The problem of evil

1 if an omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent God existed, evil would not exist.
2. Evil exists
Therefore an omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent God does not exist.

What's a good counterargument aside from muh fedora etc.? pic unrelated

Attached: burger_hobbies.jpg (394x311, 41.38K)

>pic related
hot

>pic unrelated
Or maybe not all things considered.
OK Brian

Benevolence for a creator is freedom, not goodness, infinite benevolence would be infinite freedom, not infinite goodness.

Omnipotence covers freedom already. Benevolence and goodness are synonymous.

>1 if an omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent God existed, evil would not exist.
Are we talking about the Hebrew god, Yahweh? Because even the people that invented him never portrayed him as "omnibenevolent". Motherfucker killed whoever he wanted for fun. According to them he fucking drowned everyone because fuck them.

Also if there's a nice god why did he waste 200 million years watching giant lizards rip each other apart, then kill them all because "why not?", and then wait 65 million more years to add his favorite creation, the humans? And then wait 197000 years to talk to them?

Omnipotence does not cover freedom, an all powerful being has no obligation to give it's creations Infinite freedom, only an infinitely benevolent God would.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the freedom of the God itself, because we humans clearly do not have infinite freedom.

>According to them he fucking drowned everyone because fuck them.
I believe the rationale is that he did that because the world had turned wicked so he drowned everyone to purge out the evil.
>Also if there's a nice god why did he waste 200 million years watching giant lizards rip each other apart, then kill them all because "why not?", and then wait 65 million more years to add his favorite creation, the humans? And then wait 197000 years to talk to them?
All that's fake. The universe is TOTALLY less than 10,000 years old.

>he drowned everyone to purge out the evil.
So why is there evil now? If he purged it all out, there shouldn't be any right? Why would he let humans come back again if they just keep pissing him off?

Shit like this makes him seem like a stupid asshole with no power over anything besides the atmosphere. Can he just control the weather and not how evil people are, so it frustrates him then he uses the weather to kill people?

Attached: 1645099785143.jpg (1024x767, 67.32K)

>The universe is TOTALLY less than 10,000 years old.
So why all anthropological and geological evidence indicating otherwise? Do you think God's trying to fool us?

God lets evil occur in order to train us how to overcome it.

>So why is there evil now?
Yeah, good question.
>So why all anthropological and geological evidence indicating otherwise? Do you think God's trying to fool us?
For the sake of argument, let's say Satan is the one trying to fool us.

Do you lack the understanding of free will?

If there were no evil there would be no need to overcome it. Plus a lot of evils don't train or teach the victim anything because they just die.

Lets say some guy is just walking in the woods around minding his own business and some psycho cannibal kills him and eats the body. What the hell is he supposed to "learn" from that, considering he's dead?

Maybe I do. Can you describe free will for us?

>For the sake of argument, let's say Satan is the one trying to fool us.
Satan didn't create this planet, user. Sure he tries to fool us, but he can't plant overwhelming evidence!

>Sure he tries to fool us, but he can't plant overwhelming evidence!
Maybe he can. The Christian conception of Satan paints him as almost as powerful as God. It's funny because in Judaism Satan is nerfed, and he and God are in cahoots.

Humans have the choice to do what they want. We are not like other animals who are just slaves to their instinct. We are capable of creating and thinking and are self-aware.

>inb4 if we are given free will then evil will occur
If god is omniscient and omnipotent then he can create a world free of evil that also has free will, he controls reality itself so it should be a very simple task for him

>Humans have the choice to do what they want.
Or to abstain from doing that, right? Or is free will just being able to do what you want? I've seen it defined both ways.

Person A says: "I wanted to eat the cheese, I had the ability to eat the cheese, and I ate the cheese. It was a free will choice, even if I was always going to end up eating the cheese based on all relevant prior causes such as conditioning that led me to have a positive view of cheese."

Person B says: "I wanted to eat the cheese, but I chose not to. It was a free will choice, because both outcomes were real possibilities, but the one that manifested did so because of my power to resist.

Which is closer to your idea of free will, or is it totally different from both?

>We are capable of creating and thinking and are self-aware.
True, but so are many animal species, just not to the same extent. Animals do think, craft tools, and have varying degrees of self-awareness.

Good point.