For digital edition.

When asking for a recommendation, be sure to mention:
>whether you prefer closed or open back
>price
>location
>your current headphone
>what you're plugging it to
>your current AMP/DAC

Attached: 1363662723602.jpg (702x992, 111.83K)

FINALLY I HPG thread!
are these magnet things of any use on data lines? Using one on my computer->DAC USB line, does it even work?

Attached: fuck computers.jpg (3024x4032, 1.2M)

Thoughts on AKG 702?

Attached: akg.jpg (960x960, 118.63K)

Bass-light side of neutral. They're positively gorgeous headphones, but if you wanting something bass heavy to rock your socks off, they won't cut it for you.Imo they have a very neutral and accurate bass response, so definitely "enough" in that sense. However, they do have some roll-off in the low range, and they are far from bassy if that's your cup of tea

AKG 371 or BeyerDynamics DT 770 Pro?
Is it true that the vocal is shit on the beyer?

I got the Fosi Audio Q4 and it makes my MDR-7506 sound even better. Well worth the less than 40 bucks I spent on it.

congrats user!

Till now I've been using a Sennheiser Game One Headset, and I'm pretty happy with the sound quality and how easy it is on the head.
Since buying it I've also got a standalone microphone though, so a normal pair of headphones is heavily prefered, also to get rid of the GAYMER trash.

For the time being I had my eyes on the Beyrerdynamic DT880/DT770, maybe also the DT700/DT900 Pro X, but the price is a bit hefty.
If the headphones need it, I was thinking about maybe getting a FiiO K3 or Fiio E10K, since my options are a bit limited.

I'm open for any other recommendations and critique tho, my knowledge is rather limited on all of this.

Need a budget interface that can do the following:
>24-bit/192khz output
>XLR input
>48V Phantom Power
>can drive DT990s comfortably.
Best I can see is a Behringer UMC202HD

everything is shit on the beyer

no

pretty much everything can drive dt990

Thanks for answering everything else.
Also good luck running 250ohms out a laptop

my dt990 run just fine on a laptop, thanks

The pads on my Philips Fidelio X2 have worn out yet again. Bought Brainwavz replacement (Headphone Memory Foam Earpads - Round - Sheepskin), but there's no way I'm getting them on. Does anybody have first-hand experience with X2 replacement pads so I don't sink another 50 bucks into ones that work according to some random guy online?

is Sennheiser HD555 -> HD560S a worthwhile upgrade?

Attached: 1629480688659.jpg (800x952, 77.23K)

It can help filter specific types of interference if your DAC is USB-powered.

Looking for opinions on the new srh840a, anyone have it?

Attached: SRH840a.png (1298x1180, 577.81K)

Any DAC worth using will have enough isolation it doesn't matter.

You might have become convinced somewhere along the line that you need more.

But that was a lie.

Attached: 9346.jpg (2500x2500, 535.97K)

what are some good headphones/earbuds for working out?
>price
>current headphone
I lost my buds+
>what you're plugging it to
my phone
>amp/dac
n/a

Just got my K52s. These are endgame tier shit desu senpai. I mean not really, but they are good for the price. Like really what else at this price or even 2.5x this price is better?

Attached: K52_gigachad.jpg (800x1135, 56.07K)

what does /hpg/ think of the ananda?
would it be an upgrade to the hd600?

You should be asking...
Is it an upgrade to the K52?

Hifiman HE-X4 opinions? Drop has 15% off with a code.

avoid

Is a DAC just an external replacement for the classic PC soundcard?
Is there even still a purpose to them, or does everyone just got with a DAC instead?

yes
no

The audio community is filled with snake oil, and for 80% of the community dac is snake oil.

elaborate

Most motherboards have some pretty high impedance outputs which makes them.....less than ideal for a reasonable amount of headphones. If you are just using Beats then stick to onboard audio but better headphones are better served by the good entry level dacs and amps.

What's the difference between a DAC and an AMP then, or are they the same?
Asking cuz some headphones obviously have a high ohm, needing some sort of AMP or something. Right?

DAC = digital analog converter. Turns the 1's and 0's to magical sound waves. Amp is just that - an amplifier for making things LOUD.

Reviewers don't measure the audio quality of motherboards DACs and buyers don't choose motherboard based on that so their companies don't really need to do even basic stuff like isolation from the rest of the circuitry to sell, so there is a real chance that the motherboard sound is trash no matter the cost. External DACs companies have to at least try to sell their product to an audience that cares (even if they don't know what makes it good), so it has to be a little better in base measurements that most people use, but the difference from a cheaper decent one to an expensive one is usually beyond the human hearing ability to discern (and only expensive measurement rigs can hear it).

Everything matters.

99% of audio is not snake oil. Snake oil scams don't have money back guarantees.

That makes sense, sorry for the retardation. Guess I should be looking for AMP's then, not DACs.
Speaking of motherboard sound. Would it be weird for one to have good enough sound to support high ohm headphones?
Was curious, cuz I have a Z390 AORUS MASTER, but I don't trust any of the bullshit they mention on their website.
Would obviously be fun to avoid having to buy an AMP, but it's also not an issue if I had to.

akg k240 Studio or sennheiser hd 559?
It's like 5€ diference between them

Opinions on the Bose 700?

