The last good macbook was made 10 years ago

>the last good macbook was made 10 years ago

Attached: ZRvbF6CBgyiNLDro.large.jpg (800x600, 33.5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

frame.work/
discussions.apple.com/thread/252721547
dell.com/en-us/work/shop/workstations-isv-certified/precision-7920-tower-workstation/spd/precision-7920-workstation/xctopt7920us#features_section
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>the last good macbook was made 16 years ago

Attached: img-2022-01-29-06-30-57.png (450x287, 97.41K)

>There never were any good MacBooks.

Attached: 96c.jpg (604x604, 50.82K)

>intel
>good
CRINGE

this reply coming to you from a 2011 macbook pro
>replace multiple batteries
>replace cpu
>re-goober heat sink
>1 TB hard drive, then 275gb ssd a few years ago, now with a 1tb ssd
>new keyboard
still going strong, still doing what I need it to do.

This. There were good PowerBooks, though.

nice. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

they have 720p screens tho

I would buy a macbook this year IF I could also install windows on it. Until Windows ARM opens up to M1 usage which may be soon, no way.

I prefer the form factor and red mouse nipple of the lenovos but I am not going to buy a brand that even the DOD restricts it’s people from using due to chink chip subversions.

>they have 720p screens tho
>still doing what I need it to do.
also have a big assed lenovo something screen I can use if I need the room, that a contract employer gave me.

What do you want winblows for?

I will not buy one because they won’t let you manually upgrade your ram and ssd when you need more space.

Based, I'm on a 2012 non-retina MBP. Added RAM, swapped to and SSD, could still add another to replace the DVD drive if I wanted, and the battery still functions fine. Only problem is my thunderbolt or whatever port is loose/broken, and sadly on this generation it's soldered straight to the mainboard. IIRC on your generation it was on a little subboard which you can buy a replacement of for like $10 and just swap right out. The screen resolution is low, but at least it's 16x10.

Anyway this thing is a fucking tank, I've dropped the shit out of it numerous times and even used the worn out ac adapter (those fuckers do wear out fast, I'm on my 3rd but one was a cheap knockoff) anyway it was almost completely broken but I just twisted the wires back together and it would spark whenever I plugged it in and this fucking laptop still didn't miss a beat lmao. :D

thats why the best macbooks were made in 2012 and before you fucking idiot

this.
I forgot to mention upgraded RAM to 8gb.

>could still add another to replace the DVD drive if I wanted
how would one do this? I have a 275 ssd that I use for general storage even though I don't need it, but it would be cool if it was inside the machine

>even used the worn out ac adapter
if you mean the port in the computer for charging, you can replace those too when they get work, LOL I forgot to list that too.
I think ifixit sells them cheap.

>get work
*stop working

You mean the one with the melting GPUs? Yeah that was a good joke

niggermac

niggermac

>RAM to 8gb.
8gb? In 2022??????

>2015 was 10 years ago
figured a Mactoddler can't into math

>t. vm tranny

wrong, too many tabs chad

this. 2015 macbook pro is superior to the m1 13 inch mbp

I’m still using the last 17” model they produced, mostly as a thin client since they stopped supporting it and I can’t install the latest sdk’s for anything as a result

Did you hack your way to later so upgrades or are you still on high Sierra

I doubt Apple will support bootcamp again, but you should be able to run a windows vm through parallels

OWC data doubler. My late 2011 17” mbp was upgraded to 16GB ram and an SSD immediately while I moved the 1tb hdd to the dvd drive bay

If I want windows its for things that would be cpu/gpu intensive so VM would be undesirable - like gayming or adobe or whatever type of thing.

>wanting adobe on windows when you have a mac
wtf is wrong with you.

Gaming will never be good on M1, unless you're fine with emulators.

The last good mac came out in 1984

based. 2011 mbp had so much fucking soul. also the last one before jobs died. not a coincidence.

Attached: Au3s4ZkFPAH3xJXe.medium.jpg (592x444, 14.84K)

You can put a quad core in these
You can also put a macbook air screen in it for 1440x900.

Mine was the controversial no flash card slot model

Attached: 25CF0C27-6453-4226-A6A9-50BF760A64D1.jpg (3264x2448, 1.54M)

based 17" chad

s-sorry chad i didn't mean to b-barge in on you..

Attached: booba.gif (220x174, 46.65K)

>re-goober heat sink
i need to do this and remove the dust from mine. just installed a 1tb ssd a month ago.
>t. mid-2014 user

Pretty much the only reason I never upgraded was it was the last 17” model

Human eyes can't see past 1280x800

I still have my late 2012 15" MBP. It was the last one with the chunky unibody design with all of the ports. Still runs great. I've swapped batteries, ram and drives on it no problem. Even though I never really use it anymore, It's one of my best computers.

