Why would anyone rather use a touchpad instead of mouse?

why would anyone rather use a touchpad instead of mouse?

Attached: 135689-laptops-review-apple-magic-trackpad-2-review-image1-Cx2ZSUrog9.jpg (1200x800, 116.58K)

in Maps on macOS, I can pinch to zoom and use two-fingers to pan or rotate
swiping up with three fingers shows Exposé
swiping down with three fingers shows Exposé only for the application you're currently using
swiping left and right changes virtual desktops
tapping (not clicking) with three fingers when the pointer is on a word brings up synonyms in the thesaurus
and of course, all of these can be configured

It's more comfy than using a mouse, especially for regular programming stuff. You move your hand/arm less, you can zoom precisely by pinching, scroll precisely with two fingers, no hitched scroll, can even move between tabs and desktops with gestures.

yeah, specially gays... doesn't seem like they are fond of fingering.

By placing a pinched hand down and moving the fingers out you can see your desktop to click and move a file as well.

macOS is better with a touchpad because of its heavy use of gestures. That being said my rankings would be trackball>trackpad>touchscreen>trackpoint>mouse

touch gestures. wintoddlers wouldn't understand

>It's more comfy than using a mouse, especially for regular programming stuff

Attached: laughing-anime[1].gif (640x354, 2.57M)

Okay, retard.

This, anyone who disagrees is a poor neet who has never used a macbook or had a job.

Any hateful replies will further prove my point.

>trackpoint

Attached: 265.jpg (773x607, 36.89K)

It's peak comfy

It has a greater ceiling for dexterity and comfort? going back to mouse after using trackpad for a while feels like prison for my hands. i still do all my gayming with a mouse though

iMac with magic keyboard + touchpad is all you need for solid 10+ years of comfy programming.

Severe mental illness

form > function

Plus most people aren't even productive anyways.
They just waste their time attending meetings and answering e-mails - you don't need a good mouse for that.

>Exposé
that sounds so gay

It's one of the best features of macOS

It's comfortable, personally I just prefer touchpad to a mouse.

Arę you me?

>He uses mouse for programming

f@ggot zoomies who only grew up using touch interfaces

yep for mac os i cant use it with a mouse. They created the best touchpad experience possible.

>if you don't agree you're wrong
nice debating skill, faggot

Wintoddlers have the dexterity of a chimp so they need "ergonomic" mice to lock their hands in place so they can accurately click the buttons at their data-entry job

I'm only joking of course, macbook touchpad is god tier just saying.

t. 5 year gentoo veteran + doom emacs hobbyist

Mouse is the literal retard gaymer/boomer device at this point
Only those who have never experienced either Mac touchpad or a decent trackball can deny that any one of those is vastly superior to the mouse for every task but gayming

That probably sounded funny in your head

Isn't it just a touchpad? It's the software that makes good use of it.

uhh, what if I wanted to dick my shit?

This, except I like my HHKB too much to use anything else.

They should make a trackball with a touchpad to get the best of both devices

Even without macOS-specific software its a good touchpad, glass is simply better than plastic used in most other touchpads and their click sound is unrivaled

What could trackball possibly add?

Much faster mouse movement

touchpad is for retarded people that dont actually use the computer.

Touchpad is for people who use computer a lot. If you're using a mouse and your wrist isn't fucked up yet, that means you aren't really using your computer that much. Trackpads and trackballs are for actual power users.

m-muh vibeo gams

I refuse to believe anyone uses that shit

if the mouse is superior to every other device at gaming then it must be the best way to interface with a computer

Attached: 322.jpg (657x527, 33.23K)

>tapping (not clicking) with three fingers when the pointer is on a word brings up synonyms in the thesaurus
wtf i didn't know about this, cool
these features are why macchads don't bother organizing their windows at all. its so easy to find things whenever you need them.
>so gay
oh no! what will the Any Forumsedos think!

> 0 buttons
let me guess? you need more?

pic rel
this confuses and enrages the itoddlers

Attached: 1639510621240.jpg (539x585, 134.4K)

Gestures.
macOS has amazing gestures with the trackpad that practically make using a mouse useless. GNOME also has good shortcuts but outside of the 3-finger swipe, there is not a lot going on compared to Mac.

Attached: 1617381348836.png (971x713, 598.97K)

>UI elements
>not just using your finger
lol

don't you have a street you're supposed to be shitting?

linux users can't into hand gestures because they constantly feel so disconnected from their body and being reminded of their human form in any way literally triggers their dysphoria.

don't you have a wound you should be dilating?

