How did you choose your career path? I'm 25 and still have no idea what to do

How did you choose your career path? I'm 25 and still have no idea what to do.

Attached: 1658034991915.jpg (700x875, 116.13K)

I started coding at 12, went to uni for economics. But got a full time job making games in first year, so here I am being a lazy engineer

My dad was a chemist.
I will be a chemist.
Simple as

I searched for something that requires
>little education
>doesn't actually require you to do anything
>high demand
>pays decent
I'm a medic on an offshore oil platform. I shit post all day and play video games. Really don't have a direct boss because the guy over me is over the entire rig and his main concern isn't some weirdo jerking off in his office away from everyone.

I'm 24
Wanted high quality food without having to get it shipped from farms and breaking the bank, so I got into animal husbandry and permaculture. It doesn't really pay but it's become my obsession... it'll keep me busy until I kill myself

What's with the roastie pic btw?

I cant sleep at night so that limited my options. Security is pretty easy and comes with interesting stories

My dad was fucking my mom
I will be fucking my mom

Simple as
wait...

I liked playing vidya so I figured I might as well study IT. Got my first real job at 24 at a large firm. Started on the IT support desk. Fucking hated every second of it. I'm 31 now and somehow I got myself into a senior management position at the same firm. I don't even know what happened in between, but I love my job, and the money.

Chemist here, labs pay shit and are boring as fuck, ended up going into office work instead

Depends what your priorities are. Money, comfort, work environment, etc.

I floundered around in university wasting money, racking up debt, and never finishing anything until reality hit in my mid 20s and I dedicated myself to something that I was pretty good at, sort of interested in, in decent demand, that would provide a decent environment, work hours, and paycheck.

I was good with computers and solving problems when they acted up.
Figured I should capitalize on the only thing I was good at.
Got my CS degree, hopped into the field and now breaking 100k a year.
Any time anyone asks me "Do you like your job?" I always tell them:
"I don't mind what I do, but I hate working" but sadly, I need money to survive, so I'm more or less stuck.

I went into the army and after I got out a good paying career basically fell into my lap

this, chemistry major but now in fashion design. kind of related because its good tp know about textiles and materials in a chemical sense but...mostly random.

chenistry is funny because i think its one of the most enlightening things to study regarsing how the world works around you so i would recommend it to everyone, because it makes you sound smart and know about lots of shit, but literally dont even plan to have a related career outside academia because the jobs are such utter shit. its a good "didnt know what to pick" major though.

Shovelware licensed games or real games?

Pay is bad?
He's gone now, but I remember my father making good money. 120k/yr at least.
My plan is to specialize into inorganic chemistry. Lubricants, plastics, and inks etc.
Are the jobs really that bad? I've always been told that the jobs for it are in demand.
I'm still very early into my degree.

>Be born in a third world shit hole look at computer science high salary first world countries need you
Count me in baby

Attached: 1657544616628.jpg (575x606, 46.71K)

That's just how it goes my good man. I feel nothing from coding or software dev, no sense of accomplishment or pride even when it works.
I'm especially not a a part of that whole coding culture, rainbow-colored keyboards and discussing browsers and whatnot...
But I'm good at it, there's a high demand in my country and the pay is decent, even without a degree.
I suppose there is one thing I like about the industry: so far it seems very merit-based, anyone can get in if they're good, anyone can climb the promotion ladder if you have the chops.

>Based anti-tech culture tech-bro
I always see my co-workers doing online workshops, watching tutorial videos and the what not trying to bone up their skills in their free time and I'm just like "Why?"
I mean...I get it if you're not quite up to snuff on something that is vital to your job, but this is unrelated stuff they do to fill some weird level of fulfillment I guess?
I'm with you that I I have no love for the greater tech culture outside my gaming hobbies and needing to do what I do for my job. And like you, I am damn good at what I do. Not from workshops or tutorials, but just from innate skill, and some common sense.
>tfw my senior management telling me I should become a manager
Strait up told him "Fuck that!". I am more than happy with me achieving senior tech and team lead. Fuck ever going into management

You'll be saying the same thing when you do get a job, communication is an absolute pain in the ass especially when people start playing politics and you just want to get from A to fucking B but others keep throwing various detours in your path to pass the puck along because they can't be fucked doing what is needed themselves.

Process of elimination, basically.

Always been a semi-autist interested in computers/technology, so I always knew where to aim in the broader sense. Tried a bit of Web & game development, wasn't for me. Hate interacting with people, especially stupid people, so that takes IT support out of the question. Never liked the idea of being a full-time codemonkey either. Computer repairs? Meh, too basic. Electronic engineering? Nope, too complicated. Linux system administrator? I have some of the skills and I love installing and setting up systems, but I don't like the idea of MAINTAINING them over time. Okay, so something like a Solutions Architect/Consultant? I guess, but I don't want to be like a salesman convincing the suits that my solution is the better one, I just want to look at the requirements, do what needs doing, and fuck off to the next one. Computer networks? Why not, as long as I don't have to maintain them. Network Architect/Designer roles (pic related) sound like a perfect match for my interests and style of work (at least as close to perfect as anything else I can come up with).

Sounds like I have it figured out, huh? I'm almost 30 and I've yet to have a job in the industry...

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-07-21 10-52-43.png (747x209, 178.56K)

>chenistry is funny because i think its one of the most enlightening things to study regarsing how the world works around you so i would recommend it to everyone, because it makes you sound smart and know about lots of shit, but literally dont even plan to have a related career outside academia because the jobs are such utter shit. its a good "didnt know what to pick" major though.
I wish I had done Biochemistry for that same reason