Still have one and apart from apple locking me out of Xcode 13 it does everything one needs.
If I had to buy a notebook today though, I would probably get the modular framework whatever-its-called thing

No, it was made in 2015

The razor blades seem to be the closest to older thick mbp in terms of construction but they’re expensive af and wtf needs 14 cores in a laptop

Don't you have some dogs to walk?

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 5.09.07 PM.png (1130x568, 514.25K)

Forgot to say my plan would be to have an eGPU that I can swap between desktop linux system and the m1 mac that could also run windows

based
thinking of updating because homebrew doesn't offer support anymore :/ and i can't get certain tensorflow packages to install or even compile

I never got why 13" Macbook Airs shipped with 1440x900 screens, but 13" MBPs were stuck with 1280x800 until retina.

here here

Attached: minty.png (724x491, 125.27K)

nice

here is my basement setup, forgot my pi 4 password...

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 5.42.34 PM.png (2286x1578, 2.01M)

Macbooks are unironically the dumbest product. Sacrificing utility for looks when you can't even dock this shit to two external screens is beyond retarded.

Can’t you? Just apple doesn’t make a dock like IBM did.

Apple doesn't even provide a dock, and no you can't unless you use some third party software with a third party dock.

frame.work/

This is what seems awesome to me. No hackintosh though, so linux only.

Went from 2015 air to 2020 m1 air, the experience feels exactly the same except with m1 performance. people kept memeing about the screen on the 15 but its pretty much as good as the retina screen, aka the retinas arent all that great. not sure whats going on with the new ones

Hello fellow 2012 bro. I'm rocking a 15" with Max ram, CPU and two SSD's shelled out for the 650 with 1GB of vram too, fucking love this machine

2015 rMBP was great desu

The current M1 MacBook Air is pretty comfy, but I know logically that the next one won't be nearly as good. You can tell they were selling them for cheaper than they otherwise would've to get as many people as possible to jump ship.

He mad.

Attached: 8300C8AB-1979-4FD3-9FC9-835CA385EAC0.jpg (1189x1080, 320.65K)

I love my 2011 mbp, I run mint on it and it's so great. The only thing that sucks is the GPU issue, so I can't fuck around with much video stuff.

What the shit are you talking about? I run three external displays with a first gen M1 MacBook Pro, and they work with any generic usb c dock without configuration.

discussions.apple.com/thread/252721547
No, not really.

there is no such thing as a good laptop.
it's like ranking deadly viruses from the same sub family, at the end of the day, it's still a virus so you're better off without any variants in your body in the first place.
I'm absolutely convinced that there is a direct relationship between mental health and the computer you use to work/relax, a bad UX is very taxing on your brain and even if you don't realize it, it's still getting on your nerves.
sitting down at a desk with a wide monitor, a large keyboard and mouse, sat in your ceo chair will forever be a better experience than using a tiny portable device uable only by kids, women and manlets, even if you use it in your bed or from the couch.
>inb4 muh docking station
Yes. use them whenever you can, if you're too retarded to take the desktop pill, just larp as a desktop user, it's for your own health

t.never worked a job in his life

Nah the cable itself always frays right at the plug, every single one, same as iphone cables. Got so bad the wires all broke, so I actually twisted the wires in the cable back together, it was pretty ridiculous and I had to keep doing it because they'd get burned out.

Nice, wish mine was that powerful, but I only got the base model 13" with the intel gfx. Still, with 16Gb RAM and an SSD it does everything I ask of it even now.

I've never even used my firewire port lol.

The 1280x800 screen was higher quality though, one of the reasons I got the 13"MBP instead of the Air. The viewing angles and colors on the air were absolute dogshit.

>replace cpu
Why? It's not even possible. You had to replace the fucking motherboard?

Yeah that's the kind of reason why I have a ThinkPad instead, no expiry date on the motherboard.

>I'm a tough boi, my company is exploiting me and I like it
>t.retard
I have a desktop at my current job with two monitors and I use my own keyboard + mouse + chair that I brought from home.
I also work remote twice a week, I use the laptop they gave me to connect to my desktop remotely, obviously, I have the laptop connected to a monitor + keyboard/mouse and I have my hm embody chair.
my workstation is a dell workstation with a 14/28 xeon gold cpu with 128GB of ram, 2 rtx6000 with 512GB/8TB of ssd storage (nvme/sata), I'll let you guess my actual job.
I don't understand why you put up with this retardation, laptop are for meetings and presentations, if you do real work 40 hours a week on a laptop you're getting heavily exploited and should ask for better compensation because it's actually draining your energy faster than you think...
even the stacies at my company have desktop, only execs that move a lot and don't really need a desktop only have a laptop but htey still have the dock + 2 monitors + keyboard and mouse at their desk.

Not my problem.

good for you, I'm warming others who might use laptop and not realizing the harm

warning

My bad. I did have to run displaylink, but with hug bandwidth usb c, i can’t tell any lag.

Regardless, it's inexcusable that Apple doesn't support this from the get go. I've been using this shit on Lenovo laptops for almost a decade now. It's lazy and dumb, especially considering how much those laptops cost.