Attached: 51ntWa1Q0sL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg (169x300, 6.21K)

I used to own those sony MDRV6 headphones, and they gave me a good 13 years of use. I see they no longer make these, what is a good alternative? Preferably already with soft earpads so I don't need to buy the replacements on amazon again.
Also, are wireless headphones a meme, or is there a wireless protocol that can transfer data well enough now? Someone by now should have built something that works well wirelessly, maybe cache a large chunk of the stream on the headphones for playback?
150USD max, don't mind used for something expensive.
I don't have an AMP or DAC.

> maybe cache a large chunk of the stream on the headphones for playback?
Wouldn't that cause latency issues?

I guess you're right, it wouldn't work for live streams, music production, or anything that isn't in the vein of music on your harddrive/music player.

>Would it be weird for one to have good enough sound to support high ohm headphones?
No since there are motherboards with powerful amps, but also impedance is not the only factor involved in being hard to drive, a 120 ohms HD560S is easier to drive than a 25 ohms HE400se (since the former gets to 110db per Vrms while the latter 91db, the sensitivity parameter).

>since the former gets to 110db per Vrms while the latter 91db, the sensitivity parameter
Interesting, guess there is more to this than I expected. Thanks user!

I wonder, could I drive HE-400SEs on my Fosi Audio Q4 dac/amp? If so I might pick them up down the line.

I have MDR-7506s and love them. Probably gonna use them until they either wear out or I decide to go for something even nicer.

Just bought this user did I do good?

No

I'd also like to know, 109 and change for Planars sound like a good deal but if there's big issues with it then it kinda ruins it.

Yes they are great. You won't find anything better for the price

Is the build quality of the AKG K371 as bad as some people claim?

Yeah it's still fucking shite brought em a couple months back and had to send them back because the left hinge just fell off.
Save your dosh lad.

Nope

Much appreciated.

You got memed. Up to 200 beans is definitively iem country on build and sound quality. Headphones only start competing when material costs are no longer a massive squeeze. M50x sound is inoffensive and build is somewhat okay, but I would cancel or return if possible and get a set of iems.

>Closed or Open
So far I only had open ones, so I have no experience with closed.
>Price
150-250€
>Location
Europe
>Current Headphone
Sennheiser Game One
>Plugging Into
A PC
>Current AMP/DAC
None

While my last was a gamer headset, I was pretty happy with how extremely comfortable it was to wear, which resulted in me becoming a 24/7 headset user, when before I would only use it when talking to friends.

Does anyone have experience using both the FiiO BTR5 and BTR3K? How do they sound compared to eachother? If they sound identical I don't mind having no Oled screen as their features are very similar.

Inconsistent sealing on earpads leads to bass leakage for some listeners. Issue was fixed on K7XX and K712 but those are less accurate. Not a fan of these headphones. I think K612 is a lot better but it also has the bass leakage issue.
Beyer is V-shaped and vocals sound somewhat recessed.
HD560S, avoid the DAC/amp for now.
2i2 3rd gen?
Yes, it's the logical path.
TWS is great for working out, maybe something like Elite Active 75T? I don't have much experience with many brands as I just use the WF1000XM4s.
I think the HD600 has a better frequency response.
Can of worms discussion, I RMAA'd my mobo and it beats some cheap (100 dollar) USB DACs and it's what I use to power my headphones. Money is better spent on an amp for headphones that are difficult to power such as AKG K612 as an example.
High impedance does not necessarily mean that a headphone needs an amp, the HD650 is 300 ohms and it can be powered by smartphones to reasonable volume levels.
It's good for what it is, better tuned than the Sony competitor for sound quality.
DT770?
It feels cheap IMO.
What are you looking for? An open or closed headphone?

Only if you bought them in Lantern Glow.

Attached: ath-m50xmo_01_2.png (2000x2000, 645.28K)

what is the player in that pic? just fiction or something that actually exists?

>Money is better spent on an amp for headphones that are difficult to power
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up user.

>What are you looking for?
As said, I never had a closed headset, so I have no idea if I should switch to it for the hell of it or not.
Don't think it will get me much tho, since I don't plan on using it outside anyway, and I enjoy the fact that I can listen to someone well when having them on.

I'm seriously impressed by what the Fosi Audio Q4 did for my sound. I was honestly expecting to send it back but now I'm certain I'm keeping it.

sony pcm d50

>HD560S, avoid the DAC/amp for now.
Is there a point to adding a DAC/AMP with that headset at all? While the headset alone (160€) is fine by me, but I wanna make sure I get """the best i can get""" while I'm at it.

thanks m8

Hd600 gang member here. BROS HELP!!!! My focal utopia was having audible distortion right driver at bdlow 30 hz just 20 mins ago. I swapped the ear cup wires and was still there but actually got worse. Now even 150 hz audible distortion.. Swap back wires and slammed right cup onto carpeted floor. now distortion is gone somehow.. What going on???????
I have 4 years warranty left.