Yea, fuckin "grdtures".
My mouse has 16 remappapble buttons. Yea, fuckin "gestures". Admit it you are just gaylords.

trackpoint is for the true patricians

It's far more comfortable in 99% of tasks. Plus gestures make everything faster too and it seems less tasking for your hand. I don't recall getting any cramps on a trackpad.

Tbh, it might still be down more to software. When I Hackintoshed my Windows laptop the horrible trackpad suddenly became pretty decent with the Apple drivers.

Could be nice for gestures like switching work spaces with a swipe left and right

Up and down for Home and End is pretty nice too

Doesn't seem as nice when you have to move your hands there while they are already on the trackpad for navigation.

>already on the trackpad for navigation
That's the point, you don't need to move to the keyboard

>Needing a cursor ever

Yeah I'm thinking you're a casual

see

Don't forget during these discussions that the mice of mac users only have one button.

Only if they use Apple mice

Attached: 1630047293561.gif (500x500, 258.13K)

an iNigger doesnt have the intelect required to understand USB, they only use the mouse their itoy comes with and if it breaks it must mean they need a whole new itoy

It's not even true. The depending on where your finger is, it's a right-left click.

Sure thing bud

Any recommendations for a trackball? I've been thinking of getting myself one.

Kensington Expert Mouse and Kensington SlimBlade are the two best options

Tit mouse is a meme

Attached: iu.jpg (700x484, 45.26K)

Magic Trackpad has infinite buttons though

Not at all, they're a significant upgrade from any trackpad

I can use a trackpad left or right handed, but I can only use a mouse with my right hand.

That and mac touch gestures. Significantly better than anything on windows or linux.

trackballs are absolutely garbage. too much stress on the thumb when a slight movement from the wrist would suffice in a regular mouse. I'm never falling for that meme again.

That's your own fault for being dumb enough to get a thumb ball.

where else am I supposed to put the ball? inside my ass?
any other finger would be even worse than the thumb.

You've got it backwards, the thumb is the worst choice. You get a bigger ball and use your index and middle or ring fingers

Attached: 1614851916520.png (550x413, 226.59K)

that looks horrendous desu. how do you click with it? you press the ball down?

>that looks horrendous desu.
It's incredible
>how do you click with it? you press the ball down?
Of course not. See those four lines, they separate the four buttons. And you scroll by twisting the ball. Or you could get an Expert Mouse and scroll with a ring but the buttons work the same

Attached: 1629986248808.png (570x570, 297.09K)

Not him but it looks interesting. I was going to buy a normal trackball from logi, are you sure it's more comfortable than having your hand sideways like the logitech one?

These are normal trackballs, Logitech's the one that makes weird ones. I find Kensington's much more comfortable.

Requires less desk space, doesn't require a mat, pretty comfy to use, works better with gestures in mind.

I found this one, its a bit more expensive than but it's wireless
Which scroll is better the ring or the ball?

Attached: poER9LH2OQ.jpg (743x513, 52.56K)

>but it's wireless
That's a con, they make it wired too. Neat thing about the wireless one is that it takes two AAs but they're in parallel so in a pinch you can get by with just one
>ball vs ring scrolling
I'm still undecided on that one

>Speed of light is slower than the speed of light
Wireless vs wired is not even a discussion nowadays, it's literally the same performance.

I don't recall making that argument. What I do know is that batteries always die at the most inconvenient time and that's a non-issue for wired models

looks like you need to activate 2 or 3 muscle groups to do simple movements. it is awful.

>this thing I've only seen a photo of is garbage, trust me bro

>yes let the wrist handle everything it should be fi-

I've had my hands my entire life. I know how it feels to roll balls under my fingers (*wink*). You don't need a big brain to know how shitty that thing is.

mouse + touchpad is actually god tier. some things are just much better with a touchpad, scrolling on the internet is one of them

Meanwhile it's the best pointing device in existence

>scrolling on the internet is one of them
so you prefer using 2 fingers instead of only one? that makes no sense

Sure it does

by that logic a virtual keyboard used with a mouse is better than a keyboard

It's OK for casual use but for GUI centric work and games (hurr durr mac has no games, it does have a fair share of strategy games) I still prefer a mouse.

the logic is energy/time. scrolling with two fingers is a waste of energy that does not reduce time.
on the other hand, using a keyboard instead of a virtual keyboard greately increases the use of energy, but also greately reduces the time taken to write a text, which in the end makes it better than the virtual keyboard.