Dick measuring. I was pulling in 600k/mo on an e-commerce site that I built using a single M1 MacBook.

The new pro and max chips support three and four external displays without any chicanery.

>I was pulling in 600k/mo on an e-commerce site that I built using a single M1 MacBook.
I kneel

I mean, that’s gross, and GP is only about 12% after shipping and all that shit.

>120hz
>old keyboard returns
>old ports return
>MagSafe returns
>diving board trackpad nixed, replaced with objectively superior force touch
>Intel nixed, replaced with objectively superior M1 Pro or Max
What's not to like? Are you upset about the notch?

Attached: mbp14-spacegray-select-202110.jpg (904x840, 66.56K)

>dell
Here’s a dell “workstation” with an i9 that they put one of those shitty coolers on after ten seconds of running cinebench.

Attached: 204BF4DD-11C8-49D0-AA7E-BBAE63D87B72.jpg (1280x958, 652.41K)

No they don't

Does it have an operating system yet? Seems like neat hardware.

Target Disk Mode is great, I wish that was more of a standard thing rather than a Mac-only thing

Yes, it runs Unix.

I have a co-worker with a i7-10700 during heavy compilation (C++) the cpu hit 80°C, we also have an alienware computer (i9-9900K with rtx2080TI) and the cpu is in the 90°C under heavy load.
my workstation looks like this one dell.com/en-us/work/shop/workstations-isv-certified/precision-7920-tower-workstation/spd/precision-7920-workstation/xctopt7920us#features_section
cpu temps are fine during compilation but gpu are very loud during ML training.
my boss has some lenovo workstation with dual xeon and it's a freaking beast, temps never go higher than 70°C but it gets very loud

Can't wait for a future when computers make no noise. I fucking hate it.

how do i upvote a Any Forums reply

Shame this is going away in later macs.
It's also a shame that not a single PC has ever supported or implemented it's own form of TDM.

That time is now. A computer with no moving parts, save the keyboard.

Attached: 748DCB03-0DC1-482D-832F-B853F6C0BEFA.jpg (904x840, 36.23K)

I thought it got extended to Thunderbolt

thick ugly bezels and tiny ass 720p camera
dont wanna look like an incel outside

It's honestly the battery life that I love the most. I'll put up with a lot of dumb shit if my laptop can go 2 days with charging.

It did but I think the new Apple Silicon macs replaced it with Mac sharing mode.

>Mac Sharing Mode is the successor to Target Disk Mode on Macs based on Apple Silicon processors, starting in November 2020 with the Apple M1 processor. Usage Mac Sharing Mode can be accessed from the startup options of Macs based on Apple Silicon processors and allows its internal drive to be accessed from another Mac like an external drive.
Sounds like it's the same thing just with a different name

human eye can't see more than one tab

It’s almost the same, but it’s more secure.

The battery life is obscene. I don’t put mine on the charger for days at a time.

ebin

Look, mom, I quoted every post to own the iToddlers.

Just recently got a mid 2014 MBP Retina 15in off eBay with 500gb SSD (can be upgraded) 16gb Ram (Non Upgradable) for $260. Been a Windows user all my life and haven't really messed with Macs. Its a decent machine and has aged well.

XNU is not Unix.

It is UNIX though, as are a few Linux distros

13” is a no go for me. I can barely stand 15”

That just means it isn’t AT&T Unix, which is not how Unix is defined anymore. That was just a product of the Unix wars.

based.
I got a new mbpro last year, 16 inch high end specs. CPU is faster, screen rez is top notch etc. BUT
my 2011 mbp is STILL faster running mojave with upgraded SSD and ram, which I cannot do on the new one. Screen rez sucks, idgaf. That notebook is warlike, even fell off a few tables and still going strong. That's fucking quality.
Also, keyboard. 2011 keyboard is heaven.

UNIX is just a cert you pay for. May as wel be a weapon of durgasoft

It's a cert you get after paying to have your OS compliance tested to thousands of pages of specifications. You can't just take any POS OS, throw $15k at SCO, and call it UNIX

>was
What happened

>literally replaced the entire computer
>STILL GOING STRONG
macfags are fucking dumb

Attached: jordan laughing.gif (200x200, 3.34M)

>said the currynigger as he pathetically saves his currynigger shill thread from page 10

Attached: 1629705935354.jpg (643x960, 237.98K)

very based, my fellow decade old mbp havers

Attached: image.png (1116x340, 55.74K)

Ok. What's your point?

Please, post this same message in pretty much every thread on Any Forums. It applies to pretty much every other thread on the board.

what's wrong with the new ones? I thought they fixed all the crap that people were complaining about.

Attached: 1622600190886.jpg (720x900, 48.25K)

Macbooks have always been riddled with design faults from shitty engineering; degrading screen coverings, melting adhesives, snapping hinges, stuck keyboards, expanding batteries to name a few.

No ability to open or upgrade. Gendered language in macOS.