Be me

>Be me
>leading small team doing research, 1st meeting
>ask people to come up with 1 short proposal for things they might want to work on,
>it's only got to be a paragraph long and they can bring it next meeting.
>1 person freaks out that they're being overworked by this.
>A second person loudly announces that they quit.
>mfw next meeting more than half the team decided to quit a funded research position because i asked them to brainstorm an idea and explain it with at least 1 paragraph of detail.
>fuck ivy leagues.

Attached: 1644468240926.jpg (1388x2082, 416.1K)

>give unreasonable amount of work to coworkers
>they leave
>waaaah waaah waaah
Nobody likes a douchebag

it's only a paragraph long and they can write literally anything and they had examples of really straightforward ideas. I'm not sure what less I can ask desu. It's honestly the flimsiest and easiest thing i could think of to ask besides nothing at all.

Shouldn't have specified a paragraph long. Also, "doing research" is vague as fuck. Maybe the group could have come to a conclusion through discussion right there in the moment like what to go for - biological research, engineering, hardware, animals, w/e

Is it really a funded research with absolutely no baseline or scope? Feels like getting paid to throw darts at a wall.

Maybe just ask them to pitch what proposals or ideas they have in a meeting and work together to build upon that idea instead of making it like a highschool homework? That way everyone can say everything they want to say in real time? No one likes homeworks.

You in grad school or what kind of research is this? What you're experiencing is pretty typical of fresh out of high school college freshmen, amplified by zoomer entitlement, laziness, and stupidity. They have effectively filtered themselves out of anything greater than minimum wage since they are guaranteed to drop out by the second semester.

working as a zoomer must be nice
i got bullied/taken advantage gen xers and boomers. if we pulled this shit we got canned

>>be me
>>don't actually do work, just be a bureaucrat
>>"hey guise can you stop doing actual work and wrote me an essay I can file as proof off my bureaucratic busywork?? thx!!"
OP being a useless faggot as per usual

Attached: 1663135511609531.jpg (566x800, 92.62K)

>Is it really a funded research with absolutely no baseline or scope?
It's ML research, the task they were asked to do was pick 1 technique they would like to try to increase performance of an ML model which is a the core of the project, and write what metrics they want to use to determine improvement. Techniques were given in supplementary material if they couldn't think of any. It was only meant to be an exercise they perform during the training period so they could get practice writing proposals.
>like a highschool homework?
Nobody likes work? i mean idk, there should be some work involved in a university research position, you need to actually research something. You can't just disorganizedly conduct experiments without explaining the goals and procedures first. If you're gonna propose research alternatives you really should do your homework first, especially if it's only half a page long.
ML research. Actually it's grad students, not phd, just masters. A research component is required for them to graduate the masters program.

Idk I'm having a hard time of it myself. Of all the people it really feels like me and another guy were the only people actually doing anything, and he's leaving so it's just me now. I'm really thinking of leaving too. I didn't want to work in a daycare. i wanted to make people under me feel like they were in charge of their work, like it wasn't something i was dictating to them because i didn't want them to "check out" so to speak, like i was ordering them to do everything. But i guess the stress of making an active decision, even one i promised them had no consequences, that was too much stress for them too early maybe.
I actually have built the majority of the system myself. It's actually just me and one other guy who seem to contribute all of the code and planning for the experiments and projects. I've asked people to do something simple like calculate medians elementwise on a matrix and instead of taking a week it took them 3 months and they failed. So i decided to do it myself and did it within 6 hours. It really feels like the opposite way around.

honestly it was more like 3, and it took me that long because i was watching a lecture and writing emails while looking up the documentation, and i went and grabbed lunch in between and then i finished the rest of the script that i didn't even ask them to work on yet.

Oh, masters students. Yeah that laziness is unfortunately typical since it's a terminal graduate degree for many of them so they can fuck off back to the wage cage to bargain for a 2% raise.

well idk, the team is small but honestly it won't make much of a difference, the new researchers don't usually contribute much. Just me and another guy, but with him leaving, i think i might just call it quits too. I really don't want to be the only active worker I know where I work.

They won't even use any of the shallow knowledge they picked up in class since they'll just use the MS to get into a manager role, where they'll do no real work as well.

>It was only meant to be an exercise they perform during the training period so they could get practice writing proposals.
Maybe they saw what they would have to do in the future and freaked the fuck out?

Idk, it's not been all that easy for me, but i guess i'm just some sort of dope or something. It's not like I'm appreciated for the work i put in, honestly the guy above me is taking all the credit actually. i can't blame people for not believing in work. It's not really paying off for me.
idk user, i guess. I'm not harsh with people under me, this year i tried adding some more structure because the last batch was really lazy and incompetent, especially by the end where they were blatantly blowing off work. This time i guess a 1 paragraph proposal just fried their brains terrified.

>do something simple like calculate medians elementwise on a matrix and instead of taking a week it took them 3 months and they failed.
That doesn't sound simple, that sounds like calculus

Nigga that's literally
>sort vector
>pick center index value
>or average of middle 2 index values if there is an even number of elements
in a for loop for each row or column. Hell, in most common scientific computing libraries it's one functional call since it's a basic operation. How fucking stupid are you?

of course OP the faggot might be using the wrong term so maybe his teammates quit since they were tired of dealing with a retard

that is really simple, depending on the library you find to do it, it's 1 function call, or a nested loop or three if you feel like just doing it yourself.

You receive a 3 dimensional matrix we'll call "input", just calculate the median of each element across the last dimension. that means

let "input" be a 3d matrix of shape a,b,c
let "out" be a 2d vector we return
let vector temp be a 1d vector of size c
for every x
for every y

for every z
add input[z] to temp
sort temp
let out[x,y] = the middle element of temp
empty temp

return out

it's that easy to do by hand, it's not even linear algebra and you don't even need to do this. There's a library you can use with 1 function call. ML research requires that you understand statistical proofs of multivariable calculus operations. And i couldn't' get 3 people to put enough brain power together to figure this out.

it is exactly that operation, except it was a 3d matrix, so not the row or column but the 3rd index you had to sort and take the middle value of.

People nowadays are soft. Just looking at the replies defending these sissies is proof enough. And then they wonder why their life is shitty when they don't put any effort in it.

Attached: ThisIsNotIt.gif (264x256, 1.74M)

>his teammates quit
they weren't teammates, they were new hires and it was the first meeting i had with them after they'd committed to joining the team over email with me after receiving their offer letters. They'd been given a week of time to review some reading material if they needed refreshers on ML material. The first meeting i just talked about the project goals, and techniques, discussed the review material with them and then explained how to make proposals.They had done nothing else. The review material is some articles and a few related papers, it wasn't required reading either. It was purely organized for people that wanted to review their skill gaps.

>make people work
>people don't like
>people quit
oh no i made people do stupid shit and they leave me because of it, who could have predicted this? just enjoy the gibs who cares about (((research)))

They each have access to 300 grand in funding for their research proposals, they could fucking buy a house just to run their laptop in it, and it's somehow not good enough because i asked them to write a proposal first.
I do...

I'm still learning to code but if there's a library for it then IDK what to tell ya, retards gonna be retards.

>join fully funded research group
>haha alright guys so... what do you think we should do now
Fuck I'd leave too why are you treating grown ass adults like a kindergarten class? Have the suggestion box BEFORE the selection process so people can tell you to kill yourself BEFORE you waste their time.