Does that even matter for strategy games? You don't need pin-point accuracy there and usually have shortcuts for more complicated actions.

>the logic is energy/time
i move my hand less when browsing the web on touchbar vs mouse. Also for scrolling specifically you can "shoot" the page upwards and it will scroll by itself (like on a phone), so even for scrolling i use less energy/time. I use the "Scroll Anywhere" addon for mouse actually since manually scrolling is too slow on long sites. While on touchpad i just give the site a spin

>iNiggers are too stupid to use buttons
cant make this shit up

Attached: 1642838644878.jpg (1920x1080, 184.33K)

Does windows even have gestures?
I've never met someone who knows how to use virtual desktops on windows, but this seems pretty common on macOS because its so intuitive

it depends. some can be opened with by sliding them sideways

>Also for scrolling specifically you can "shoot" the page upwards and it will scroll by itself (like on a phone)
if you like that shit, there are mouses whose scroll wheel spins freely, and you need only one finger to use it. using the keyboard shortcuts is way faster though, which renders the touchpad useless. if you want to pinpoint where you wanna go on the page, just use the scroll bar on the left.
>i move my hand less when browsing the web on touchbar vs mouse.
it might be the case that you don't know how to use a mouse.

>it might be the case that you don't know how to use a mouse.
with a touchpad you move a finger, with a mouse your whole hand. i just mentioned this because of your shitty energy reasoning

>with a mouse your whole hand
you only perform small movements with your wrist when using a mouse. thanks for proving me right though.

As opposed to small movements with your finger(s).

>you only perform small movements with your wrist
Which moves your whole hand, that's what the wrist is for

wrist
>only one joint moves
>2 big muscles on the fore arm, small movements are extremely cheap

fingers
>at least 3 joints
>at least 6 small muscles
>even small movements aren't cheap, due to the size of the muscle

i shouldn't have to explain basic anatomy to smoothbrained touchlets

Look man, I'm just pointing out that moving your wrist moves your hand. I couldn't care less about how many joints or muscles are involved.

retard

no u

If you have to call yourself "Macchad". Then you're a fucking loser

If you have to move your hands from the keyboard even while coding yah fucking suck

I use touchpad when I'm just watching videos and not doing anything that requires precise cursor movements

>and their click sound is unrivaled

Jesus Christ man Apple will not fuck you

>macchads
HAHHAHAHA
your posts are one of the most beta posts i have ever seen on this board
stop roleplaying as a chad and post your boypussy right here already
have some balls to admit who you really are user

Yes windows has gestures.

i like it best
gestures are better
consistency between laptop & desktop
feels good
way faster for me

What is this mouse thing you talking about?

after years of experimenting I settled with this combo, is comfy

Attached: 272275393_1535779826789287_7284940625542201811_n.jpg (1920x1080, 264.26K)

Linux users have console. They don't need your gayness to do things fast and effective. Keybinds are tru way. I find using mouse or touchpad on Linux offensive and perverted. So it's gay. Working with CAD programs or video/picture editing software without proper mouse is nightmare and double gay. And bagging about preffering touchpad, makes you tripple gay.

No numpad, horrendous mouseball thing. Jesus. Just... Jesus.

That's pretty cool
Here's mine:
Hold mouse button 9 down and
move cursor left or right, switches window focus
move cursor down will close window under the cursor, move cursor up unbound
not moving cursor and it will function as normal go forward in history button

and of course, all of that is customizable and only ~40 LoC of bash and I don't have to use inferior trackpad and I still have 4 other mouse buttons+scroll wheel

you are a dilettante at the feast of the world's culture

cope

MacOS has good gestures that ACTUALLY WORK. That and the shortcut keys mean you are hardly ever interacting with the touchpad anyway, but trying to drag files around is definitely shitty.

I'm wintoddler laptopvirgin and I prefer to use touchpad in the browser. It has the smoothest scrolling, horizontal included, and that's what I do with a touchpad - scroll. A lot. I've set it to be pretty sensitive, so I don't need to move my fingers much - it's pretty comfy when you get used to it, only unlike mouse it's just fingers. I do support it with a mouse when I need to copy something or not in the browser. No gestures.

I have been using the touchpad on my laptop instead of a mouse and after getting accustomed to it I have a few reasons to consider using one on desktop aswell:
>Minimal hand movement
>Silent
>Getsures
>Essentially no wear since no moving parts, can last forever unlike mice
>No need for mousepad
Thats it I think
In short, it has all the advantages of touch devices without the breakable stuff