29 19.05.52.png (850x454, 291.46K)

I'm not doing anything with tooo long uptime but my Macs have been transcoding shit for a month without break now, just with 8gb RAM and zero issues.

You will never be Japanese.

cope

nice vm freechud

Average iToddler

(You) will not get my serial number. Nice try though.

Here's a fun experiment for you. Restart Finder, RAM usage will be below 30 MB or so. Now just start opening plenty of Finder windows and eventually close them all. Suddenly Finder is using at least 100 MB of RAM or so. The longer you keep your computer on (I mean days, not hours), the more RAM finder inevitably uses. I managed to hit 500 MB this way until I decided to restart Finder.

It's not only Finder that does this either. "WindowServer" on startup will use about 500 MB or so of RAM, but after opening enough programs, keeping them running for some hours, and closing most of them later, suddenly WindowServer needs to use at least 800 MB - 1 GB of RAM, and the number only steadily increases.

I have no idea what it is with Apple that nearly every software will slowly but surely collect garbage and keep it in RAM. For now I've been suspecting it has to do with automatic reference counting not being all what Apple sells it to be. Moreover, Darwin itself has relatively primitive allocation functions. So primitive, in fact, that ZFS on Mac requires a special memory allocation since what you'd normally use on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, or even Solaris, just doesn't exist on Mac.

Attached: スクリーンショット 2022-01-29 22.50.06.png (650x158, 90.42K)

>things that never happened

Use NixOS, fren.
Or use the Nix package manager atop Debian.
Nix is the final solution to package management problems.

Attached: nix.png (1024x1536, 2.01M)

Mac Mini has many advantages over the Macbook Air
>cheaper to replace the screen or pointing devices if they break because they are external
>no glued in battery that you have to worry about
>more ports
>active cooling so it doesn't throttle to 2/3 of its clock speed under load

I have a m1 Mac. Don't get the 8gb version, go 16. It's really fast. I like it but I need more. If all you do is video editing and web browsing and watching paid content, macs are fine little computers. I have a gaming PC and tend to gravitate to it. I use the Mac for iOS development. It's almost like using Linux. It's fine but not Windows. I need more out of my electronics. Arm ain't it.

kek

>transitioning to mac.

>transitioning
that's a man

Do not buy new Apple hardware. They stopped producing quality hardware over 15 years ago. You will not be able to fix the hardware yourself and if you take it to a "genius" they're just going to tell you it's broken and try to sell you the latest model. You are better off buying a good laptop or building a PC and picking hardware with good drivers on Linux/BSD.

Apple shit is annoying to use even if you stick with their OS and sign up for all their botnet. It will be constantly sending you codes to log-in to bullshit that requires more verification via cell phone. They assume every device you own will be within their eco-system. If you buy an Apple TV it expects you to have an iPhone to set it up with. iOS/OSX aren't even really that stable. The stability is a meme. It breaks constantly and Apple will break your old shit on purpose to encourage you to buy new hardware. They've been caught pushing updates to gimp old hardware/OS many times.

HRT will give you cancer and take 20 years off you life. If you get the gaping wound you'll have to service it four times a day for an hour each session. Feminine penis won't get hard anymore so it becomes impossible to fuck pussy/ass. Spend your money on pic related instead. It's cheaper, doesn't cause cancer, doesn't make you look like a monster, and you know you want to be an anime girl anyway. If you're going to scare children and decent people you might as well look your best.

Pic related will cost you about $1k and is reversible. If you ever decide to stop being an anime girl you can go back to your old life without any long term damage.

Attached: kigumask.jpg (1367x2048, 2.59M)

I’m interested. Can you give me some quick selling points on gentoo?

i had the 2016 macbook pro with the shitty butterfly keyboard. although i never had a problem with it, i brought it to the apple store in 2020 (four years after i purchased it) and they swapped out the keyboard (which also meant new battery and new ports) for free.

Ok champ let me stop you right there. You'll just be swapping your software woes for hardware ones. Just switch to Nix and you get the bleeding edge advantage from a rolling release distro with better security than any other OS. Any time something breaks you can simply roll back the package changes, fix it and try again.