Attached: 20220129_230235.jpg (4032x1960, 3.29M)

by slam i mean i just like tapped it against carpeted floor gently.

do people really go out of their way wearing oversized auricular headsets?

why is Any Forums obsessed with them? do you guys have regular earbuds for work and commute?

obviously you don't spend all day on your desk or studio. do you?

Attached: signal-2022-01-29-210855_001.jpg (2048x1507, 252.33K)

oh wow so i started hearing it again and removed the pads so i can look at the driver membrane better. i saw quite a bit of dust and also a hair poking through the mesh. removed it and no audible distortion atm.

You already have an onboard DAC/amp. You don't need an external one if that's what you're wondering. The HD560S has a higher impedance but it's still a quite sensitive headphone and can be powered easily.
I was about to reply and tell you that it's usually caused by a hair.
Game One is pretty solid.

You know what, I'm just going to say it... I like the DT770's "bright" sound. It makes listening to old records more plesant.

Focal QA would embarrass most fly-by-night Chinese manufacturers. My friend has had to rma 3 times.

>I was about to reply and tell you that it's usually caused by a hair.
caught me by surprise. i thought it was the result of recently moving to a new place and it possibly taking a fall or two during transport lol.

>You already have an onboard DAC/amp
Just making sure that I'm not missing out on anything, especially since onboard sound might be too weak or some shit.

K612 Pro, HD60S, or DT880?
Cast your vote now!

Attached: 1642883785694.jpg (6790x4536, 2.27M)

hd600

Too expensive user. There is a reason why I only mentioned the 100-200 bracket.

hd6xx

Dt880 then

The Jury seems split, how troublesome...

Dumb question: Why is there 3 different versions of this one with different ohm?

The fucking hd600 gave me a bloody nose. After making sure utopia bass rattle was gone after pulling hair strand out of driver, i went to go listen to hd600. When pulling the hd600 band in front of my head i accidently pushed left earcup too farward and left go and it hit me in the left nostril. Wtf

Attached: 20220130_000410.jpg (4032x1960, 2M)

Attached: Bottas (Laughs).png (474x374, 301.33K)

because beyerdynamic is run by the tribes of israel

Thoughts on AKG K553 Mk 2? I think they're the best closed backs for $200 right now. After using them for a while and then switching to M50x the M50s sound basically like shit in comparison. Also much more comfortable

>Dumb question: Why is there 3 different versions of this one with different ohm?

pretty sure the higher ohm Beyers were made to allow more headroom with amps of varying output impedance. For example, my mobo has something like a 60-70 ohm output impedance so it'd change the frequency response (sound) of the 80-ohm and 250-ohm versions of the headphone. the 600 ohms version won't be affected. it is only recently (like within the past decade or so) that some headphone amps have below 1-ohm output impedance. You just have to make sure the source's output impedance is 1/8 or less of the headphone impedance. So 80-ohm headphones need a source with 10-ohm output impedance or less to not have any audible changes in response.

Not that user, but I own them, seemed interesting and I never owned a planar before and $130 is pretty cheap for planars.
Overall its honestly not that bad, the build is pretty good (actual has metal hinges/sliders)
Has decently wide soundstage, but also has a very bright sound profile and is not super detailed, maybe due to the high resonance hifiman headphones tend to have, but its not bad at all, for $130 its more than adequate imo.

Finally decided to get around to seeing my retarded ideas of driver swapping shit through
So which one of those seems the most terrible to you
>Bower wilkins PX7 drivers in a CAL!
>HD800 drivers in a V-Moda Crossfade M-100
>Denon AH-D9200 drivers in the cheapest shell I can find with 53mm drivers
>Mystery meat 'Onlkyo" biiodyna "10hz-80Khz' drivers in a Superlux HD 330
>"Wool" 50mm drivers in cheao open backs like the SHP-9500

i still like the hd600 but it made me a lil mad that it able to hurt me like that

what headphone is best for listening to kpop?

it doesn't do move at all but thank you =]

Sorry, my bad.

Attached: 694574000b76928a7104d65d66adadb1.gif (498x498, 1.19M)

Currently have a 58X and moondrop arias with a Fiio K3. Been debating if it was worth getting the budget schiit stack or would it be a better idea to get a new pair of headphones like the sundaras and getting a different amp & dac down the road.
Or just skip all of that because I just listen to a random assortment of music and h voiceworks anyways

raal sr1a

Any good headphone yet?

Very cool!

Move TH900 out of AMP category and maybe add a note about it lacking isolation. Otherwise, very good guide by /hpg/ standards.

Nevermind, guide user isn't here and must have given up by now.

D9200 driver. Get some pharmacy supplies, dynamat or whatever to adjust the tuning with some strategic dampening. It could turn out not-garbage. Always wanted to do this myself.

You fucked up hard.I have both m40x and 50x.40x is way better tuned, but both of them use shitty pleather on the headband and pads that flakes like a bitch.I just scraped mine off to reveal plain old gray cloth underneath.Mind you that one set was barely used but even in storage it just had to flakestorm.Akg k371/361 i havent had experience with but should be way better overall than both audio technicas.m50x is garbage by todays standards.

>If you are baiting you are doing great, keep it up