Electronics

I got a free tv but it didn't come with the power cord.

Apparently it should have a 19.5V 6.2A adapter. What if I use a laptop charger that is 19.5V 3.3A? What will happen?
It's just less amps.

Attached: sony.jpg (1599x1200, 300.26K)

as long as its the same voltage its fine, imagine amps as a bank vault, if it can supply more than the device needs, its fine

it won't have enough power, but it won't break anything.

Is it safe to go for more than 6.2 amps?

Anyway, it pisses me off to realize that getting the exact power cord from eBay is almost worth more than the tv itself
Now I realize why I got it for free. And it might not even work. Sigh.

it should work as long as the voltage is correct and it's decently modern (so it has the protection and stuff)

That looks like a power supply, doesn't the TV have on built in? I'm not sure if that's even a problem though. If the TV has a built in power suppy you only need a standard power cable. What's the name of the TV?

also, see the symbol on the top right? the tv should have a similar one near the plug, just be sure the negative and positive sides are the same

just plug it in and try it
its a free tv
you have nothing to lose, the tv was free

sony bravia KDL-48WD653

OP here, the pic is from eBay I own absolutely zero power supplies, cables or nothing.
I'm currently going to a thrift store and buy the closest thing to OP pic

go ask Any Forums

this.

i would double check what others in your situation have done just to be super sure. Search forums ect.

Of course! they just wanna jew ya , pretty sure you can get away with a 3rd party power brick. The psp brings back memories

Didn't know TVs that new had the power supply externally. (Other than the connect box thing with Samsung) Have you looked at ebay, maybe you can get an original cable used for cheap.

>Labels for the TV Model No., Production Date (year/month) and
Power Supply rating are located on the rear of the TV or package.

maybe that helps

There will be a voltage drop. Worst case scenario, smoke and flames. Best, a TV that brownouts.

LOL no, it won't operate properly if it doesn't get the current it requires to operate. The voltage will sagg if the current limit is reached on the ac/dc adapter and the TV will reach a brown out limit and restart.
>t. Electronics engineer

To clarify.
You could use a psu with higher voltage of your desperate. It's not recommended but will most likely work because the TV power input is a switched dc/dc with a recommended voltage of 19.5V. Switching ICs come in voltage ranges, most common is up to 18v, 28v,32-36v and 48v. You most likely have cheap ic with a 28v limit so should work. Also depends on the components around it but will work on a pinch.

OP here I'm back from the store.

I got a 19V 4.7A, that's the closest I could find.

I live in Finland so if I get one from eBay there will be 50 euros of transport costs alone

The laptop charger won't even fit in the hole
Sigh
It's a useless chargie now
The tv has already consumed money of mine

Could I basically use a DC power supply? The kind they used in school for lab class.

The only problem is the connector.

OP here again. I tried with a 14V charger that had a smaller connector.
The tv actualy powered on for a few seconds until switching back to standby mode.
So it works I guess.

You can go more yes, its just the maximum current the power supply can supply.