Building a retro PC

I wanna build a retro PC from 2005-2008. I ditched the idea of an older build, because I want the PC to relate to my youth and the times when you could do a lot with computers but the Internet wasn't ruined yet.

What parts do you think I should get? Currently I have the following and I think they're shit:
>Club 3D GeForce 6600, 256 MB, 2004 (no idea what Club is, some kind of NVIDIA knockoff?)
>AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.6 GHz, 2004 (no idea if this was good for the time)
>1.5 GB of RAM
>Micro-Star International (MSI) motherboard

I kinda want pic related because fappable GPU.

Attached: nvidia-8800-gts-albatron-slika-17532662.jpg (920x488, 76.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/224909192061?
ebay.com/itm/204069473733?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

based how c1n I help you

Sempron was utter garbage, essentially AMD's even-crappier Celeron
6600GT was a solid mid range contender back in't'day but will struggle at 1920x1080 in games from that period, id maybe try to find an 8800GTS, they were absolute beasts back then
Suggest going for something like an Athlon 64 X2 instead of the sempron if you want to stay amd, or something like the mighty C2D E8400 if you wanna go Intel

By C2D u mean the Core2 DUO, rite?

>id maybe try to find an 8800GTS, they were absolute beasts back then
What about Ati Radeon Sapphire HD 4870 or NVIDIA GTX 280?

Why? you could run games from that era without a gpu

I have a Windows XP copmuter from 2002 and it doesnt run a SNES emulator for some reason help guys

>no idea what Club is, some kind of NVIDIA knockoff?
kek, that's a new one

you can run those games on a /current/ IGP, but not a contemporary one

sempron is the budget version of athlon

What do you guys think of this?

From 2002, completely stock.
>20 GB IDE drive
>Intel Celeron processor 1 GHz
>integrated graphics
>won't run Snes9X

Attached: IMG_0427.jpg (2448x3264, 1.68M)

what do you mean by "doesn't run"? and which emulator?
snes9x is what you should be using

Yeah that's what I meant
Why not just spend your money on a CRT? you can't tell what hardware it's running on

Wait, why are people asking 300 for that piece of shit?
ebay.com/itm/224909192061?
ebay.com/itm/204069473733?

You can just play old games on a normal PC. This seems like way too much hassle, hunting down specific parts and interacting with all the problematic sellers.

I started the Slayers ROM and it just shows some blurred cheksum error message and the framerate is so slow that I never even get to the main menu of the game.
I'm using Snes9x

Yeah, the E8400 was quintessential for a few years around that time. It had a massive 6MB L2 cache and more memory bandwidth than the early Core 2s, and can even manage Windows 10 and some fairly recent games without any issues.
Those GPUs are both roughly equivalent to an 8800, the 280 is a bit faster iirc
Certainly any of those three GPUs would run Crysis, which was the limbo bar of the time.

Not OP but a lot of games from that time won't run in anything later than XP due to DRM or dependencies which are incompatible with Vista onwards
I keep one of the ancient Alienware 17s around with XP installed just for that purpose

I remember when Crysis came out and nobody's pc would run it lol

>ebay.com/itm/204069473733?
Clueless seller. They've seen someone else's used computer for sale for 300 and assumed their used computer must be worth the same.

I'm OP and I have a crazy Alienware 7500 case that I'm using in this build.
It kinda sucks that my parts are cheap when the case is so pimped out. I dont have any of the original parts

Attached: 36028.jpg (750x750, 52.29K)

not op, but i still get it
it's the same kind of thing as emulator vs. hardware
i play playstation games in emulators regularly, but it's still really comfy to play on my actual playstation as well

snes9x should run most games well on anything new enough to have shipped with XP, i wasn't big into that generation of games, so i only used it briefly back then, but i don't recall having performance issues with it on my P3 machines, provided i don't use the heavyweight filters, check your settings, there are various things you can do to improve performance by foregoing some niceties
also, i haven't used it in a long time, so it could be that newer versions are more accurate and therefore heavier to run, try an older version

I still can't get a solid 60FPS on 1440p ultra on the first one with an 8086K and a 980Ti.
30 on medium was jaw dropping at release.
Fuck knows what hardware they tested it on in house, even 2 8800GTXs in SLI couldn't do ultra back then.

It's not the same as PlayStation
you're running it on the same x86 hardware just a newer iteration
You aren't emulating windows

Ensure the motherboard standoffs aren't in BTX arrangement (board upside down relative to ATX)
Most Dell workstations of the time are like that

Were they just shit programmers m8?

it was always a rather poorly optimised game, and they designed it for a future where cpus advanced in clock speed and IPC rather than what actually happened (cpus going multicore)
basically, crysis was designed for a 10GHz pentium 4, not a 3GHz core 2 quad

Shit, I just realized my MSI motherboard might not fit in that.
The ALienware case originally came with a NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI motherboard but good lukc finding one.

If this happened in 2022 I'd say yeah for sure
However Crytek were pioneers back then and the game did look on a completely different level from other 2007 games. I think the scene/mesh complexity and the lack of modern LOD impostering worked against it more than shoddy code, but im no dev, just an user with rose tinted specs.
It kind of holds up today.

Attached: crysis1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.36M)

Nah don't listen to me I'm talking shite
That model does use a standard ATX layout
Often used to find Optiplex and XPS machines would have the boards in upside down and the CPU mounted 45 degrees off straight like a diamond