How does probing work?

How does probing work?

I'm making a custom AC97 adapter for a motherboard that supports a different kind of connector (which I just cut up). I'm not getting any connection between any wire combinations.

Attached: probings.jpg (2400x2104, 1.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

frontx.com/cpx090_b2.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

idk rtfm

What the hell are you trying to probe for?

Dude is your probe connected to the plastic sleeve? No shit you don't measure anything.

You have to pierce the wires sheath to measure anything or us the tips and touch the actual fucking exposed metal. Why are you making this of you dont even know how to measure a voltage correctly?

I knew you fags would say that, but you SHOULD have concluded that the tip is only touching plastic in the pic because I didnt balance it with my hand while taking a pic
Goddammit

this picture tells me less and probably took more time to edit in paint than a simple pencil diagram.

Why would there be any continuity between the black audio cable from the motherboard and the yellow cable going to audio breakout panel on the case? Isn't the first supposed to feed the second?

If you're sure you're touching the metal there probably simply isn't a direct connection between the 2 points.

You should be probing for resistance between conductors in the black cable. I can't see what setting the dial is at on your voltmeter, but I'm assuming it's on "continuity" instead - ie; the function where a tone sounds if the resistance between probes drops low enough.

An easier possible alternative is to try to ID the connectors, and then google around for the common pinouts used for them

OP, Im really fucking confused. Are you trying to measure some kind of connection between wires that aren't connected?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (2837x2237, 1.22M)

Looks like you have the wrong equipment, you'll know if you are being probed correctly.

Attached: Aliens.jpg (511x447, 24.01K)

OP here. That was my intuition as well but people told me that I find out the wiring diagram by doing this probing thing but I have no idea how it's done correctly because there really isn't a closed loop anywhere
Help

Did you at least test your probe by connecting it the your COM cable directly? If that works but the other connections don't, then they're just not connected, OP.

Okay then fag tell us what you are trying to measure and why. Do you have a fucking schematic. Do you have any brain cells in your head to give us any fucking information on this or are you just going to ask how to fix x. Also why the fick are you using the high range voltage setting. It's entirely possible its not sensitive enough to measure a few voltages. Drop that shit.

Ok so the full story is this.
>buy a computer case
>buy a motherboard
>realize case has that yellow wire for audio inputs
>motherboard doesnt support it
>motherboard supports the white flat connector whose cord you can see cut up in the pic
>that is me trying to figure out which wire corresponds wich in the yellow one
>this is because I'm tryna make an adapter
>basically I just need the yellow cable hooked up 2 the mobo by any means necessary

They are telling you to measure voltages retard. One should be power one should be ground ground is usually connected to the metal chassis of your device. Then you got data lines whether they are analog or digital you need to give more information not going to bust my ass to figure out your project just to help you. This is currently what I'm working on.

Attached: 20220827_023956.jpg (2560x1440, 1.25M)

Really they release this crap on their documentation usually so this is one of the standard audio input headers on the motherboard right? If so they generall.follow a standard you can just look up the pin out of that connector and attach yours to it by matching what each pin does.

It would really help if you can find the cable names/see what your manufacturers say the audio interfaces are.

Just to follow up here is one such example
frontx.com/cpx090_b2.html
If anything this looks like a simple mod and should not even require measuring.

You have to connect the BBC to the p spot and then run another BBC the throat.

Attached: 10.gif (487x327, 1.68M)

Btw, if you measure between the jack audio ports on the back of the mobo and those wires do you get anything? Would be the easiest way to figure it out.